Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: IRS complete kit or IRS after?

Post Thanks / Like

Question IRS complete kit or IRS after?

Hey all, the title doesn't exactly ask the right question but, I didn't want to make it too long. What I am asking is...If I've got the desire and ability should I source a used complete IRS and fit it to the frame or just go the factory five route and get it pre-mounted?

From what I've been able to see on sites like E-Bay there are some pretty affordable "complete" IRS's out there, that look like they come with brakes and a third member. If I was able to secure one of these, how are they attached to the frame? Has anyone done a write up? I've got access to a pretty talented welder/fabricator thats done some pretty nice work on his own projects, I just don't know how the IRS's fit to the frames of these cars. I know that this has been a retrofit for a while so hoping to hear from some of you guys that might have tackled this in the past. My biggest question is, would this be "worth" the time and money or would it end up costing me way more in the end and should have just got it done a that the factory? Lets say for the sake of this conversation that I could get the whole (Including brakes and third member) IRS for $1000 shipped.

An additional question would be, what gear ratio would I look for? I'll most likely be going with a mild 351W/TKO600 combo.

Cheers!

2. Thanks speedfreak1211, Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally haven't, but I've seen several retrofits of IRS into a solid axle car. It's highly custom and not supported by Factory Five. Maybe makes sense for an already built car where the change was desired and the will exists. But for a new build, makes no sense at all. The Roadster frame is highly specialized for the IRS setup. Highly recommend to start that way from the beginning on a new build. A complete Mustang IRS assembly (e.g. pallet) has only a handful of parts that will work. I know. My #8674 started with a 2015 Mustang GT complete rear suspension. All I used was the center section (differential) and the knuckles/hubs. It is possible to also use the brakes from the right model. But my build was with Wilwood brakes, so can't offer much about that. But likely usable from a complete Mustang IRS assembly. The rest, e.g. upper and lower a-frames, axles, the IRS frame, shocks, etc. are not compatible. When you select the IRS option, you get the proper chassis setup and all the rest of the parts except the already mentioned center section, knuckles/hubs, and brakes. Short answer to your last question -- a complete and good pallet for $1000? Yes, that's a good deal, but you'd still only use the parts mentioned. You'd probably be looking at a 3.55 or 3.31 ratio. The 3.15 is another option, but be careful. That diff can't be changed to any other ratio. But you need to look at the proper ratio based on a number of factors.

Just to give you an idea, this is the bare Roadster frame for IRS. And then the completed setup. This has the optional sway bar and double adjustable shocks, which you may or may not want or need. These instructions from Factory Five also give a lot of detail. https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...2015-REV-D.pdf

Last edited by edwardb; 12-07-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Thanks natehall37, Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get it built for IRS. I did a retrofit of the FFR 2015 IRS into my old MkII so it is absolutely possible, but it is a ton of work. Also you need good welding skills especially in vertical and overhead welding. I am using the OEM rear brakes from my salvage rear suspension. I have the 315 gear and it works out great w/ my mild torguey 408 engine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

6. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post

Get it built for IRS.

I have the 315 gear and it works out great w/ my mild torguey 408 engine.

+1

To be clear, you really want the IRS framework welded in while the frame is in FFR's frame jig - you'll have enough problems going cross eyed deciding what is "straight + perfect" back there without having to worry about the frame welds.

So your choices are IRS complete kit or IRS base kit.

I too am running a 3.15 gear with a torquey not too mild 393w.

I'd figure 3.27 to 3.55 max on a mild 351 / TKO.

I aim to gear fast cars for bumping the rev limit in 3rd in the 1/8 mile + 4th in the 1/4 mile.

Works for me.

8. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for posting this question natehall37....was wondering the same.
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 12-07-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get it done at the factory. NO IRS will 'bolt in'.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

11. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought mine last year the fall sale included $2500 worth of free upgrades, last summer it was up to $3000. That $2500 went directly towards my IRS, which made it a no-cost upgrade. You still need the center section, spindles and brakes, but this makes for a very easy time of installation. I am more than pleased with the ride of car with this upgrade. I really didn’t expect the car to ride this well.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

13. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the well informed replies guys, It's all kinda along the lines of what I expected. What I was hoping for was, "Heck yes! I don't know why more people don't do that." I know it wouldn't be an easy task, but I thought more of the structure and components might be compatible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely order with IRS. I went that way and bought an IRS pallet from Parts Farm in GA, should be here Monday. $800 shipped with Center section, hubs, knuckles, brakes....everything I need. With what it was going to cost for a solid axle with brakes it was a no brainer.

16. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In order to build a roadster with IRS, you need to order the kit with the IRS option, you also need to source a complete 2015+ mustang IRS unit like the ones you see on ebay.
    FFR IRS option welds all the correct mounts to the frame and provides the KONI coil-overs, tubular control arms, and CV axles. the parts you need to source are the center section, hubs, and brakes from the sourced Mustang.

so the cost would be
    $2899 for the FFR IRS option and
    what ever cost you would buy the mustang IRS unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    +1 on IRS I went with the Factory Five IRS option. I bought a salvage 2016 mustang IRS Assy. $800 delivered. I am very very happy with the ride everyone who rides in the car, and how compliant the ride is.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Please disregard my question below. On the manual that Edwardb posted, it states Parts needed 2015 or newer!.....Thank you!

Gents, I wanted to get clarification.

Is the donor IRS strictly 2015 or is it 2015 and present?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 12-26-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    2015 until now, or to put it another way, 2015 to 2019. I just don't know enough about 2020 models to include them. I suspect they would work but don't know for sure.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

21. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went with FFR IRS option for the chassis. then sourced a used IRS rear-end from ebay. I found a 2018 complete rear-end with 11k miles for $900.

23. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool! I might consider going that route as well!

Quote Originally Posted by madkow70 View Post
    I went with FFR IRS option for the chassis. then sourced a used IRS rear-end from ebay. I found a 2018 complete rear-end with 11k miles for $900.

Post Thanks / Like
    does this include all that would be needed? does it matter if it is from an automatic? do all of the 2015 and newer come with torsen gears? thanks for the info. Jake
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-2019-F...MAAOSw2Vdd3Aq7

26. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasNMe View Post
    does this include all that would be needed? does it matter if it is from an automatic? do all of the 2015 and newer come with torsen gears? thanks for the info. Jake
    All you really need is the center section and the knuckles/hubs. You may be able to use the brakes, but I don't know enough about the 2015+ OE brakes to say one way or the other. Those looked pretty roasted anyway. The rest (upper/lower control arms, CV axles, IRS cradle, etc.) is all scrap metal. Nothing is compatible with a Factory Five build. I've tried selling these parts on Craigslist and eBay with little to no luck. Just not a market for that stuff. They used to only have the Torsen (misspelled in the ad BTW) with the 3.73 ratio. Looks like Ford is now selling the Mustang Performance Pack with Torsen in the 3.73 for manual and 3.55 for automatic. Since that Mustang is an automatic, looks like the 3.55 version. The Torsen is supposed to be an upgrade. You'll get different opinions, but should work very well for you. The automatic may take a different driveshaft adapter, but even that's changed over the model years. One way or the other, it will work.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-26-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

28. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It seems like if we were to buy this ebay one just for the ctr section, spindles and hubs it’s not very cost effective.

FFR’s is close in price:

16668 - 2018 Mustang IRS 3.55 Center Section, Spindles, and Hubs (Watch Video) +$1,499.00

Quote Originally Posted by ChasNMe View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    It seems like if we were to buy this ebay one just for the ctr section, spindles and hubs it’s not very cost effective.

FFR’s is close in price:

16668 - 2018 Mustang IRS 3.55 Center Section, Spindles, and Hubs (Watch Video) +$1,499.00
    You can find IRS parts in salvage cheaper than that one. The Torsen (vs. standard clutch packs) adds value, which may or may not be of any value to you. When new, the Torsen diff is twice the price of the standard version like Factory Five sells. Which is fine BTW. Bigger question is whether you want to rehab used parts or start new, and not have any surprises.

31. Likes Aircontroller liked this post