FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water Flow Restrictor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Water Flow Restrictor

It's been awhile since I've been online here but the winter months generally allow time to ponder about improvements to the car. I was watching one of those car restoration shows the other day and they were rebuilding a 351 Cleveland engine. They mentioned that a water flow restrictor under the thermostat was important for the cleveland engine as they were susceptible to overheating. Has anyone found the need to use a water flow restrictor on a 351 Windsor stroker.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Restrictors are not needed on the Windsor. The Cleveland radiator bypass is cast into the block necessitating the restrictor plate. The Cleveland also requires a special version of the Robert Shaw thermostat to prevent overheating (ask me how I know ). The Windsor radiator bypass is that little hose from the water pump to the base of the thermostat housing and is the restriction in the bypass flow due to its limited size.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    Restrictors are not needed on the Windsor. The Cleveland radiator bypass is cast into the block necessitating the restrictor plate. The Cleveland also requires a special version of the Robert Shaw thermostat to prevent overheating (ask me how I know ). The Windsor radiator bypass is that little hose from the water pump to the base of the thermostat housing and is the restriction in the bypass flow due to its limited size.
    Outstanding. Thanks.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017