Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rim Offset questions

Post Thanks / Like

Rim Offset questions

First off...Merry Christmas. Secondly, I have never been a big fan of the Halibrand wheels. Everyone has them and If I purchased them, I would want to paint them black right off the bat. I have been looking at various other rims in the 18" sizes and I definitely like the idea of a big lip. I like the XXR 530D wheels in 18x9 and 18x10.5. The only issues is they only come in 2 different offsets, either 20mm or 35mm. I know the FFR site calls for 24mm offset for the 9" rim and 27mm offset for the 10.5" rim. Has anyone used any different offsets than the standard 24/27mm?? I guess what I am trying to ask is if these will fit and does anyone have any other wheel options other than the Halibrand that fit our roadsters? Thank you for your time and ideas.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As a general rule of thumb any wheel that fits a 1994-2004 Mustang will fit a MK-4 Roadster.
    I'm running 10th Anniversary wheels 17 X 9's (5.94" Back Spacing) up front and 17 X 10's out back (6.10" Back Spacing)

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk

Hope These Links Help:

https://lmr.com/products/94-04-Mustang-Wheels

https://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheel-Si...tang/year/2000

https://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04...eels-rims.html
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-25-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I’ll look at the links.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    As a general rule of thumb any wheel that fits a 1994-2004 Mustang will fit a MK-4 Roadster.
    I'm running 10th Anniversary wheels 17 X 9's (5.94" Back Spacing) up front and 17 X 10's out back (6.10" Back Spacing)

[url]https://youtu.be

Hope These Links Help:

https://lmr.com/products/94-04-Mustang-Wheels

https://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheel-Si...tang/year/2000

https://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04...eels-rims.html
    So the back spacing would be the same also?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsond003 View Post
    So the back spacing would be the same also?
    The back spacing can and usually is a little different between manufacturers; however, if they fit that generation of Mustang you are pretty much A-Okay.
    I just don't do well with the "Offset Measurement" and do better with knowing the backspacing instead.

Here are the specs for the Halibrand Style Wheels offered by Factory Five Racing:

Front Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 17"x 9"
    Front Wheel Backspace: 6.00" (24mm Offset)

Rear Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 17"x 10.5"
    Rear Wheel Backspace: 6.7" (27mm Offset)

Front Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 18"x 9"
    Front Wheel Backspace: 6.00" (24mm Offset)

Rear Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 18"x 11"
    Rear Wheel Backspace: 6.46" (12mm Offset)
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-25-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The back spacing can and usually is different between manufacturers; however, if they fit that generation of Mustang you are pretty much A-Okay.
    I just don't do well with the "Offset Measurement" and do better with knowing the backspacing instead.
    Hope This Helps & Merry Christmas!
    Looking at your YouTube video, your front tires look like they stick out a little too much??

7. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking at your YouTube video, your front tires look like they stick out a little too much??
    I still need to align the front end, but I do wish my front wheels had a 6.10 - 6.20 front back spacing instead of 5.94.
    I'm at ZERO-ish for CAMBER so I will be pulling that in to .5 to .7 Degrees which may help.

Shown below are the specs recommended by Jeff Kleiner (A Well Known Expert Dude) for my manual rack set up:

Street car with manual steering;
    .5 to .75 degree negative camber
    3 degrees positive caster
    1/16" to 3/32" total toe in
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-25-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't deal w/ offset either. It can be worked out but backspace is easy to understand and I can measure it myself on any wheel I have. My point is, if you have a little more backspace than is ideal then a spacer can fix that problem. IE; Ideal BS is 6" and the wheel you want is only available in 6.5" BS. That wheel + a 1/2" spacer and you have your 6" BS. You can only go so far before needing longer studs but even they are not a big problem to buy and install.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

10. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still need to align the front end, but I do wish my front wheels had a 6.10 - 6.20 front back spacing instead of 5.94.
    I'm at ZERO-ish for CAMBER so I will be pulling that in to .5 to .7 Degrees which may help.

Shown below are the specs recommended by Jeff Kleiner (A Well Known Expert Dude) for my manual rack set up:

Street car with manual steering;
    .5 to .75 degree negative camber
    3 degrees positive caster
    1/16" to 3/32" total toe in
    Makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    . I like the XXR 530D wheels in 18x9 and 18x10.5. The only issues is they only come in 2 different offsets, either 20mm or 35mm. I know the FFR site calls for 24mm offset for the 9" rim and 27mm offset for the 10.5" rim. Has anyone used any different offsets than the standard 24/27mm?? .
    I recommend 18x9 35mm in front and 18x10.5 20mm at rear. The FFR wheels are flush with the front fender. The 35mm offset in the front would prevent rubbing on the lip and will allow running 275 tires.

For the rear, FFR 17x10.5 27mm are tucked in. FFR 18x11 have 12mm offset. 20mm will fit well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    I recommend 18x9 35mm in front and 18x10.5 20mm at rear. The FFR wheels are flush with the front fender. The 35mm offset in the front would prevent rubbing on the lip and will allow running 275 tires.

For the rear, FFR 17x10.5 27mm are tucked in. FFR 18x11 have 12mm offset. 20mm will fit well.
    Thank you