Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: MK3 orphan kit build

Post Thanks / Like

MK3 orphan kit build

I have been a junior member on this site for the last several months since I purchased an orphaned kit and have found it to be a great resource. I'm making great progress and it's time to identify myself, the project and post a few pictures.

A local builder that frequents this site recently checked out my project and made a great catch of identifying the defective Bilstein shocks. The previous owner started building the Roadster as a race car but ended up buying a Panzo for his race itch and lost interest. This 2007 kit has sat untouched for a long time before he passed away. The unique thing he did was have a body shop fit the body and paint once it first became a roller so I have no idea how everything will fit and what pitfalls I will come across from such old stored components. Any ideas for things to check out would be appreciated. As an example the Mustang tires and wheels have 2006 date codes so the almost new tires are useless for anything but a burn out. My new wheels and sticky tires arrive by UPS today. After probably 30 parts orders and a few months work I will probably start wiring in a month and then on to first start, then interior and hopefully body fitting.

2007 vintage MK3, no donor car so all core parts new
    new 1995 Ford 302 long block GT-40 heads roller cam 9:1 compression
    used Demon 4 barrel- still looking for a manual or electric choke kit
    used MSD ignition- came with 3000 chip so need recommendations
    new TKO 5 speed with lower ratio 5th
    new Cobra brakes, 13" front
    FFR front suspension, IRS rear with new T-bird LSD,
    aftermarket aluminum fuel tank, Autometer gages, front and real anti-sway bars

The pictures from cell phone need rotated. How do you do that?

I see I may have jumped the gun by this post so I added basic information to registry. Regardless I am asking questions about pitfalls to finish.

IMG_5292.jpgIMG_5141.JPGIMG_5130.jpg
    Last edited by Scottmillhouse; 12-05-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added registry text reference

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your pictures are correct on your phone, but rotated on the forum, try editing the size of the picture to make it smaller. That has worked for me.
    I’m likely one of the least knowledgeable people on the forum so I’ll leave any comments on your concerns to those that know what they’re doing. Looks like a great project and beautiful paint color. She’ll look great when done!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    my phone does the same - I just hold the phone the up the other way. Seems the phone rotates the pictures and the web site does not.
    Looks like a it will be a good looking car. Have fun with it.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this site is just f'd up handling photo's. All mine are downloaded to iPhoto on my computer first, and now matter how I position the picture, most are wrong when displayed here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion: Use the forum gallery for pictures. Then instead of adding as attachments in your posts, you paste the URL. Plus you will have a nice picture gallery with everything in one place. Also they show up in the other forum if you're posting there as well. Instructions are here: Looks more complicated than it is. Just a few clicks once you get the hang of it. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tures-in-posts. My Gen 3 Coupe build thread (link in my sig line below) has a ton of pictures and all from the forum image gallery. All are properly oriented and no bad words necessary.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you hold your phone in it's normal upright (button on the bottom) orientation, the photo will come out correctly on the forum. If you take the photo sideways, or upside down, it will be wrong. The reason for this is that your phone stores this information (Exif orientation metadata) and uses it to specify how it should be presented.

My solution to this dilemma was to download GIMP. It's a open source - free - photo editor. As soon as you open a photo in GIMP, it will identify that you may want to rotate it and will do so at the click of your mouse. Then you export it and can upload it to - at least in my case - the forum gallery. Hope this helps!

GNU Image Manipulation Program: www.gimp.org
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount