Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: What are they made out of (hood and trunk hinges)?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool What are they made out of (hood and trunk hinges)?

Hi all,
    Well, I'm getting ready to fit the body (next year) and thought I should look at the hood and trunk hinges because perhaps they need to be painted. Just a glance and thought they must be bare steel. So, I went to the store and bought some Self-Etching primer and gloss black paint. Took the hinges out of the bag and oh, maybe they are not bare steel. Checked with a magnet and sure enough, not steel. Hmm, must be aluminum. Back to the store to get some Mother's Aluminum polish to make them purdy. Oops, don't feel like aluminum and they ring when dropped. Perhaps they are $tainless $teel? Wow, back to the store. They sure are goin to look purdy. Need to de-burr the laser burns, sand and polish.
    Now I know what I will be doing these long, cold winter days in Florida.
    Love the forum!
    Jeff
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stainless steel. I still powder coat them because I like the black look.
    Mike

3. Thanks Jeff's First FFR thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    (personal preference) powder coat or paint (I like Krylon 2X) semi gloss black. I want the attention on the motor not on a pretty hinge....but that's just me...daBat

5. Thanks frankeeski thanked for this post
    Likes frankeeski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Florida has long cold winter days?

SS. I think I will polish them as well.
    Last edited by MSumners; 12-11-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    I want the attention on the motor not on a pretty hinge....but that's just me...daBat
    Flashy chrome hinges and stripes under the hood...yeah, we know what that means don't we Brother

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah,
    I live in North Florida, near Jacksonville. It has been in the 40-50s lately. Waiting for it to snow.
    I am transplanted from Sunny Southern California...sure do miss it.
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    Yeah,
    I live in North Florida, near Jacksonville. It has been in the 40-50s lately. Waiting for it to snow.
    I am transplanted from Sunny Southern California...sure do miss it.
    Winter is the best driving weather around here. Also the best garage time, as you don't turn into a sweat-ball in 5 minutes. I've been getting some garage time in myself. I lived in So Cal for 10 years. Enjoyed my time, and especially the weather. I'd only go back if the population and cost of living both dropped by 50%.

Stop polishing and get that car together so we can go for a cruise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Flashy chrome hinges and stripes under the hood...yeah, we know what that means don't we Brother

Jeff
    Extra money for da beer. oops--sorry

11. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Extra money for da beer. oops--sorry
    No. Miller and I were commiserating recently about what a pain in the a$$ it is to do underhood stripes and how we try to talk customers out of it. Da bat said if all else fails he hits 'em in the ego by telling the guy that "the only reason to have stripes under the hood it to deflect attention away from a crappy looking engine"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    "crappy looking engine" too funny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    No. Miller and I were commiserating recently about what a pain in the a$$ it is to do underhood stripes and how we try to talk customers out of it. Da bat said if all else fails he hits 'em in the ego by telling the guy that "the only reason to have stripes under the hood it to deflect attention away from a crappy looking engine"

Jeff

Well that's just dandy......now I will just have to resort to name calling and intimidation......maybe a little "rough stuff" to get out of it. Kleiner, my brother.....you know you are the last person in the world I would want to have to hurt but "last" IS STILL ON THE FREEKIN LIST BROTHER ! XOXO