Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F9R Concept Supercar Update

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

F9R Concept Supercar Update

Specifics:

Two seat build-it-yourself sports car developed as our latest generation spaceframe chassis. Sub 2,400 lbs. target vehicle weight, 104″ wheelbase, 78″ body width, and 46″ overall height. Full carbon fiber body with clear coat finish. Production start estimate late 2020/Q1 2021. Cost TBD.

The front nose is the competition racing nose optimized for cooling and downforce. A separate street nose is designed, but not shown.

Background:

At the beginning of 2018, Factory Five embarked on an ambitious project to transition all composite shaping to digital process from the traditional hand-made mold plugs and tools. The car that would serve as the test mule for this process was to be our next generation flagship supercar. We produced a video, and I published a web pagehttps://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new/new-digital-design-process-at-factory-five-behind-all-new-supercar/ dedicated to describing this effort, and the car at the time was described as the GTF.

Jim Schenck and Jeremy Luchini benchmark designs.

Jesper Ingerslev began working on the engineering bill of materials for the next generation front engine flagship.

While the GTF design was not selected, the digital design process that began with Jeremy was a success.

From pure CAD file, the first concept car was fully shaped on a 7-axis milling machine which would result in a composite shape that could be used for a mold plug.
    By the end of 2018, we had created a full size prototype to prove the digital process, and the resulting car called the GTF was designed by Jim Schenck and Jeremy Luchini (Luchini Designs). I felt strongly that the design and surfacing of the GTF needed more sophistication than SolidWorks software could deliver. I made the difficult decision that the car wasn’t good enough. While the digital process scored an A+, the actual shape of the car needed work.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In the Spring on 2019, I asked car designer Phil Frank to collaborate with Jim Schenck on a second competitive shape to the GTF. Phil is a designer who drew the lines for the Saleen S7 back in 2000. Jim and Phil have spent close to a year on a new design based 100% on the proven digital design process, but using Rhino software.

Designer Phil Frank (left) and Jim Schenck with Ops Manager Nate Johnson (right) review the initial concept #2 as a 1/5 scale model, Summer 2019.

Originally, I intended the second shape to be a competitive option to the first GTF shape. It was soon obvious that the new direction had advantages over the first design, and was resourced in full. Jim and Phil would work on the new design for the remainder of 2019. The new is called the F9 and the F9R, and the original GTF body would not be developed further.

The new F9R chassis prototype at SEMA 2019.

This past November at SEMA 2019, we showed the prototype chassis with a 750 HP V12LS engine that makes 700 lb.-ft. torque and displaces 9.5L!

The chassis will accept small block Ford crate engines and modular Ford Engines as well as the LS-series of engines… and now this exciting V12 American power plant.

Dave Smith (left) discusses the F9R chassis with Jim and Jesper from Factory Five and Phil Frank at SEMA 2019.

We knew that as soon as we showed the rolling chassis with the V12 engine in it that the next question would be, “Well, what does the car look like?” We have applied for trademark and trade dress protection on the new design and name.

CAD file of prototype body shape #2 called the F9R.

Here are the first released images of the final body shape. The dimensions of the car are extremely dramatic. The car is almost 80″ wide and only 46″ high. The actual completed body is due in the first quarter of 2020, and we will be building and testing the prototype this coming Spring and Summer. The body is 100% carbon fiber composite, and is delivered clear coated without needing paint or bodywork.

For as much work as we have put into this design, production is dependent upon body delivery and evaluation, prototype testing, and final feasibility and pricing.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    That is absolutely AMAZING!!! You and your team have done a wonderful job with the new design. I cannot wait to see how the street version, as well as the interior, look.

edit: that red really makes the car stand out.

4. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that is what I'm taking about! I'm all about old school but that is one kickass looking car! Hope it makes it into production.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOOO full carbon fiber body?

great work it looks awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Holy schnikies, that car is beautiful!!! Great job FFR team! Once again, you hit a home run!

Henry

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post

Being The Only Hardcore Chevy Cobra Guy On The Forum I Can Honestly Say That This Is What Chevrolet Should Have Done When Creating The C-8 Corvette!

Bravo Krazy Krewe Du-Factory Five, Bravo!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-10-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Being The Only Hardcore Chevy Cobra Guy On The Forum I Can Honestly Say That This What Chevrolet Should Have Done When Creating The C-8 Corvette!

Bravo Krazy Krewe Du-Factory Five, Bravo!
    My thoughts exactly!

The F9 beats the C8 by a long shot. The proportions are great! Great job, Dave and crew!

Given Factory Five's history, I'm guessing the F9 performance will be awesome too.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Rhino beats SolidWorks handily when it comes to lofted surfaces. Tried both for hull forms, found Rhino faster, easier and cheaper.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations FFR. Quite an accomplishment to get it to this stage. I remember seeing photos of the most recent Ford GT-40 and thinking the body lines were too dramatic and overdone. Then I saw one in person and realized that you just can’t get a feel for a car until you see it in person. Especially one that sits sooo low and wide. Can’t wait to see the F9R on the street. Full speed ahead boys!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    O hot damn!!! That car is awesome!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please let it have OEM door and side windows, then it would be perfect, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautifully done Factory Five team!! What an outstanding looking machine!

I confess that I was unsure when Dave said he wasn't happy with the first rendition of the GTF. I wasn't sure that it really needed a great deal of change. However, this car is spectacular!

I look forward to learning more about this.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is beautiful! I've been holding off on building an RCR Ford GT to see this come to visible form, the next hurdle for me is what does it cost to add ABS and Traction Control, without these assists no one but a Randy Probst could approach the limits of this car on a track. After several seasons I can now drive my Boss 302 to the edge with everything turned off but ABS and that's with only 420 rwhp.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!! Having built several roadsters, an early coupe, an early GTM and now finishing up a 33 roadster, I guess I'll just have to sell the 33 and move on! Keeps us updated Dave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the carbon fiber body idea. I hope it will be formed using prepreg carbon fiber, vacuum bagged and then baked instead of hand laid wet layup. Consistent thickness and high strength / low weight is very hard to accomplish with hand laid panels.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, absolutely stunning! Great work on the styling! I’ve been wondering what my next project would be... now I know! Must have!! So exciting.

Looking forward to seeing the “street” nose. I’m sure there’s value in the large wing when racing, but hopefully it’s just an option as I’d probably not want that on a street car (unfortunately, the only track in my area closed a few years ago); classier without it.

Looking forward to seeing the interior too. How about a centre console designed to accommodate a tablet, to allow more modern bring-your-own-stuff, like music, nav, comms, etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do y'all have any high resolution images? I need a new carrot to dangle on the wallpaper of my work PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Looking good for sure. For me the only criticism I would have is to eliminate the lower strip of the tail lights and incorporate all light into one.
    Would love to see some pics without the aero stuff, as sorta shown on the 1/5 model.
    I'm sure you have an idea as to what the interior would look like but maybe don't want to get to far down the road in sharing to make sure the body properly fits the chassis?
    If not would love to see that too!
    Great stuff by you and the team as usual.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Let me start out by explaining that I was not a fan of this project. It just didn't resonate with me. Yes, I admit that I am "old school". I saw some of the earlier "spy photos" of the body and was not impressed. I pretty much ignored the F9 chassis at SEMA this year ... ho-hum, just a modified coupe chassis with a motor that nobody in the real world would likely install in this car.

That opinion, as of yesterday, just got blown out of the water when I saw the scale model and the artist renderings of the body shape. WOW! I am really impressed with styling of the body. I am anxiously awaiting the prototype body ... may have to fly up to Mass. and check it out when it arrives. Well done, Factory Five crew!!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

22. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The carbon fiber body, if it didn't require any body work, makes it very tempting.

Carbon fiber dash option too?
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    Dave,

Let me start out by explaining that I was not a fan of this project. It just didn't resonate with me. Yes, I admit that I am "old school". I saw some of the earlier "spy photos" of the body and was not impressed. I pretty much ignored the F9 chassis at SEMA this year ... ho-hum, just a modified coupe chassis with a motor that nobody in the real world would likely install in this car.

That opinion, as of yesterday, just got blown out of the water when I saw the scale model and the artist renderings of the body shape. WOW! I am really impressed with styling of the body. I am anxiously awaiting the prototype body ... may have to fly up to Mass. and check it out when it arrives. Well done, Factory Five crew!!

Garry
    Couldn't agree more! If the production version holds true to the current configuration / concept then sign me up. I'm already thinking about what to liquidate to fund the kit purchase

I'm assuming that a car of this caliber will come in complete kit form only so won't be cheap especially with a CF body. Expect a 'very complete' kit price on the north side of $30K. Hopefully not too far north of that.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very curious what the price premium would be for a carbon fiber body.
    Gotta imagine a 30k kit is wishful thinking.

A 65 Coupe with a carbon fiber body would be my dream build.
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to guess 40K would be my guess. wink, wink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is an impressive looking car!! I'm really blown away.

It amazes me how such a small group can produce something this complex and super cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simply amazing! Hope to see it at Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious how pricey the carbon body is goingg to make it. Think overall the design is impressively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should we have a contest to guess the "starting price"?
    If so I guess $34, 900

Post Thanks / Like
    $39,900
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea what the sales potential for a car like this is as the price goes up but it certainly goes down considerably. If FFR is aiming for GTM volume sales then $39,900 might be viable. I think at $29,900 they would sell a bunch. At $29,900 I'm a buyer, at $39,900 it would be tough to justify. It's an interesting balance.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    The GTM with a few options is close to 30K, so how much increase in cost is making carbon fiber parts over fiberglass?

If the frame can use some of the jigs of the coupe, then production should be cheaper with more volume ??

I'm thinking 35K

Don't forget part of what makes a super car "super" is the cost that moves it out of the reach of most
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    That will be a dreamer's build for sure. Looks like I'm going to have to call my old employer and come out of retirement for a couple years. Want Want Want.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at the coupe type 65 R.. now I'm going to wait. I'd like to race the car.. I am currently having an all aluminum big block Buick 540 (this isn't cheap.. Buicks never are!) being built in which the weight total built will range from 435 to 485 lb about 800 ish.. the engine needs a home...

Post Thanks / Like
    The Coupe can hit 30K no problem with some options.

And I gotta imagine they'd want their "supercar" to have all the options and not have them driving around with a solid rear axle and manual steering.
    Last edited by delta0014; 12-13-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been looking for a new project since I finished my Cobra and this may just be the project I need. I like the options FF5 always seems to include in their kits- good parts, lots of engine options, good shakedown, and the designs are superb in their lines in my eyes.
    A couple things that interest me- the V12 LS engine is very intriguing- until I saw what they cost and I'm not sure how viable this option would be in most guys' decisions. Here is the webpage for that engine- http://racecast.com.au/v12ls/ ... decide for yourself but an Aluminum 427 Sideoiler would be in this ballpark or a bit cheaper and possibly less issues to live with and find parts for...

The body is absolutely killer in my eyes except for all the black plastic add-ons shown on the body panels at the rear of the front wheel wells, behind the rear wheel wells, and other parts of the body. I hope these don't make it into the final design, but if they do, I'm sure this talented group who frequent this site will find ways to minimize the distraction....

Hoping they will design in OEM style windows, door panels, and some of the other convenience components to save time, expense, and aggravation with the build. Carbon fiber sounds uber sexy, but will add substantially to the kit cost so definitely a factor in decision making. If it truly comes clear coated and doesn't need finishing after fitting and final assembly, it could end up being a bargain in the long run- saving time, labor, and paint/body costs....

Also curious which IRS this is designed to accomodate? Assuming front suspension is similar if not the same as the coupe suspension set up and parts?

Watching this one closely....

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 12-13-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I am factoring in the cost is that you no longer need to source a transaxle which will save quite a bit of money, perhaps to the point of offsetting the cost of the carbon fiber body. And if they do manage to make the body not needing any work, that will be a massive bonus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Road and Track Came out with this:
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ered-supercar/

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Also curious which IRS this is designed to accomodate? Assuming front suspension is similar if not the same as the coupe suspension set up and parts?

Watching this one closely....

Bob
    Since the car is based on the Gen 3 Coupe frame, I assume it'll be the standard 2015+ Mustang GT based IRS they currently offer. The differential, spindles, hubs, brakes, etc can all handle the power and at most they would only need to widen the A-arms to accommodate a wider body and still have good suspension geometry.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the body lines! The more I stare, the more I want to see it full scale. And I agree with Dave and others, that at full scale, will it have the same memorizing feel as it does on screen? Using a GT40 in my mind for comparison reference. And since we're all experts - NOT! But we are giving our own feedback... I would hope that there are additional options to consider? Like some said, side pipes -vs- rear exhaust. Or maybe additional "items" that can be choosen? Like perhaps a few hood choices with various scoops or front clips/rear spoilers or side scoops or maybe even a roof scoop? I guess I'm looking for the opportunity to customize and build one a little different. That way you can make the one you want to build all that more personal, while giving each person a full range of options to choose from for those who do get to build one of these beauties.

Either way, the F9R is --- B!tchen in Kitchen! So, keep on cooking up great things FFR, we're hungry!

Dj
    Last edited by ydousurf; 12-14-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Typo/Grammar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast