Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frontal area, coefficient of drag?

Post Thanks / Like

Frontal area, coefficient of drag?

Does anybody have any of this data? I'd like to input into a simulation. Thank you! I'm looking for specifically at the R version

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to have this data also. Not likely going to be found anywhere outside of Factory Five themselves (if they even have it). If you need a ROUGH estimate, might be able to calculate frontal area based on measurements...but that’s an involved process in and of itself. Maybe email Pete Brock and ask him? lol

How close would comparing other cars get you? Nissan 280Z, Dodge Viper, Ferrari 250 GTO, Jaguar E-Type... take an average?
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand what it's all a secret. But anyhow. Yes, I would like the data. I am assuming cd of 0.3x. The Cobra had a frontal area of 16. or 18. And a CD of .42 or .55

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't Pete Brock say something about a barn door?
    Less is Less

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Mea...t-of-your-car/

Play with this and let us know how it worked for you.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Ffr modeled the car off an original, so if it was me, i would not care about cd. just making the car look like the original?

Past that, this is an interesting thread, hopefully there are some "scientific type data" posts coming!
    Last edited by Just puttering; 12-08-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.secondstrike.com/Coupe/Brock.html

Not sure who the author of this piece is but if you believe this story, the cd for the Daytona Coupe was never determined but the author claims he's estimated it at .29. And if the FFR coupe is identical that may be a good estimate.

As for the other piece of the equation, frontal area is not that difficult to estimate.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhere, don't remember where, I read that the Daytona Coupe was low .3's. But that's not telling more than what most would guess. BTW, this is similar to C5 Corvettes. Anybody ask FFR? They did a lot of wind tunnel testing of the Gen 3, they should have the values. While I'd guess that the varieties of coupes should be close, the individual configurations are probably all different.

The Cobra roadster on the other hand has been said to be more aerodynamic going sideways than forward. Barns and Greyhound buses have been mentioned as improvements. It takes a lot of juice to get one going 150+, pretty much everything I had but that was in 4th.

Just for info. From a Superformance sales brochure when they introduced the Brock Coupe in 2003, the indicated CD is given as .28. That body is listed as 175" long, 73.6" wide and 49.2" tall. Wheelbase is 93.2", track F/R is 56.5"/58.3". Ground clearance is 6.25", tires listed as 255/45-18 & 285/50-18.

Jim