Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Alternatives to FFR supplied AC/Heater?

Post Thanks / Like

Alternatives to FFR supplied AC/Heater?

Hi all,

I searched around but couldn't find much.

Has anyone tried to piece together their own AC/Heater setups in the coupes versus buying the kits directly from FFR? their kits are very pricey and I wonder if it can be done utilizing parts from other off the shelf and more economical options and some fab and custom work.

Thanks!

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the parts seem pretty off the shelf and could probably be sourced yourself, except for maybe the evaporator/heater unit— it barely fits in there as is. Maybe others have experience with other units? I have no idea what a reasonable price is for all the parts, but it felt worth the money to me to know I was going to have something that would fit.

FFR uses the evap/heater unit from a French company named Siroco at http://www.siroco.fr/en/produits/climatisation. From looking at it, I'm pretty sure it's one of their BOREAL units, but I could look tomorrow to get a specific part number for you.

The condenser is probably pretty easy to find elsewhere.
    The compressor is probably pretty easy too, depending on engine.
    I'm sure you could use any reasonably sized dryer (I actually replaced mine with a VintageAir chrome version)
    You have to cut and crimp all the hoses yourself anyway, so you could find those anywhere.

Only thing left is the heater valve and control panel, but those could probably be easily sourced and wired yourself depending on if you wanted to use electric or vacuum. If you didn't mind reaching over to the passenger side under the dash, it looks like Siroco also makes a unit with a built-in control panel (and maybe heater valve?) the same size as the other units.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 12-09-2019 at 02:57 AM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

4. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vintage Air Mini Gen 2 is a good unit. Vintage can set you up with the rest as well. Beware of cheap knock-offs that will not be reliable in the long run. It is my experience that you get what you pay for. Just my 2-cents worth. Best of luck.

6. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Gen 3 Coupe, which I assume you're asking about, agree the solution from Factory Five is probably the only choice. I too thought maybe it was too expensive and looked at multiple alternatives. Including Vintage Air and all their models. Due to the design of the Gen 3 frame, the available space is very limited for the evaporator. The Siroco piece already mentioned is small/compact, and just fits. Digging a little deeper, determined the price actually wasn't that bad. For a Coyote setup like my build, the total cost of the supplied Mustang compressor, electronic full bypass heater valve, all the remaining parts, plus very detailed instructions (important, since I'd never done anything like that) made it an OK value for me. I doubt I could have sourced the parts myself for much less. My Coupe build is nearly complete and the system installed. I've confirmed the heater works. Don't have the A/C charged yet. Details and pictures throughout my build thread if you're interested in digging. Link in my sig line.

Now if you want to look at alternatives, like remote mounting the evaporator elsewhere, that could change things. I've seen mentions of mounting it behind the seats, or in the rear wheel well. But those have their challenges too, and I doubt would be much cheaper.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all so much for the replies!

firstly yes this would be for a 3rd gen, I haven't ordered yet but plan to hopefully as soon as they offer a better sale than the 3k off in options

Jim (Alphamacaroon) if you could snag the part number off the Siroco unit that would be incredible. I have a feeling I am going to be doing this by the seat of my pants because what's the fun of planning everything and not solving for problems you created yourself

Wallace18 the Vintage Air Mini Gen 2 looks like perfect, it's compact, fairly priced, electronically controlled, and is both heat/ac all in a single unit. thank you!

edwardb - thank you for the detailed response. I have followed your build with great interest for some time and congrats on nearing the end! Since you tried other units and then settled on the FFR supplied setup was it just a matter of calling them and ordering it? just making sure there isn't some kind of crazy alternate dash panel or something required to fit their supplied setup if I decide to order after delivery of a kit.

Thank you everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ProJoe View Post
    Thank you all so much for the replies!

firstly yes this would be for a 3rd gen, I haven't ordered yet but plan to hopefully as soon as they offer a better sale than the 3k off in options

Jim (Alphamacaroon) if you could snag the part number off the Siroco unit that would be incredible. I have a feeling I am going to be doing this by the seat of my pants because what's the fun of planning everything and not solving for problems you created yourself

Wallace18 the Vintage Air Mini Gen 2 looks like perfect, it's compact, fairly priced, electronically controlled, and is both heat/ac all in a single unit. thank you!

edwardb - thank you for the detailed response. I have followed your build with great interest for some time and congrats on nearing the end! Since you tried other units and then settled on the FFR supplied setup was it just a matter of calling them and ordering it? just making sure there isn't some kind of crazy alternate dash panel or something required to fit their supplied setup if I decide to order after delivery of a kit.

Thank you everyone!
    - The 3K sale is about as good as it gets. They frequently have sales, but they're all in that range. I wouldn't expect too much more.

- Agreed the Vintage Air stuff looks nice. But, like I said, even their smallest stuff won't fit under the dash of the Gen 3 Coupe. There's no room under the hood either, e.g. in front of the firewall or whatever. The only option to go that way, IMO, is to mount the unit elsewhere as I described already. The Siroco is very compact, and just fits under the dash. It's a combined heat and A/C piece. Basic, but it works for me so far.

- Note I haven't actually "tried" anything except the Siroco unit that came in the kit from Factory Five. My analysis was done using dimensioned drawings on websites compared to the available space in the chassis once I had it here. Nothing was even close. Yes, I called and ordered it. It wasn't on the order form when I ordered my kit. Now I see it is. 60378 for Coyote, 60377 for 302/351W. I suspect the difference is the compressor, and maybe the heater control valve. Everything else is likely the same. The kit comes with a small control panel for A/C on/off, temp, and fan controls. You can mount it anywhere on the dash. I actually didn't use it. I mounted the controls in a custom panel between the dash and transmission tunnel, along with other switches and controls. In my build thread. Strictly my personal choice to make it more integrated. So yes, you can order the kit after ordering and receiving the Coupe kit. You'll need it though when you start laying out the engine compartment, dash, and wiring. It adds quite a bit of stuff.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You'll need it though when you start laying out the engine compartment, dash, and wiring. It adds quite a bit of stuff.
    I couldn't agree more. The instructions show that you can retrofit the A/C unit after the car is built (they actually show you cutting into the footbox aluminum), but I can't even imagine how much of a chore that would be. I would highly recommend having it all figured out before you get too far into the build— otherwise it could hold you up on a lot of stuff.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the input from those that have been there. thank you

I plan on having this sorted out before I do the dash/wiring but as of right now I am at least 6 months out from receiving a kit so there is no rush

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure thing. Here is the part number you asked about earlier:

IMG_0179.jpg
    Cheers,

--jim

13. Thanks ProJoe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, here are some write-ups I did in my build thread about the kit from Factory Five. Note this is the Coyote version.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post315494.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post316350

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post350347

15. Thanks ProJoe thanked for this post