Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Shop Floor Coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Shop Floor Coating?

Now that my 40 x 80 foot shop has passed inspection, I am looking for ideas on floor coatings. What did you use and do you like it.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Look into Race Deck flooring

https://racedeck.com/?gclid=EAIaIQob...SAAEgIHefD_BwE

Thanks

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used a 2 stage epoxy with paint chips. Looks great and is impervious to fluids. Costly but with it in my opinion. Cost me about $4k for a pro to do my 30 x 50. If you do it yourself, make sure the concrete is cured enough and prepped right. Here’s a picture of mine:

436DFCA5-B2BC-4EAA-9BFC-16F01D813D5A.jpg

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Henry hit on two main points that have to be taken into account: the concrete has to be cured enough (I remember something like 30 days) and the surface preparation is key.
    I used Armor Garage coating with an industrial top coat in my 4 car attached garage and really like it. I've had oil and even brake fluid sit on it without noticing ill effects.
    If you do a 2 part epoxy with proper prep, you should be good with the brand you choose.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my epoxy coated floor. One note. I chose gray floor with red, black and white chips. Looks great and “pops” when you see it. Only downside is it’s the BEST camo in the world!! Drop a washer, bolt or nut on it and it’s gone!! I’ve resorted to using a magnet to find stuff. Doesn’t work though for stainless.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree! I did my last garage floor (32 x 50 I think) with the epoxy kits, gray color with white, gray and black chips. Looked great and held up well for the 7 years I used the garage. I would caution anyone not to add the chips. They hide everything small that falls on the floor! I will be doing my new garage in the spring and definitely will leave out the chips.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using :Rust-Oleum 238468 Epoxy Shield Esh-06 Professional true epoxy based Floor Coating Kit
    NOT :Rust-Oleum 2-Part High-Gloss Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Kit which looks similar but not really epoxy ( it much cheaper )
    Rust-Oleum professional at Home depot is about $199
    Rust-Oleum standard is only about $115

HOWEVER on amazon you can get the Professional grade Rust-Oleum for about $110 almost half the price of lowes or home depot

coverage is not as good as stated so purchase more then you think you need . I also purchased lots of extra chips and broad casted them with hand held fertilizer spreader for more even coverage

Just be care full to get the professional it is stated right on the box, both box's looks the same.

AS stated before the work is in the prep !!!
    Herb
    Last edited by herb fraser; 12-06-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Garage-Floors

I epoxyed my garage/shop/basement and love it. I've done a bunch of them now on the budget build (Rustoleum kit and elbow grease), and have had great results.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the comments. I will be using a company called Garage King and they will be installing a three part system after grinding the floor to open up the surface allowing better penetration. Cost will be $2.75/sq. ft. I like the idea of no or a chip that is not to "busy".
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One more thing to consider. Chips make the floor much less slippery.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    For more opinions....
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

12. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    And you get discounts at Racedeck for being a member...

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have any plans to weld you should rethink the idea of coating the concrete.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build