Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 289 Single Taillight Flasher Issue

Post Thanks / Like

289 Single Taillight Flasher Issue

I installed the converter for the single taillight and:
    - turn signals and indicators work front/rear
    - flashers work front and indicators
    - flashers work in rear if only one side is connected. If both rt/left rear are connected the rear does not work (front and flashers still work)
    - 60950 flasher unit

Ideas?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    There were a few of us that went thru this issue a few years ago during our builds. The converter supplied didnt work for any of us, CNutting found some diodes that worked. Search in the archives and see if you can find those threads, as I've forgotten the brand. The only issue I still have is the rear flashers stop flashing when brake lights are on, but all flashers work otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well...that's crazy! I think these are the diodes that supposedly work. I will give them a try tomorrow.
    hazard lights.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Zots
    Those are the correct diodes. However, like Pete said, the rear flashers stop flashing when the brakes are applied. Search my thread, I have a powered trailer converter that solves the problem. But that converter burned out within the first month. I went back to the diodes
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda jumping in on this thread late but, using a single bulb in the rear for both brake AND turn signal requires some way to "isolate" the two circuits - diodes or relays. There are actually three circuits active in the bulb(s); Tail light, Brake light and Turn Signal. Two are connected together (Brake & TS) - the Tail lights are a seperate circuit and NOT connected to the Brake and TS other than the common ground. I have found that relays work the best as they [actually] switch sides when activated, diodes are always a gamble, never knowing if you have the right style of amperage blocking capabilities. Pick wrong and they burn out and/or still allow backfeed. Relays don't have the backfeed issue as they are a switch.

FWIW, I have my two rear lights wired as one and don't have issues with backfeed or the TS stopping when I step on the brakes - I'm running two relays that run all the functions (no diodes). Both upper and lower come on for brake or TS, TS side selected does not effect the other side at all, even with brake applied.

The circuit is shown below:

( Can be used with or without a Russ Thompson column mounted TS switch )

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 12-11-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input. I ended up putting in the 2 diode units pictured above - directly replacing the vendor provided converter - and all works now. Non-LED tail lights worked with the converter but the LED tail lights would not...must be some amperage issue with the LED lights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it worked. Not perfect, but simple. Meets my, close enough for gummint work standard. Open up the converter and you'll see why it doesn't work with the LEDs. Looks like Apollo era technology.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Zots,

You are correct, LED's don't draw enough amperage to activate most, if not all, "thermal type" flasher. Switching to an "electronic type" will allow LED's as they don't work off of a thermal bimetallic strip needing to "warm up" to function.
    Some have added resistors to help but that hit-n-miss too unless you know what Ohm rating is required to heat the thermal unit.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.