Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: transmission tunnel cover

Post Thanks / Like

transmission tunnel cover

has anyone mention that there trans.tunnel cover doesn't fit well. mine seems to be bent too wide, therefore its bowed in the center and sticks up making in impossible to screw it down on the top.. i don't have a brake to reform it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not Factory Five but you may/may not get a response from them. Don't know how actively this area is monitored. I see from your other posts it appears you're talking about a Mk4 Roadster. Probably would help to mention that since there are many other models offered. When you get more posts (20 I believe) you can add your build info into your signature line. For your trans tunnel cover, hard to say how bad it is without more description or pictures. But many of us make them removable so only attach them along the edges. Putting rivets through the top, like they show in the manual, isn't a requirement. Maybe it's OK as is?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Edwardb,

What are common needs to have the transtunnel cover removable?

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm not Factory Five but you may/may not get a response from them. Don't know how actively this area is monitored. I see from your other posts it appears you're talking about a Mk4 Roadster. Probably would help to mention that since there are many other models offered. When you get more posts (20 I believe) you can add your build info into your signature line. For your trans tunnel cover, hard to say how bad it is without more description or pictures. But many of us make them removable so only attach them along the edges. Putting rivets through the top, like they show in the manual, isn't a requirement. Maybe it's OK as is?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a thicker, aftermarket transmission tunnel. It comes without the center hole so you can drill your own. Looks like it'll work great so far, I just plan on using some strong velcro strip along the sides to hold it in place.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can trim it to fit without the 90 degree bends facing down if you want to. I have done this in the past on some MK4's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    Edwardb,

What are common needs to have the transtunnel cover removable?
    Mainly because it makes the transmission easier to install and remove. Whether attached to the engine as one unit, or removing it by separating from the engine. In addition to access for lifting, often it's necessary to remove the shifter assembly. Way easier with the cover removed. A secondary reason, and not so important probably, is many including me prefer to cover the trans cover with something other than carpet. Vinyl or leather wrapped around the edges, often with stitched corners, is a nice look. Pretty much requires the cover isn't permanently attached.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Mainly because it makes the transmission easier to install and remove. Whether attached to the engine as one unit, or removing it by separating from the engine. In addition to access for lifting, often it's necessary to remove the shifter assembly. Way easier with the cover removed. A secondary reason, and not so important probably, is many including me prefer to cover the trans cover with something other than carpet. Vinyl or leather wrapped around the edges, often with stitched corners, is a nice look. Pretty much requires the cover isn't permanently attached.