Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: windshield glass?

Post Thanks / Like

windshield glass?

my stupid glass guy broke my 2nd windshield (cuz he is an idiot!) I need to find and get some info to the glass company on what the glass is from.

I called FF5 and they told me the 818S glass is custom for the car and is not from any particular model. I thought I had heard the glass was an MR2 glass?!?

if so has anyone put in an aftermarket one and how did it fit?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It's from a toyota MR2. Spyder or not, doesn't matter. I believe the year is ~2002
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure why they say its a custom one from them?!? to push a sale?!? did you actually install one from an MR2? just curious how it fit?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally it was from the mr2. It still is but they have the glass made specifically for them now and it has the ffr logo on the glass so it's custom in that sense. Every window in my now coupe has the ffr logo on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Originally it was from the mr2. It still is but they have the glass made specifically for them now and it has the ffr logo on the glass so it's custom in that sense. Every window in my now coupe has the ffr logo on it.
    Not sure what you mean be originally.
    I have chassis #21 and #22 and they both have ffr logo etched in the glass.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I just cant believe how much trouble I have with this glass, I will try and source a 02 MR2 windshield locally first as long as it fits right, also did anyony else have sagging in there windshield frame at the top in the center? even my new frame has it. A 2x4 holds it up in place to keep the glass shape but I am worried that it may pull down and stress the glass in the middle. any one else have to push the center up?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought back in the design phase they did say it was an MR2 windshield.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding sagging, yes. Very common. Just use a 2x4 to push it up in the center and leave it in place for 48 hours after window installation before removing it. There is some stress but windshield glass has flex and memory kind of like fiberglass so both the glass and the frame will learn their new position and be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to the 2x4
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone taken apart the windshield frame?
    I'm curious how far the steel goes.

Just a note. I did not paint the exposed steel on the windshield frame. It is rusty ugly now. Paint it before mounting.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My chassis 127 has a third party logo and the part number on the stickers cross referenced to a mr2. It's still the same glass but I'm betting they ran out of glass that was made for them and got more from local vendors quicker to meet demand. The steel also goes about 4-6" up the frame. You can look through the frame hole and see where it stops.

Post Thanks / Like
    The steel also goes about 4-6" up the frame. You can look through the frame hole and see where it stops.
    Wow, I was expecting a lot further than that.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoke to soon. Sorry my bad but I don't know if what I'm actually looking at makes me feel any more comfortable. I have my S Windsheild hanging and I just checked it out. Looks like from what I can see is maybe half the distance up the frame. I can snap a pic later the thing that is worrying is how flimsy it is. My glass vibrated a lot where I couldn't look out of the rear view mirror or I would start to get sick.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are seeing the end of one of the gussets, the main steel bar goes most of the way up the windshield pillar, probably 14 inches or so. (don't have one to measure at home)
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I changed my statement to about halfway up the frame. That's just looking up from the slotted bar that meets the frame. I'm just comparing the 2 mounts from S to C and they appear to be the same which is to be expected. I feel safer in the C because my glass is fixed. It's all perception. I know there is no more steel around me than what's in a normal S

Post Thanks / Like
    My glass vibrated a lot where I couldn't look out of the rear view mirror or I would start to get sick.
    Fireblade,
    We are not seeing bad mirror vibration. In this video we are at 120 going by the flag stand. Our Camera mount on the rear motor cover is vibrating.
    Bob

https://youtu.be/eCA8-Xm-Zgk

Post Thanks / Like
    What didn't help my case was that I had to switch to regular hex bolts on one side. When I got my chassis one of the slotted holes for the windsheild was messed up from ffr. Mine would vibrate above 75 definitely throwing a pin into the frame so there are 3 points of contact would help rotation occurring. It's no big deal for me since I went to a coupe and don't plan on switching that often.
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 06-18-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reviving this old thread now that I have a cracked windshield
    IMG_5149.JPG

Some research from the info on the glass
    DOT 129. Viracon inc. Owatonna,Mn,USA
    M117. Mfg part number to identify other options
    FW 2166. NAGS/Precision part number for PPG molding use (00-02 Toyota MR2 Spyder).
    Called F5 today....didn't get a call back
    Located one locally for $ 200 including tax

Jet

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first one broke just hanging on the wall, after about 6 months. Roadster kit guys have 'em break now and then too. Must be made of glass...

OEM info for 818:

toyota MR2 1.8L MT 2-Dr Coupe/Convertable 2000-2003 glass OEM_PN: 5610117020, supercedes 56101-17020, $663.36

20. Thanks Jetfuel thanked for this post