BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad's MKIV Build - Delivered 1/3/20!

Post Thanks / Like

Brad's MKIV Build - Delivered 1/3/20!

First off, I have been following the FB page and forums for some time and finally pulled the trigger on a Complete Kit. Having wrote the check yesterday (ouch) it became real enough to get a build thread started with the anticipation of needing a LOT of guidance from the amazing depth of knowledge in this group. Below is what I have planned:

MKIV complete kit (12\21 FF completion date)
    18" Halibrands
    IRS
    Gen3 Coyote - Not yet ordered
    TKO 600 - Not yet ordered
    Paint TBD

Personally, my family and I live in Huntersville, NC. Wife Karen, Son Connor(14), and daughter Casey (11). One of the large reasons for the project is to get the boy in the garage and learn to use his hands. iPhone and Xbox is rotting his brain! Garage bay cleaned out, body buck built, IRS assembly to be delivered tomorrow. Let the games begin! Thanks in advance for all the help many of you will inevitably offer.

garage.jpg
    IMG_20191203_160631422_HDR.jpg

It's garage mate:
    IMG_5861.jpg
    Last edited by BradCraig; 01-03-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking ‘67 Camaro. Good luck with your build!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard From The Dark Side!

Nice 67 Fellow Bow Tie Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks gents! Believe me, it was a mental barrier for me to commit to using Ford power. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be following your build closely. Your parts list is something I was considering. Stoked for ya! Congrats!
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 12-08-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCraig View Post
    Thanks gents! Believe me, it was a mental barrier for me to commit to using Ford power. :-)
    Dark Side Power Is Always An Option!

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually like the sound of my Ford 351/427 much better than the 383 I had in my ‘67 Camaro RS. However, I do miss that car some days.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    @Godad. Yep, thought about it but decided it may be better to stay on the reservation for he first FF build.
    Last edited by BradCraig; 12-09-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats! tons of info/advice on this forum and the other one as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    @Godad. Yep, thought about it but decided it may be better to stay on the reservation for he first FF build.
    If you change your mind, feel free to contact me and I'll share with you what I've learned.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

• Headers
    • Engine Mounts
    • Oil Pan
    • Intake Height
    • Drive Line Location

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk

Once Again Welcome Aboard & Good Luck!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday Update:
    Guess I've officially kicked off the project! I received my 3.55 IRS pallet today, the boy and I just tore it down. So far it looks good, will clean it up and POR the center this weekend. Would make sense to also replace the shaft seals while i'm here, cheap insurance. Also will perform the cut on the knuckle. Anything else to address on these parts?

IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6134.jpg
    IMG_6135.jpgIMG_6136.jpg

12. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Would make sense to also replace the shaft seals while i'm here, cheap insurance. Also will perform the cut on the knuckle. Anything else to address on these parts?
    Front mounting ears on the center section needs to be drilled out, there's a hole on the knuckles that needs to be drilled out. Also you'll be removing the hubs to replace the metric studs with SAE 1/2-20 studs that match your front hubs. The studs will be in your kit with the other IRS parts. All in the instructions.

I'd put new fluid in the center section. Don't know about the seals. If they're undamaged and in good shape, maybe not necessary.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Front mounting ears on the center section needs to be drilled out, there's a hole on the knuckles that needs to be drilled out. Also you'll be removing the hubs to replace the metric studs with SAE 1/2-20 studs that match your front hubs. The studs will be in your kit with the other IRS parts. All in the instructions.

I'd put new fluid in the center section. Don't know about the seals. If they're undamaged and in good shape, maybe not necessary.
    Yep, I've got it all pulled apart in prep for drilling\cutting and just read through all the instructions. The driver side is a little "wet" so i'm going to go ahead and change the seals, easy to do now. Most defiinitely will change the fluid.

Thanks! B

15. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

Still no word from Stewart on the delivery date, but got the center section and hubs cleaned up and a couple coats of POR15 applied. Kind of amazes me that Ford doesn't coat these parts at the factory. Also got the knuckles cut and drilled. Still have to drill the 5/8 on the center section and honestly looks like a ***** to drill with the little slots on the ear. Any tips?

IMG_6147.jpgIMG_6146.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news! Jan 2 delivery date from Stewart! I was hoping for this week but no prob, I understand it's Christmas week. I made good use of the day installing a natural gas heater, good deal at $160 Northern Tool. This will definitely make the winter more bearable in the garage and in the end cheaper than the Kerosun.

Image from iOS.jpg
    Last edited by BradCraig; 12-23-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: edit

18. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

Still no word from Stewart on the delivery date, but got the center section and hubs cleaned up and a couple coats of POR15 applied. Kind of amazes me that Ford doesn't coat these parts at the factory. Also got the knuckles cut and drilled. Still have to drill the 5/8 on the center section and honestly looks like a ***** to drill with the little slots on the ear. Any tips?
    IMG_6147.jpgIMG_6146.jpg

1: Cordless drill.
    2: Go slow and keep the speed up.
    Learn from my mistake. Good luck.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSumners View Post
    1: Cordless drill.
    2: Go slow and keep the speed up.
    Learn from my mistake. Good luck.
    Yeah, I got it done but wow what a B. I ended up using a step bit to knock the edges off the slots so the wouldn't catch the bit, saw that recommendation somewhere on here. Still it was a bear to get through it. Low torque setting on the Milwaukee wasn't enough and the high torque wanted to wrap my wrist around it when it got hung. Chucking it up in a large drill press would be ideal but got her done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news! Jan 2 delivery date from Stewart! I was hoping for this week but no prob, I understand it's Christmas week. I made good use of the day installing a natural gas heater, good deal at $160 Northern Tool. This will definitely make the winter more bearable in the garage and in the end cheaper than the Kerosun.

Image from iOS.jpg
    There is a chance that our roadsters are on the same truck! Todd told me that they were going to load mine on the 30th and have it here in Cape Coral on the 4th.

22. Likes BradCraig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club. If you're needing to make more room to work, I'll keep your camaro safe and sound in my garage till you're done!
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Welcome to the club. If you're needing to make more room to work, I'll keep your camaro safe and sound in my garage till you're done!
    Appreciate it! I had it pushed all the way to the edge of the garage on dollies to make room...until yesterday. Was such a nice day I had to take her out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joynt Venture View Post
    There is a chance that our roadsters are on the same truck! Todd told me that they were going to load mine on the 30th and have it here in Cape Coral on the 4th.
    Def will be on the same truck. I'll look for it and take a teaser pic!

26. Likes red.barchetta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart also called me last week and said my kit will be loaded on the 30th too. Todd at Stewart said it could be at my house as early as the 31st. I'm located in Maryland so I'm guessing I might be the first off the truck? I'll follow up with pictures on my build thread. Chassis dolly and body buck are ready to go. Looking forward to adventures ahead
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Image from iOS.jpg
    I bought that same heater with a flame rather than the ceramic. It’s high efficiency and my CO monitor never registers anything. It heats my garage effectively and it is a large space.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

29. Likes BradCraig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to all the fun... The fun begins soon... Be sure to do a serious inventory... just like the rest of your build, you will not want to shortcut this or you will pull your hair out looking for something that you either did not get or is in a different box then you think... Everyone on here is a wealth of knowledge and ability to help you spend money.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    She's here! Lot of boxes, fairly lengthy POL with critical parts though. All good!IMG_6171[1].jpg

32. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo and congrats too! That is no doubt a pretty sight! Enjoy your build journey and I'll be following along...

Dj

Post Thanks / Like

Inventory Complete

Inventory done and there are a LOT of parts. Very well documented and boxed though which made it not too bad. All in all, about 8 hours to thoroughly account for every nut and bolt. VERY important to take your time with this.

First off, here is what is on the POL list:

• Most of the IRS components
    • Transmission mount
    • Rear lugs
    • Footbox panel for Wilwood pedals
    • 18" Halibrands
    • Rollbar
    • Box 6A Aluminum panels
    • Fuel Tank cover
    • Badging

As far as things that should have been in the boxes that were not (fairly big misses):

• Front coilovers
    • Front rotors
    • Brake light\Clutch switches

Initial thoughts:

Kelly from Stewart was amazing, could not have gone any smoother. The car looks great, very nice package an the body *appears* to be the new mold give the tail lights sent were the rectangular. One of the things I was watching out for is the DS door fitment. Not sure if that was resolved, but mine looks great and should not need much work. Mold seams are nasty as expected but nothing a bit of sanding wont clean up.

One thing I went ahead an did was to try and fit the DS converter plate to my 2015 IRS center and found it will not rest into the yoke. Measuring, the plate is 4 7/16 and the opening is 4 3/8. Maybe wrong part?

IMG_6175[1].jpg

Let the fun begin once I get the boxes organized!

B

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brad,
    Yes, Kelly did an amazing job with my delivery too. My kit was missing most of the IRS components as well as the tank cover too. The new body fitment seems to be vastly improved as all the panels looked great before I removed them.

It seems I got two bags labeled ECSS that contained lots of little pieces, indicator lights, switches, etc. What boxes were the brake/clutch switches supposed to be in? I'd like to double check mine. I found the brake and clutch pedals but not pedal pads.

Thanks!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Dad View Post
    Hi Brad,
    Yes, Kelly did an amazing job with my delivery too. My kit was missing most of the IRS components as well as the tank cover too. The new body fitment seems to be vastly improved as all the panels looked great before I removed them.

It seems I got two bags labeled ECSS that contained lots of little pieces, indicator lights, switches, etc. What boxes were the brake/clutch switches supposed to be in? I'd like to double check mine. I found the brake and clutch pedals but not pedal pads.

Thanks!
    The Missing switches are (for me) box 20, item 16283 qty 2. My pads were in the Wilwood pedal assembly box, and were metal with holes in them. No rubber pads.

Did you have the front springs and rotors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I'll take a look. Yes, I got the front springs. I went with Wilwood brakes and they are shipped separate. I don't have an ETA on those yet.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Productive Day

Finally getting my head around all the parts and boxes. Once I got all that organized, I managed to get the body off and aluminum panels labeled, marked, and pulled. There are a LOT more panels on the car than it looks.

IMG_6203.jpg

Also got started on the Front end and managed to get the F panels, UCA's, and LCA's mounted. I had read several places that the upper ball joints were a B to get screwed in and mine were no exception to that rule. 1st one was very tight but did seat all the way, second one just was not going to go. Upon looking at them and scratching my head I realized that both the UCA threads and balljoint threads are powder coated. No freaking way that's gonna work so I had my son hit the UCA threads with a small wire wheel on the drill remove the powder coating off both and the result was it threaded in like butter. Would have probably been fine just removing the PC from the UCA threads. SO...for the guys buying new ball joints, not necessary.

As I mentioned in my introduction this project is to get my son into the garage and teach him a skill and that has worked out well. He installed both F Panels and learned how to use the Clecos and rivet gun. Good times!

IMG_6206.jpg

OH, and I spent a bit of time with these control arms trying to figure out if there is a right and left. It bugs the piss out of me that the clevis is front on one side and rear on the other but I'll get over it. For as long as that book is, it's unclear in a few areas.

IMG_6207.jpg

On to spindles and rack tomorrow, I don't have springs so that will prevent buttoning up but plan on working around that. Oh, still trying to figure out why my pics are flipping.
    Last edited by BradCraig; 01-04-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Brad and welcome to the madness.... You are off to a great start and the time with your son is going to be worth every minute...

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest a slight modification to the F panels while you still have easy access. The rear edge where the splash panel is going to be attached is where I'm talking about. I would suggest putting in some nutserts so that you can put the splash panel in and out as needed. I bet I've had mine off 6 or 8 times over the past year. To access the header to side pipe bolts, cleaning the headers, cleaning the front of the foot box, greasing the fittings, etc. It is a simple modification and IMO worth every minute spent doing it the first time. Here is a LINK to my build showing it. Hope this helps...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

40. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Hello Brad and welcome to the madness.... You are off to a great start and the time with your son is going to be worth every minute...

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest a slight modification to the F panels while you still have easy access. The rear edge where the splash panel is going to be attached is where I'm talking about. I would suggest putting in some nutserts so that you can put the splash panel in and out as needed. I bet I've had mine off 6 or 8 times over the past year. To access the header to side pipe bolts, cleaning the headers, cleaning the front of the foot box, greasing the fittings, etc. It is a simple modification and IMO worth every minute spent doing it the first time. Here is a LINK to my build showing it. Hope this helps...
    Thanks for the input, I was actually considering doing the nutserts but definitely will now! Put them in now or once the body is back on for final fitment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input, I was actually considering doing the nutserts but definitely will now! Put them in now or once the body is back on for final fitment?
    Put them in the F panel now.... Later when you are ready to install the splash Elephant ears, you put them up in place, mark them and drill appropriate sized holes. Done...

43. Likes BradCraig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brad,
    You're making great progress! I searched my box 21 for the Brake/Clutch switches and I'm missing those too. Good news is I found the pedal pads. I worked on my panels today too. Lots of drilling and deburring!
    I also had a problem with my pictures being flipped. David Hodgkins told me to save them to my PC, open them in Paint, do a save and then they appear right side up when posted. I'm not sure why that process works, but it does.

Good Luck!

45. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excited for you! I'm completing a 351 Windsor rebuild for my future build. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    … Oh, still trying to figure out why my pics are flipping.
    Here is how to post pictures as embedded images rather than small attachments. It makes your posts with pictures a lot easier to read and view and you won't have the issue with them flipping on you.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tures-in-posts

Nice work on your new build!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Belated update

Belated update! It's been a productive month but still waiting on some critical parts that are holding progress up such as rear wheel studs, toe bar heim joints, front foot box aluminum panel, etc. Was able to button up the front suspension this week after I finally got my front springs and rotors. So, at this point just working around in the manual doing what I can! Overall, no real issues with the kit and is going together quite well. I now recall why I hate bending brake lines, there really is an art to that but getting better as I do more.

Also starting to think about the Coyote and what I will need to plumb that beast. Ordered the following yesterday:

• Breeze front battery mount
    • Pro-M 3/8 fuel pump hanger
    • Walbro 255 in tank pump

Still undecided on hard line vs flexible braided PFTE, Regulator, filter, etc.

IMG_6257.jpgIMG_6258.jpgIMG_6259.jpgIMG_6260.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I didn't fully tighten my banjo bolts on the calipers until I had the wheels and tires on just in case there was rubbing of the lines and tires at full turn. The copper washers with the banjo bolts are one time use.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels delivered! Dangit....

Got my Breeze battery box today, nice product! Also was super excited to see my wheels come off the FedEx truck, until i saw they shipped 17" instead of the 18" I ordered. Dangit! While I know FFR will make it right, the mistakes in shipping are frustrating.

IMG_6264.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast