Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Generation Factory Five Supercar Update

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Next Generation Factory Five Supercar Update

Tomorrow, I will be releasing information regarding our efforts that began in 2018 to design a front engine supercar. At SEMA this year, we showed the chassis with a 750 HP V12LS engine, but we did not show the body. The all carbon fiber body is due to be completed in the first few months of 2020, and many people have been asking about what it looks like, especially after seeing a video and a web post that I had done a year ago showing a white bodied car called the GTF.

The crew and I have discussed at length the future of the GTM, and as of now, I am considering a final edition GTM BUT I am also considering keeping the GTM in production concurrently with this new car that will be built on a modified Type 65 Coupe chassis. I will post an update on our website by the end of the day tomorrow, and if you follow our Facebook page, we will be doing a Facebook Live broadcast from Factory Five discussing this new car.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes David Hodgkins liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's An Idea:

Retire The G.T.M. & Bring Back The Daytona Spyder!
    I'd Bet Money That The Gen3 Chassis Could Easily Handle Going Topless!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-09-2019 at 03:22 PM.

4. Likes 7tvette liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS NEW CAR!!

I really believe this is the one I've been waiting for.

SO STOKED it's ALMOST HERE!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

6. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I have a vote, I will vote to keep the GTM. I believe it's an important part of Factory Five's history.

Remember it's their first attempt at doing their own design work, not a flat out replica, which stretched the company to new heights which brought us to what FFR is today.

Just a thought.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

8. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see you on the forum here, Dave! Very much looking forward to seeing what you guys have come up with for the GTF.....or does it have an official name yet? Curious if you will also be offering this with fiberglass body for less $$$ or if they are all going to be CF?

I would (of course) also like to see the GTM live on for a few more years (since that has been 95% of the basis of my business) and am also looking forward to building this new model for owners who don't want to tackle the build on their own. Can you tell us when you think this new kit will be available for sale?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the GTM be born of Factory Five’s own design (remember the yellow one with the ducktail spoiler!). It would be sad to see it go away completely. Instead you could turn the R&D attention to making a revived generation of the GTM once the GTF/F9 is well underway. Let the sales of the new GTF/F9 dictate the direction of the future GTM.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

11. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    saw the chassis at sema….I want one with a coyote motor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can’t wait to see it!!!

Thx,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be watching...
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

15. Likes Aircontroller, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!

I look forward to seeing what FFR has been working so diligently on the last 18 months or so! I have really liked what we have seen so far on the project, and just know the full reveal will be amazing when it comes!

As far as the GTM, I will offer no advice. I trust Dave and the gang will do whatever they feel is the right thing to do regarding that platform.

Can't wait to see what's next; bring it on!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Getting rid of a mid-engine option would be a shame, especially with a race team backing the product (albeit a modified car).

Version #3 GTM might be a roll cage, glass, aluminum panels, and a FG shell. A large majority of buyers
    swap interior finishing, gauges, lighting, etc. Maybe offer interior fiberglass with or without vinyl skin?

It was great to see you and the gang at SEMA. I think the F9 will be a hit; can't wait to see the Carbon body!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The feedback from you guys weighs heavily as you all are at the center of the community. I swear it is a challenge to balance the demands of the business and manage new products against the backdrop of competing priorities (as I type this I can hear the construction of the new building and new solar array and in the office next door Sandra is working hard on the new accounting and operations computer system!). It has always been a chess game for sure as I have always used cash flow to invest back into the company. This strategy has been limiting because I want to do all of the above. But constraints, I've found, build good discipline and better decisions.. The Daytona convertible/Spyder GT has always been on my mind and a drawing of it is on my office wall so someday I'd like to circle back to that. The GTF project, now called the F9 (9th design and 9 liter V12) and F9R project existed for two reasons.. The first was to invest in and develop the full digital shaping ability of the company from computer screen to mold plug and shape output. That has been mostly successful and we've learned a TON and the process is maybe 75% complete. When the F9 body arrives and actually fits and is paint free clear coated carbon.. then I will be crowing about the process being complete. Right now we are still waiting on output but have made plug ready shapes and essentially refined our own process to reduce mold making time, and time from concept to part. The other reason was less business focused and definitely not connected as closely to profit, and that is I want to make an all-original design that will be part of an iconic company story many years from now. Basically, like many of us, I was drawing cars in third grade and now I want to make my own. This hubris has been the demise of many in the car industry and I am using those case studies and lessons to temper my impatience and drive the design goals of the car. It was the reason why I cut up the GTF concept car as it was not good enough. Now a year later I am waiting to hear your thoughts on the latest shape and configuration. The two big goals are that the shape must be exotic supercar/hypercar and the bodywork issue has to be put to bed with Carbon Fiber that does not include bodywork being required. Both goals we've not delivered on to date.

I'm also going to weigh the feedback a bit less as one thing I've learned thru all these shaping years is that drawings and renderings even photos never capture the proportion and presence of a car. Even though VR and digital design has come a long way, the real-life full-size car is the only way to actually make a go-no go decision. no exceptions, so regardless of the feedback, I will make the final call about whether this new F9 and F9R ever become reality when the actual body arrives, is mounted on the chassis and is complete as a prototype. And while I really am in love with the design up to now, my love for the company and the purity of the design goals is more and this car has got to measure up. We'll see. More to come later today and we'll do the facebook live broadcast at maybe 330 pm. EST
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 12-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

19. Thanks David Hodgkins, MVRight thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo.....does this mean we are going to get a sneak peek at the body shape of the F9 later today?

No doubt you have a lot going on right now! I'm always glad to see "small business" growing and thriving!....not sure if you still qualify as a "small business" or not! IMO, you are headed in the right direction here. The appeal of replicas and old cars is great, but the idea of an original and modern design that you can build yourself (with the performance that matches the appearance) is....again, IMO....the right direction to be heading in. As with you, I remember getting in trouble in elementary school for sketching out cars while I was supposed to be paying attention to whatever the teacher was trying to teach us. What I'm doing now for a living is what I've always wanted to do.....build cars. My biggest issue with getting into this business was that..... at the time I was looking to getting my feet wet and taking the leap to head down this road.... I really wasn't too excited about the kits available. Like you, I was looking for something new and fresh....and 97% of what was available were designs from the 60's or "exotic" cars from the 80's.....like poorly executed Fiero rebodies. When I "took the plunge".....investing my own money into my own future.......the GTM was still just a concept and still had the "duck's butt". I ended up buying a K-1 Attack kit. At the time, it was really the only thing out there that was a new, modern looking design with the kit being fairly affordable and donor being extremely affordable. By the time that car was completed, the GTM was being released....which was exactly the type of car I had always envisioned building....a great looking car with real performance potential. And the rest is history. I have either built or finished or worked on 33 different GTMs to date. Very much looking forward to what you've come up with for the F9!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff, Dave! I'm on my 3rd FFR kit and don't plan to kick the habit any time soon! What's your greatest inspiration for this new car? Aston Martin Vulcan? Could we be seeing a new PDG car out west soon?

Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    "duck's butt"
    What do you have against a duck butt?

Last edited by beeman; 12-10-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post

What do you have against a duck butt?
    LOL! I think your rear spoiler will look great. OTOH, I had not kept track of the GTM at all while I was building the Attack, and was VERY happy to see that they had changed the rear of the GTM once I got to looking for my next project!

2625.jpg
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing the F9

Also wish to see a GenIII GTM using the new Corvette transaxle. Mid-engine is more $, but its also ingrained in the true definition of Supercar

Post Thanks / Like
    In my mind, the GTM was always the mid-engine Corvette that should have been, but wasn't available to buy. Now that you can go down to the local dealership and "get one off the rack", I don't see the point in continuing that product line. OTOH, the F9 sounds VERY INTERESTING! Good luck on the new venture! Keith HR#894

25. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm still enamored by the Panoz GTR-1 from the late 1990's

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1998-panoz-gtr-1/

It was Cooler Than Cool so I'm 100% sure that Dave and his Krazy Krewe will create something even better.

Look Up Mardi Gras Krewe Regarding My Spelling Choice:

https://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/parades/krewes
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-10-2019 at 04:05 PM.

27. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

29. Likes 65 Cobra Dude, LCD Gauges, Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After just watching the Facebook Live update from Dave and crew, Wow.....you guys are nailing it! Very impressed with what I saw there. I have zero suggestions or complaints.....just keep doing what you're doing with the F9. Spectacular!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Saw some of the live stream. It's too bad the transaxle was such a tipping point for the GTM.

I didn't hang around long enough for the specs . Do we know length, width, height , and approximate weight?

Nice looking model. The lights look killer as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Procision-Auto View Post
    ...Do we know length, width, height , and approximate weight?
    Sub 2,400 lbs. target weight, 104″ wheelbase, 78″ body width, 46″ overall height.

Jeff

34. Likes LCD Gauges liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Trunk/luggage space??
    FFR or OEM suspension?
    Sealed cabin/side windows?
    FFR loyalty discount?

Last edited by beeman; 12-10-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'll come out and say it...a Mustang with a body kit??
    Even my wife said that as soon as she saw it...

Jet

37. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think more European than the Mustang...

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful lines. Probably going to get some Vette folks looking at this vs. the C8!
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    O...M...G... I'm embarrassed to stand up from behind my desk IYKWIMAITYD That is one fine looking automobile!
    Sorry I missed the broadcast, had a doctor's appointment that I couldn't miss. I don't do FB anyway. Thanks to Mr. Hodgkins for posting the photos, along with everything else he does for the forums.
    So, when do the specs and glamour shots get posted on the website for the world to see?
    Keith
    Last edited by progmgr1; 12-10-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    F9R looks better IMO!

I think more European than the Mustang...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Procision-Auto View Post
    F9R looks better IMO!
    I agree, sharper lines and less fluff...
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
    Beautiful lines. Probably going to get some Vette folks looking at this vs. the C8!
    Get some Mustang people when Ford brings the Mach E online and alienates their fan base...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

44. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a great place to put a LS7 and T56.
    I like it.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The front looks interesting in that the design lends itself to being able to adjust front downforce. The quad exhaust out the back could be a problem. Doors have been a problem in the past, the current design may also present challenges. For example, when the door window is lowered, it looks like it may interfere with the door skin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blown away. Looking forward to more details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    The quad exhaust out the back could be a problem.
    I'd prefer side pipes for a flat belly and deeper diffuser.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect build to use the first wrecked '20 GT500 as a donor...
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it so far but I agree completely with Dave, need to have a fully built car finished so that you can do a full walk around and get real world angles. Its the only real way to properly get a feel for a car. I have seen lots of cars in pictures that I thought were pretty nice and when I saw them in real life I was disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd prefer side pipes for a flat belly and deeper diffuser.
    I like your thinking.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

53. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While at SEMA I spent some time checking out the diffuser area. Getting an ideal angle will be easier with this underbody design. The frame allows the leading edge of the diffuser to start further under the car compared to the GTM. Obviously the closer you move the downforce to the center of gravity of the car the easier it will be to balance.

As you can see from the rendering, quite a bit of thought was dedicated to aero in general. There is nothing better than free downforce.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast