Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: SkipWhite SBC 383

Post Thanks / Like

SkipWhite SBC 383

Anyone drop one of these into a 33 or 35 truck? 500HP is the claim, price is right. Looking for comments from someone who's considered or used this engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice. Here are some things to look at (at least compared to the Blueprint 383).
    - Front end waterpump and and other stuff. There is very little clearance to the front and you need to adjust the mounts to move back ~1/2 in anyway. Might be fine, but be aware.
    - The Oil Sump looks large and may not work with the required headers. Again, not much room in the 33 to play with.
    - My Blueprint ended up with 453Hp and 487lb-ft on the dyno - more than the advertised 430 with the Sniper EFI.

JUst make sure all of the accessories that you want will fit and anything will be fun in this lightweight car!
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard of Skip White or NKB heads so did a quick search. Seems the heads may be made in China and while this was not an exhaustive search, I did see a lot of negative responses and no good reviews. The price is much lower than I would expect if this was truly a quality built engine. The 434 appears to have good quality parts (except the pan I've never heard of) and the price is attractive. For a N/A street engine running on pump gas, I'd prefer the 434 (assuming from a reputable builder) as the longer stroke has an advantage in the RPM range used by a street driven car.

Choose wisely -- first cost should not be the primary deciding factor if you're building one to keep.

I ran a 550HP 383CI SBC in my 33HR the first year and it was fun. More torque and HP is even more fun. The new 406CI engine I built has 800HP in N/A trim and it is more fun than 550HP but also cost more than twice what I had into the 383, and more than twice what Skip White's 434 pump gas engine costs.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

4. Likes HVACMAN, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well thx, guys, I never built a rod before so any info will be soaked up and appreciated. So peterh did the blueprint fit right in? And NAZ i'll check out 434s. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vckiter, go to factoryfiveengines.com if you havent already. This is a blueprint site with product that fits the FFR models. They know what oil pans to use, accessory drive, etc. The package they put together is pretty darn complete and the service is great. Alternatively, Fortes parts is another knowledgable and reputable engine builder
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peterh226 View Post
    Looks nice. Here are some things to look at (at least compared to the Blueprint 383).
    - Front end waterpump and and other stuff. There is very little clearance to the front and you need to adjust the mounts to move back ~1/2 in anyway. Might be fine, but be aware.
    - The Oil Sump looks large and may not work with the required headers. Again, not much room in the 33 to play with.
    - My Blueprint ended up with 453Hp and 487lb-ft on the dyno - more than the advertised 430 with the Sniper EFI.

JUst make sure all of the accessories that you want will fit and anything will be fun in this lightweight car!
    Hi Peter, I understand the limited space issue but do you think there is room for a Weiand 177 PowerCharger?

https://www.holley.com/products/supe...r/parts/6506-1

I would love to put one in!

Thanks,

Sean

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    VC,

Here is my entire drive-line setup which runs very well because the car is so light so I think you'll be A-Okay with those engine specs if properly geared.
    My specs are similar to what you are looking at; however, the Dart Iron Eagle 215 Heads are the high port design which forced me into single plane intake.
    The car runs well all they way down to 1,700 RPM even though the combination really shouldn't operate below 2,000.
    Operation range is 2,200-6,200 with the red line of 6,500 RPM.

Old Go-Kart Video:

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

1. 383 Small Block Dart 10-1 Somewhat Pump Gas Friendly Compression Ratio!
    2. Eagle Internally Balanced Rotating Assembly With 6" H-Beam Rods With Floating Forged Flat Tops.
    3. Dart Iron Eagle 215 CC Heads with 2.05 Intake & 1.60 Exhaust Valves.
    4. Harland Sharp Roller Rockers & Other Go Fast Goodies.
    5. Comp Cam Extreme Energy 288 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Cam
    6. Edelbrock AVS 800 Feeding A Weiand 7530 Team-G Single Plane Manifold.
    7. Schoenfeld IMCA Modified Headers & They Really, Really Fit, But Stuff Had To Move A Bit!
    8. New Old Stock Corvette ZF 6-Speed Transmission With Hydraulic Clutch. (.75 5th & .50 6th Gear Over Drives)
    9. Standard Front End Set Up With Mustang Brakes & Forte’s .75” Sway Bar.
    10. Standard 3 Link Moser Dana 44 (TSD 500) Rear With 3.73 Gears & Explorer Brakes.

Youtube Video With Rev Limiter Set @ 4,000 RPM To Keep Me Out Of The Ditches:
    https://youtu.be/wOID7yvBRPU

Please know that I have issues with wheel spin above 3,500 RPM since I'm running NITTO 555's that have a 300 tread wear rating.
    I really need to go to a 555-R, NT-01, NT-05 or NT-05-R if I expect to be able to really push the car to it's limits.

Hope This Helps With Your Engine Combination Choice!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-15-2019 at 02:13 PM.

9. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty View Post
    Hi Peter, I understand the limited space issue but do you think there is room for a Weiand 177 PowerCharger?

https://www.holley.com/products/supe...r/parts/6506-1

I would love to put one in!

Thanks,

Sean
    The fit challenges will probably be more with hood and sides in that case. This is a really small car and not much room. Good luck.
    - Peterh226 #1134

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peterh226 View Post
    The fit challenges will probably be more with hood and sides in that case. This is a really small car and not much room. Good luck.
    Thanks Peter. Not planning on running hood or side panels. I was more concerned with the space with the added Pulley for the the belt drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Where there is a will, there is a way. This is a small car and everything is tight. It’s really a matter of creating what you want. With the front end stuff I have, water pump, a/c, alternator, there is no room for a blower belt. But I’m sure there are plenty of people that have shoehorned one in. Good luck and choose your battles wisely.
    - Peterh226 #1134

13. Likes shmelty liked this post