Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help in Kansas Please

Post Thanks / Like

Help in Kansas Please

Hello everyone, My wife and I are in the very early stages of research into building a Mk IV roadster. The cobra is legendary and I remember seeing them and drooling as a kid. Never thought I would ever be in a place financially to afford building/owning one of these cars. A little about myself: I am a retired Firefighter (33 yrs), and prior to that twisted wrenches for a living (ASE certified). My dad owned a salvage yard and I grew up on a farm so I've been working on my own vehicles since before I could legally drive. I am also a pilot and we currently own a Piper Cherokee. I feel like building the mechanical aspect of the car shouldn't be too difficult for me. The body work however would be an entirely different can of worms. Body work terrifies me. I have done some very minor body repairs in the past and it just didn't work out. So I'm thinking I would have to farm that part of the process out. One thing that I'm going to have to know before we proceed much further is how the car "fits" me. I'm concerned that I may be too big to drive one of these comfortably, especially for an hour or 2. I'm 6'3" and 240 with size 12 shoes. Legroom?? Foot room and pedal clearance?? Thoughts from any roadster owners who are shall we say "upscale"? Is there any members who have a MkIV in the Wichita, Ks area that would be willing to let me sit in the car. I've not had the opportunity to see one of these up close and ask questions. If I can determine that I can fit in one, then we will be selling 1 or 2 "toys" and start a new adventure. I would definitely attend the build school as I think that would help a lot and possibly go to the factory as well to see that operation. Any comments and suggestions are welcome and hopefully, there is someone around Wichita that will let me have a look. Thanks, Jim

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jim,

You are so far ahead of most of us being an ASE Certified Guy that I can honestly say that You've Got This Brother!
    I'm a Wrench Swinging Banker and this is what I've been able to do plus I've changed all sorts of stuff to build my dream.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...4orIm7w/videos

You will need Kirkey Vintage Low Back or Type 55 Drag Seats, and I'd suggest going with a SBF (Short Deck) to give you some wiggle room in the foot box.
    Also, David Hodgkins can really help with the Big Guy Fitment Issues since he is 6'6" with even bigger feet and has got some workable foot box tricks.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-03-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, thanks for your reply and suggestions. Mine will definitely have Ford power (Ford blue runs in my veins). Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by atticrat View Post
    Steve, thanks for your reply and suggestions. Mine will definitely have Ford power (Ford blue runs in my veins). Jim
    Sorry you don't want to wander off the Blue Oval Reservation, but not everybody chooses the path of the Dark Side.

Check out this video and those that follow and it will give you a pretty good idea as to what is involved.

https://youtu.be/NnJdjMKDC_g?list=PL...VS-CVcPoK4x6lB

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I agree with Steve, You've got this. you just need to go for it and don't look back. It seems to me the SBF are smaller than the Coyote engines and there may be more room to expand the DS FB to accommodate your feet, however, you should look up Straversi's thread because i think he installed a coyote and expanded the DS FB. I'm 5'11" with size 11 shoes and non expanded FFR footbox seems a bit tight to me but my DD is a Dodge 2500 RAM. Lastly, I too have no experience and have been intimidated with the thought of "body work", however, I am about to embark on it to a degree. Mainly because I enjoy working on this thing so much I can't keep my hands off it.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I once saw a '69 or '70 Corvette that had an FE ford big block tucked very neatly under the hood. You rarely see that! It's almost always the other way around. Made me smile when I saw it....A LOT!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'2" and well past 240. I agree the seat makes a huge difference. I'm using the kirkey classic seat. It dropped me about 1.5" down. Where is your height come from though. I'm about even in the torso and legs. So.e people are long leg and short torso. With the expanded footboxes that are standard on the newer models, I think you'll be fine. In any case FFR is the most adaptable all the makes out there. I even adjusted my steering wheel a little farther away on my MKII. Sold that on and building another. We've had plenty of taller people come to our meetings and try out different cars as well. You might look for some local people to you that have one to sit in. Dont know how far you are from KC but there is an an active group there. Mid-America Cobra Club. Like others, I'd say go for it.
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 5'10" and 190lbs with 10.5E shoe. For me, the biggest concern was the pedal placement. I have the FFR supplied gas pedal and Wilwood brake and clutch pedals. The only adjustment I had to make was offsetting the brake and clutch pedal pads to the left to prevent my big foot from hitting the brake when going for the gas. The car is small, so if you possess superior girth in your torso and upper body, be prepared to get cozy with the door. Also, the top of the windshield isn't very tall, so a long torso may put your head above the windshield frame; hence the recommendation for the racing seats.

I'm sure you'll find a willing member closer to home, but if you find yourself in the Denver area, you're more than welcome to test fit my car.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I'm 5'10" and 190lbs with 10.5E shoe = Flippers.
    Bet You Are A Fast Swimmer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the responses so far. All info and suggestions are much appreciated. Hadn't thought about torso to leg ratio TBull. I think I'm kinda average. I wear 36" inseams. I've looked for the local Cobra club in Wichita and can't find anything on them so maybe they're not active anymore?? One of our daughters lives in a suburb of KC Kansas so maybe I'll look up the Mid America Club sometime. I've also wondered about the width inside from door to door. Could be cozy as Dave suggests although we have flown our Cherokee from Kansas to DC area which is about 8.5 hours with the wife beside me in the cockpit. Piper specs on our particular model says the cockpit width is 44". Definitely cozy. You don't want to have a fight with your passenger in there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With legs that long you can step over all sorts of stuff.

Check out my Land Striding Brother entering and exiting the engine bay.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Reach out to David Hodgkins for all you Land Strider Fittment needs.

He'll give you the scoop for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve, I PM'd David Hodgkins earlier today. Awaiting a reply. Hope he has some encouraging info for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim:
    I grew up in Newton. I had many of the same questions in my "Honest questions" thread in the Roadster section. I tried to sit in an early FFR Cobra and did not fit, I'm 6.1 and 205. From my research, this has been substantially fixed with the Mark iV but you may want to consider the Kirkey seats instead of the normal FFR seats for added leg room. As for size 12 shoes I have no idea. I'm only 10.5. I'm planning on build school this year. Let me know which one you might attend.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve. I have a good friend that lives in the Newton area who also retired from the Fire Department. It sounds like I definitely need to find a MKIV to sit in, and preferably one with the Kirkey seats. I was hoping to hear from David Hodgkins by now but haven't. Not sure how to contact him other than by PM. Unfortunately, computers are not my friend. I don't do facebook or any other social media. I'm looking in to contacting someone with the Mid America Cobra Club out of KC. Maybe someone up there has a MKIV that I can try on. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by atticrat View Post
    One of our daughters lives in a suburb of KC Kansas so maybe I'll look up the Mid America Club sometime.

Contact Richard Oben at NorthRacears.com. (816)436-1610

He lives in Blue Springs MO, and will be able to get you in touch with the KC MidAmericaCobra group.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    Derald, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get in touch with Mr. Oben. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,

I'm in Kearney Nebraska. I'd be happy to let you check out my car, if you can't find anything closer. It's not completed yet, but would give you an idea of what you are getting into. I have a friend, also in Kearney, that has a finished MK3 that would probably be willing to let you sit in his.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines