Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New member from Georgia

Post Thanks / Like

New member from Georgia

Hello everyone,
    My name is Donny and I am new to the forum. Little background.....just retired after more then 20 years in the military and want to start a new project. I just finished a 1975 IH Scout complete resto with LS swap, before that, a '67 Shelby GT500 Mustang. My garage has been empty for a few months now and I have a 2014 Coyote w/whipple and a 2015 IRS in my garage just waiting to go into something. I have been following FFR for a few years now, and with the beautiful weather in Georgia, I would like to build a Roadster. I have been trying to use the search feature all week so I don't ask any redundant questions, but to no avail. So I will just come out and ask......I am going to call tomorrow and hopefully order my roadster and am torn on the extra 7k for the complete kit VS the basic kit. In yall's opinion, is the extra 7k worth the complete kit? I like the idea of the wilwood pedal box and master cylinders, but im pretty sure I can buy those from the factory separate....I think. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everything and I am looking forward to reading more of the past posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built my Mk 4 with the compete kit and don’t regret it. You’ll likely get differing opinions, I’d reach out to the pros, Jeff Kliener,, Mark Dougherty, etc. I suspect a lot will have to do with your intended use and how many mods you’re planning.

Where at in Ga? There’s are a lot of roadster pilots up there. Great driving roads and weather.

Best of luck

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan on making a lot of changes from what the complete kit offers, the basic kit may be the best way unless you don't mind listing, selling, and shipping the extra parts. You can always have them take off the things you don't need from a complete kit. They're really good about making changes right up until pick up. Plan it out, research it to death, and have a good time. The build IS the best part.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Donny

I retired from the military about four years ago and build a roadster as a retirement project. I purchased the complete kit because I didn’t want to try and find all of the parts not included in the base kit, I wanted to know that all of the parts had been used/tested for a while and that the parts in the kit would match up with the build manual. Saving some money using refurbished parts was not part of the decision process.

I completed my build in about six months not including body and paint so I would recommend the complete kit.

I would also try to buy during one of the sales you can save a lot.

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Augusta/Evans. I chose to start a second career with a government agency here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the positive response. I have a coyote, I hope the whipple fits under the hood, and a 2015 IRS in the back. Other than that, pretty straight forward with the Wilwood brakes. Just was adding all the parts they supply and for me to buy them new from the local auto parts store or Rock auto, it added up to around 6k. So I was trying to do a comparative cost analysis and the difference in prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the military now, and plan to do the same thing when I retire as well. I have been following a lot peoples builds and getting an idea of what I want to do and what I want to do with the car when finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered today #140037. Complete kit for my Coyote and IRS option. Looking forward to meeting some people in the GA/SC area. Please let me know who you are.

9. Likes John4337 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations I’m sure you will have a great time building roadster and even more fun once you get it out on the road
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater