FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Daytona Coupe Baseline

Post Thanks / Like

Daytona Coupe Baseline

I am considering building a Daytona Coupe. I am in the research stage of the process. I am torn between building a car with all the modern (as many as I can afford) conveniences/”stuff” (e.g., cruise control, ABS brakes, fuel injection, etc. modern color, no race car stripes, numbers, sponsor advertisements, etc.). OR A car as close to the originals as reasonably possible. Today I’m on the side of “as close to the original” as possible.

I don’t plan for this car to be a trailer/garage queen. I plan to drive it as much as possible so I need it to be reasonably reliable. I had a 1965 Corvette for many years and I drove the heck out of it. So I am familiar with sports cars and my gearhead need to tinker. Swamplife2 asked a similar question regarding the roadster and Papa’s answer was “I tend to think of CSX-3022 as the "baseline" for modeling a replica to an original.”

Sooooo I’m looking for what you guys think the “baseline’ Daytona Coupe would be. THANKS in advance for your opions. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Make it easy on yourself, build the Factory Five base kit or the complete kit, that seems like a good baseline to have.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

3. Thanks CTHiker52 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Presto51;391209]Make it easy on yourself, build the Factory Five base kit or the complete kit, that seems like a good baseline to have.

Ron, Thanks for your initial response. I certainly am going to use a Factory Five kit, what I’m interested in is what your opinion is ... replica race car or more modern sports car. If your choice is replica race car what which one of the originals would you use as a baseline? THANKS Gary.

Post Thanks / Like
    With only six originals ever made (not counting the never completed one 427 version, continuation models) not a lot to choose from. Although I believe there are subtle differences, they are very similar in appearance to my eye. This video shows them all together. https://youtu.be/Qlhru1eh3cg. The CSX numbers for each are widely available, and you can find more details for each. Haven't ever seen one in person, but have seen enough pictures including the "creature comforts" that I took mine in the direction of a more modern build. That plus the Coyote power, color, etc. I chose doesn't make it very authentic. But still unmistakably a Daytona Coupe. Build thread in my sig line below if you haven't seen and are interested. Should be done in the next month or two. Good luck whatever you decide. Fun project.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    With only six originals ever made (not counting the never completed one 427 version, continuation models) not a lot to choose from. Although I believe there are subtle differences, they are very similar in appearance to my eye. This video shows them all together. https://youtu.be/Qlhru1eh3cg. The CSX numbers for each are widely available, and you can find more details for each. Haven't ever seen one in person, but have seen enough pictures including the "creature comforts" that I took mine in the direction of a more modern build. That plus the Coyote power, color, etc. I chose doesn't make it very authentic. But still unmistakably a Daytona Coupe. Build thread in my sig line below if you haven't seen and are interested. Should be done in the next month or two. Good luck whatever you decide. Fun project.
    Edwardb, First, I have been following your build, the car is absolutely beautiful. I love the color. I am eagerly waiting to see pictures of the finished product. Frankly that is what has me rethinking the vintage replica vs modern build theme.

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, this is an interesting video that discusses various design and features of one of the original coupes. The vent in the rear spoiler to pull air out of the cockpit was interesting. I also has some good shots of the cockpit, switches, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPnxFe7WqZI

Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine with old school look under the hood and inside but like Paul the outside is non traditional. The cool thing with these cars is no 2 are the same and you can build it your own way. From the outside mine and Paul's will look similar but under the hood and inside they are very different, he went new I went old school. But I still have AC, power steering and cruise on mine.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsden View Post
    For what it's worth, this is an interesting video that discusses various design and features of one of the original coupes. The vent in the rear spoiler to pull air out of the cockpit was interesting. I also has some good shots of the cockpit, switches, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPnxFe7WqZI
    Gadsden, THANKS for the input. More for me to think about this winter.

THANKS Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    I did mine with old school look under the hood and inside but like Paul the outside is non traditional. The cool thing with these cars is no 2 are the same and you can build it your own way. From the outside mine and Paul's will look similar but under the hood and inside they are very different, he went new I went old school. But I still have AC, power steering and cruise on mine.
    David W
    David, THANKS for the input. Since I am planning to build a driver not a Trailer Queen, I think things like PS, AC/Heat (I live in the northeast) will be in order. QUESTION: what carburetion (Webers, etc.) or FI di you use? If you used Webers similar to the original cars how do they perform in street driving? Also I am 6' 4" tall 260 lbs, what seats did you use?

THANKS Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Fitech injection so it looks like a carb, there are several similar throttle body injection systems out there. There are also stack injection systems that look like Webers but they are $$$. A local guy has stack injection on his 2 cars and it looks really cool.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    I used Fitech injection so it looks like a carb, there are several similar throttle body injection systems out there. There are also stack injection systems that look like Webers but they are $$$. A local guy has stack injection on his 2 cars and it looks really cool.
    David W
    David, THANKS for your input. Gary