Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Possibly politically incorrect post

Post Thanks / Like

Question Possibly politically incorrect post

This post has nothing to do with politics and I have the utmost respect for FFR. I was watching Youtube videos on Stacey David's build of an SL-C. During the videos they kind of slam FFR. The car looks nice but is much more expensive. Other than the aluminum monocoque chassis the rest of the kit looks similar to an FFR build. Since I'm a newb here please cut me some slack if this is an off the table conversation. Anyway, wondering what everybody thinks about this car.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The SL-C is a very nice car and so are the FFRs. Build what you like but first do your research. See if there are any cars local so you can check them out in person and possible get a ride in them. talk to the builders / owners. The factory five forum here is a huge support system for knowledge. Make sure the the SL-C has a good support system so you can finish the car in the style you would like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll tread very lightly here since mostly not first hand. But a friend that lives close is building an RCR GT-40. Comes out of the same shop as the SL-C here in SE Michigan. I've had a chance to visit and look it over in some detail. It's somewhere past half done. Roller with the engine installed when I was there. It has a bunch of billet aluminum parts, e.g. pretty much the whole front and rear suspensions. Beautiful stuff and impressive to look at. Fiberglass looked decent too. Feedback from the builder? In a different league price-wise from FFR, so not a completely fair comparison in that regard. Small company, so while very willing to help and ask questions, can take several days. Nothing like the owner support system Factory Five, e.g. this forum. Makes sense based on the relatively low volume compared to Factory Five. My buddy also said (without going into a lot of detail) there are multiple challenges along the way, and not any fewer than the Factory Five 33 hot rod he built. Now a little of that needs some context because they're putting a Coyote in it, which is challenging to say the least. But they're not perfect either. I'll leave it there. But then it is a GT40 and will be super cool when done. Nothing quite like it from Factory Five. Same could be said for the SL-C. Have seen finished ones in person and also certainly very cool.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the kit business, FFR is top dog. They have more cars on the road than any other kit maker in the world, ever. When you want to claim your product is the best, you compare it to the real best.

In 2000, I went to the Kit Car Nationals, at Carlisle. I had a list of my top 5 choices. I spoke with the first 4, and they all said the same thing: "Our car is better than Factory Five because.....". When I spoke with the FFR rep, he said: "Our car is the best because.....". I went home and ordered a FFR.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It's apples and oranges. RCR cars are 150k+ finished products. My friend has a RCR GT. Incredible car, the suspension is a work of art. He owns a pantera mechanic shop and this project took him over a year and $150,000 to complete.

FFR makes incredible kits for a great price. I feel, the engineering and development exceeds RCR. The materials they use are less expensive with higher volume equals a better price point.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine asked me to check into building a RCR GT40. Using a Porsche Transaxle and a Rousch 427 stacked engine, parts would come in at around 85 K , Depending on local priceing for labor and paint could take it to 130k 150seems like real high labor prices and crazy paint and body. I wish I could charge that.