Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Big Brake Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Big Brake Kit

Just about to get my MK4 complete kit shipped and finish getting details sorted out.
    for the Big Brake Kits, I know FFR sourced Wilwood kit is no brainer.
    I was wondering about some other options.

If I do a search for BBK for Mustang brakes, would that be accurate?
    what year model would I be searching for?

help.

D.J. from Virginia

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been Wilwood for over 20 years. Are kits are larger, different and of our own designs that carry our own part numbers. We also have kits for 15" wheels front and rear including the new IRS system.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty much your two best options. FFR and Gordon. Both of these have had some engineering involved specifically for these cars.
    I have the FFR version, my friend has Gordons. We both autocross and track and are happy with them. Even for the street, I wouldn't build an FFR without Wilwoods.

4. Thanks Gordon Levy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Get your kit from Gordon. In the box you will find every little nut, bolt and washer you could possibly need. Because of this, you will not have to spend more money on multiple trips to the hardware store, and you won't have to buy any additional components. Because Gordon designed it specifically for the FFR, you know it will fit.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

6. Thanks Gordon Levy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the supplies (included in complete kit) 2 piston front and equivalent single piston rear (1994-2004 Mustang), with vacuum boost power brakes (From a 1990 Mustang GT). Works great for the street and much less expensive then Wilwoods. I don't road race. If you plan to race, I highly recommend Wilwood or equivalent.

Watch till the end to see how the stock brakes faded after multiple braking tests.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=395434704435755
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I originally built my roadster using the SN95 Cobra brake setup. Then a couple of years ago I switched to Gordon's Wilwood setup. It's been one of the best upgrades I have done to the car. It's a complete no brainer to put Wilwoods on the car. If you never plan on going fast, you may be fine with the mustang brakes, but they really don't work well. If you plan on any track time, Wilwoods are a must have. I went from tentative braking to deep deep deep braking!!!

9. Thanks Gordon Levy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I originally built my roadster using the SN95 Cobra brake setup. Then a couple of years ago I switched to Gordon's Wilwood setup. It's been one of the best upgrades I have done to the car. It's a complete no brainer to put Wilwoods on the car. If you never plan on going fast, you may be fine with the mustang brakes, but they really don't work well. If you plan on any track time, Wilwoods are a must have. I went from tentative braking to deep deep deep braking!!!
    I agree! I made a lot of changes to the car for track use. This is by far the best change I made. Immediately shaved 5-6 seconds off my lap time - and that's a huge improvement! I could outbrake almost anyone on the track.

Ends up being cheaper, too. Less frequent parts replacement.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

11. Thanks Gordon Levy thanked for this post