Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mark III convertible top question

Post Thanks / Like

Mark III convertible top question

Has anyone done the convertible top for a Mark III, would like some suggestions for the side windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR supplied top comes with windows.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are referring to the premium top, it does come with zip in side curtains. They work well, but are a bit cumbersome, better for longer rides, not in and out errands. Here is my Mk4, not the best photos, but you get the idea

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought this top 12 years ago from Factory Five. It comes with plexiglass windows that slide and three pins in the bottom. Trying to figure out if the front of the window goes inside the windshield frame or just butts up in back of it. If it butts up against it, it seems like if you open the door it might bind. I wish I could find a picture of someone that has it done. The metal bows that go on top of the windshield hit the visor brackets. I don't know if you have to notch out for them. I contacted Factory Five and all of the new people don't really understand the original top that they sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful car John. Top looks great too!

Larry,

you might want to contact Jeff Collins at Whitby Motorcars in Grensboro, NC. I'm pretty sure they were supplying tops for FFR around the time you describe.

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

6. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That type tucks inside the windscreen side bar. There are instructions on the ERA cars web site for fitting. I think Ralph Button has them, along with a few others, they may chime in.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If it butts up against it, it seems like if you open the door it might bind. I wish I could find a picture of someone that has it done. The metal bows that go on top of the windshield hit the visor brackets. I don't know if you have to notch out for them.

The top you describe did not come from Whitby Motors. You have one of the first soft tops offered by FFR.
    To help figure out where your side curtain fits in relation to the windscreen support arm...
    My suggestion is to make a template of the bottom of the side windows. I used a piece of masonite cut to the exact length and width of the side curtains. Then I drilled the holes in it to match where the three posts are located. I think you will find that if you mark the template for the right hand door - then when you flip the template over it's for the left door!
    Now I could place the template on the door to test it's fit. The key to fitting the side curtains is the back pin! If it's too far back on the door it will be in the way of the door closing! Keep that in mind as you place the template on the doors.
    Whitby Motors makes the best ferrules for the doors and the main support bow!

I never had an issue with the brackets for the sun visors and the bow that fits in the channel of the windscreen frame. I put a strip of the D shaped gasket weatherstriping in the channel - glue side up on the bow. It helps seal up the top of the windscreen. Yes I install the D weatherstrip after I fitted the cloth top to the bow. The sun visors little bracket that is screwed into the top of the front window frame I have it facing down.

I glue the cloth top to the bow after I have a chalk make on the top for where the bow is to be glued. I spread the 3M weatherstriping glue on the front of the bow - clamp the cloth to it - use masonite between the clamps to get it all clamped evenly. The put the glue on the inside of the bow - all three sides and I have cut a pieces of wood that fir tightly into the bow and clamp them in place. Remembering to slit the cloth where the head of a - what looks to be a nail can come through.

I have had to do all this three times as my top wears out over time. I use it a lot! It tends to start to wear - rip - where the two bows are glued to the cloth. It has to do with the way you fold up the top to store it in the trunk!

I think I still have a copy of the original directions from FFR for the top install that also may help. I'll look for them tomorrow.
    I have the body in the process of coming off the car now - as I'm getting ready to install a new body on my car. But I'll see if I have some pic's of what I did to install that soft top.

IF you consider not to install the top - I'm always looking to buy the old tops for parts.

Last edited by R. Button; 12-09-2019 at 01:08 AM.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    this is what I have found so far for the original top install from back in 1999!
    toppg1.jpgtoppg2.jpgtoppg3.jpgtoppg4.jpg

I'm working on finding the old templates that are referred to in these old install doc's!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    The plexiglass windows go inside the windshield pillar if they are per the original AC design.

They just slide in as the door closes. Over years they can chew up the top corner of the rag-top.

My top came from a Street Beast Cobra that I adapted to my Mk1.
    Attached Images Attached Images