Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Factory Five - less then stellar experience

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Five - less then stellar experience

Yes, this is not going to be a positive thread. And as a disclaimer, I don't think I have ever done a negative review for a business or service. This will be my first one. So, here it goes:

- Original order started on August 9, 2019
    - Completion date September 14, 2019
    - FFR payed in full September 5, 2019
    - Kit delivered mid October 2019

As of December 13th, which is today, most of key components are still missing. Over 4 months from original order date and nearly $30K later, I still don't have the following:

- IRS components to finish rear end
    - Steering rack components to finish steering
    - Gas tank still missing to finish fueling, tank cover arrived separately but no tank
    - Engine mounts to install engine are not here
    - One of roll bars to take everything at once metal to a paint shop for ceramic coating not here

My last email to XXX XXX (only email) politely asking for the status of the POL parts was sent out on December 9th, and no one bothered to reply still. That's five business days without any response.

Once my car is finished, I doubt I will do any future business with FFR, nor will I recommend them to anyone else. Perhaps they are more concerned with SEMA, and launching new car models, expanding the facility, or whatever, but it is a function of time that neglecting core customers and poor timeliness will affect their business. Your milage may vary, but I am going to give FFR C- rating.

Alex Ivatchev
    Order #137645
    Last edited by Alex_V; 12-13-2019 at 02:18 PM.

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same boat... I ordered about the same time you did

Definitely annoyed at the long list of POL parts and how long it has taken. Especially since there's still no estimate on some of my parts.

Pretty happy with the build and everything else associated with it outside of the backorder. But they really, really need to get their inventory straightened out.
    Especially when you announce a 25th Anniversary model, you gotta imagine you're gonna sell them quick and should have the parts stocked up...
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Send Dave a letter. Or e mail
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

5. Likes MCathcart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would give the a call and talk with someone. They get busy but always answer the phone.

Henry

7. Likes RobW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Backorder (POL) situations have been talked about a lot. Probably unfortunate that (1) Not made 100% clear up front that there will be some parts in that category, and (2) You do have to pay 100% before delivery, even without all the parts. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way which I kind of understand. I've been through this several times. Sometimes a short list, other times more extensive like yours seems to be. What I have found is that calling and talking to someone is far superior to actual emails, unless you have a direct contact you're working with. Once you do have a direct contact, often they will work with you via email and provide part by part status on a regular basis. I guarantee someone there knows the status of each of those parts. Just a matter of getting to the right person.

I would encourage you that rarely are you completely stopped. Unless you are a very fast builder, you can make progress and work around the missing parts. May not follow the exact manual sequence or may not be what you want or expect to do. But it's usually possible. I will also add that once you're further down the road with a completed build and enjoy the satisfaction of the your completed project and the blast of owning and driving, this will be a distant memory. Try not to let it ruin the experience.

Doesn't help you, but Factory Five is apparently installing new operating software that is supposed to improve their forecasting and delivery processes. What they have used up to now is pretty basic and they've clearly outgrown it. Hopefully it will be successful and reduce these kinds of situations. But in the end, there are a lot of parts and they are also very dependent on suppliers. Not only their in-house production. And you're right. They're busy and do a lot with a relatively small crew. So it's not a simple situation.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex,

I understand the frustration you're experiencing. My order had a fairly lengthy POL. Fortunately, my parts started arriving within a couple of weeks and my build wasn't delayed with anything other than the steering rack which took several months to arrive. Thank you for showing restraint and not blasting threats and disrespectful comments in your post. I recommend you follow Paul's (edwardb) advice and give FFR a call. If you don't get an acceptable response, ask to speak to Dave Smith and let him know your concerns. He is very hands-on and will make every effort possible to resolve your concerns.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
    Yes, this is not going to be a positive thread. And as a disclaimer, I don't think I have ever done a negative review for a business or service. This will be my first one. So, here it goes:

- Original order started on August 9, 2018

As of December 13th, which is today, most of key components are still missing. Over 4 months from original order date and nearly $30K later, I still don't have the following:

- IRS components to finish rear end
    - Steering rack components to finish steering
    - Gas tank still missing to finish fueling, tank cover arrived separately but no tank
    - Engine mounts to install engine are not here
    - One of roll bars to take everything at once metal to a paint shop for ceramic coating not here

My last email to XXX XXX (only email) politely asking for the status of the POL parts was sent out on December 9th, and no one bothered to reply still. That's five business days without any response.

Once my car is finished, I doubt I will do any future business with FFR, nor will I recommend them to anyone else. Perhaps they are more concerned with SEMA, and launching new car models, expanding the facility, or whatever, but it is a function of time that neglecting core customers and poor timeliness will affect their business. Your milage may vary, but I am going to give FFR C- rating.

Alex Ivatchev
    Order #137645
    My delivery date was Aug 8th and I still have one item left on the POL. It is the coolant overflow tank. I've already replaced it with a larger one from Summit. During my build, I had a medium sized POL and quite a few parts trickled in the first month. It must cost F5 a lot with FedEx to ship these parts out across the country rather than to have them on the Stewart truck with delivery. I was able to work around the missing parts without it slowing my progress. I really had to go out of order from what the manual recommends though.

Any email that I sent to F5 were quickly and professionally responded to. I never had to ask twice for anything or had something go unanswered.

The main components missing on your POL are more critical to the build than mine were. It would really frustrate me to be missing so many parts and not to be able to make significant progress on the build for 2 months. Ordering a complete kit, but only having a partial kit arrive, and waiting two months with so many critical parts not delivered is unacceptable. That being said, don't let stop you from enjoying the build and the car. I've had so much fun, made new friends, and look forward to driving it one day and attending events.

My #1 complaint is the number of inferior parts that I decided to replace. I understand that F5 wants to keep the price point under $20K for the base price on the complete kit. But I wish they offered an option to upgrade as a kit some of the lesser parts so that the buyer could pay only once for them. Examples are the tie rod ends, ball joints, fuel tank to filler neck gasket, clutch and accel cable, and a lot of parts that are made in India and China.

Terry
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not really frustrated or upset. Just an honest review of the purchasing / delivery part of the experience. Going into it I knew that there will be POL items and some sort of wait. In my particular situation nearly every system is currently incomplete due to missing parts.

There were a couple calls to FFR and last was an email. First calls yielded no ETA and last email simply was, and still is, ignored. Overall, I don’t really feel like chasing parts at this price point.

Ultimately, I was hoping to make good progress on the car during Holliday season, which is near 5 months from original order. I have help available, and time. After the first things will get real busy for me.

There was a consideration to order another kit after this build, but I won’t.

Post Thanks / Like
    - Original order started on August 9, 2018
    I'm assuming this is a typo?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this just their way of doing business. I ordered a tilt steering column around july 2018, still waiting...

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a consideration to order another kit after this build, but I won’t.
    My plan is to finish the Roadster and drive it for a few years, sell it, then build a Coupe. The POL list is annoying, but hasn't changed my mind on doing another.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

15. Likes toadster liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Unlike Today, Factory Five Racing Really Had Their Act Together When I Ordered My Kit.

November 10th, 2014......I Ordered My MK-4 Complete Kit
    January 27th, 2015.........The Kit Arrived & The Driver Was Excellent

My body was excellent & my back ordered parts list was very small and didn't hamper my build.

Steering Wheel Center (Horn Button)
    Lemans Gas Cap
    Windshield Wiper Kit
    A Quick Connect Fuel Lines (That I Wasn't Using Anyway)
    Ugly Pointy Rear View Mirror (That I Also Didn't Use)

What I experienced then now seems to be an anomaly compared to what I'm seeing on the forum today.

Great Kit!
    Great Service!
    Fantastic Workmanship!
    Fantastic POL Follow Up & Assistance From Dan G. & Tony Z.
    Fantastic Body With Absolutely No Voids Nor Ugly Mold Parting Lines!

My Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...4orIm7w/videos

Dave,

Please Give Your Current Customers The Same Quality Parts & Service That I Received!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-13-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrman View Post
    I think this just their way of doing business. I ordered a tilt steering column around july 2018, still waiting...
    You waited 17ish months for a part? Not be condescending, but have you talked to someone over there? After waiting 2-3 months, I feel like I have been robbed and start talking to everyone....

I do think they operate a pretty ethical shop though. FF somehow dropped my steering wheel from a POL at one point. I waited a couple of weeks, then called. They checked into my order, noticed their mistake, and sent one out that day. Any part I have had issues with, they replace without question and they take on the shipping.

I am sorry to hear about your experience, I hope you get this worked out.

Post Thanks / Like
    not, waited. still waiting. I've pretty much givin up.

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense, but that makes no sense. Every time I've called FFR, I've always been able to speak to someone that can give me an update to what is going on. After a few months, I would have asked for a refund.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Backorders have been part of the equation since 1998 (not a typo) but they always come through, not that I agree with it just a fact. Drill all the aluminum (don't install) Install what you can, electrical, brakes what suspension is available etc. Keep plugging away and in the end it will all be OK. HTH, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a call from FFR. All my parts are ready to ship but a roll bar. Great news indeed. Something got lost in translation and things were not communicated.

Every company can have things delayed. Or mistakes can be made. How these situations are handled do define people and businesses.

I wish things were done quicker, but I am happy with how this was handled.
    Last edited by Alex_V; 12-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.

22. Thanks David Hodgkins, GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes David Hodgkins, Papa, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear.
    Also, good to see that you tried to be honest yet not berating during your assessment. I think that speaks a lot to you.

Hope the project goes smoothly from here and you enjoy the build!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been (as others too) waiting for the "new/improved" bumpers from FFR. Been about 18 mos. I don't need them (the car's registered/licensed) but I give FFR a gentle reminder every few months about it. They always reply promptly, offer the "old style", and end with "We'll let you know".

I don't know this for a fact, but my assumption is that FFR has experienced explosive growth in the last few years, and their "systems" haven't caught up to the load.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

25. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Purchaser, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Afternoon Everyone,
    I just spoke with Alex and am taking care of him as I type this message. As for the elephant in the room, back-orders, I, on behalf of Factory Five want to apologize for all of the delays. As purchaser, I take full responsibility. Whether the parts are not available because I ordered more from their respective supplier late or when a supplier may be running behind with production for one of many reasons, it ultimately falls on me. As someone stated above, it costs us a lot of money to ship out back-orders after you have taken possession of your kit, not to mention the frustrations it causes when you go to work on a specific section of your car and don't have the parts. None of us want that. In a perfect world, we would have all parts available at all times, but unfortunately, that it is not. Please understand, that when back-order parts do become available, our shipping department sends them out to everyone, in as timely a fashion as possible, in a chronological order that they are owed. If any of you have every visited us in Wareham (much appreciated if you have), you have seen the amazing, but small group of men and women we have working their hearts out, day in and day out, whether in sales/tech, packaging, shipping/receiving, welding/metal fabrication, molding, engineering, R&D, and even accounting, all so you have the opportunity to build your dream car. We are in the midst of integrating a new mrp (inventory/sales) system which will assist with these delays in the future, I know that doesn't help you now, but please know that we are trying to improve every day. If anyone has any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to send me an email, [email protected], or call me at (508) 291-3443.
    Thank You and Happy Holidays!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a call from jay @ FFR. seems we had some, miscommunication/confusion at time of order? he was very supportive and I'm satisfied

Post Thanks / Like
    I run into this in my job all the time, a LOT is lost in emails, texting, twitter, facebook, forums, etc. Even with all this technology, a phone call is still the best way to avoid confusion and resolve issues.

29. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is good news... I always tell people "CALL" , don't email or leave messages... they will get you what you need!! Keep going with what you have... glad you're back to moving again!!!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

31. Thanks frankeeski thanked for this post
    Likes frankeeski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My approach to this type of situation has always been, all companies make mistakes, it matters more how they deal with them.

My POL was fairly short and FFR was very good at dealing with it. I will definitely order from them again...provided my wife lets me
    Last edited by GTBradley; 12-15-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

33. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More words on the topic.

I'm sure there are tweaks that FFR could make to improve the POL situation. In my experience, it is possible to ensure that you never run out of stock of pretty much anything. However, increased inventory reliability results in increased carrying costs. FFR has done an incredible job holding kit prices as the same level for years at a stretch. How many ads have there been to buy something before the prices go up in January? For some companies, annual price increases are the norm. Not for FFR. In addition to holding prices where they are, R&D has been moving full steam ahead. Investing the $$ it would take to ensure 100% material availability would draw from R&D elsewhere and/or increase in the price of their products.

I had the opportunity to meet Dave Smith while on a trip to MA. The enthusiasm he showed for his company was infectious. Yeah back orders are a nuisance. I'm sure FFR has weighed the costs and lost opportunities associated with "fixing" the POLs

In my case, my POL list was resolved within a month of picking up my Roadster kit. Also, FFR was quick to respond to my questions and concerns.

Rob
    Base MK4 #9346; Purchased Black Friday '17; Picked up 4/28/18
    Donor: 98 GT; Stripped: 8/16/18. Build Started: 1/4/19
    3-Link, Powder coated Satin Black, F5 LCAs, F5 Radiator
    1st Start __________; Go-Cart__________; Registered_________

Post Thanks / Like
    I could sing the praises of Factory Fives customer service for a year and not get tired. I ordered my hot rod in may of this year and they have acted like I’m the only guy they care about. There have certainly been some growing pains with the gen 2 car but they have ALWAYS been responsive.

With their volume of cars and the sheer quantity of parts required, I am sure they screw up regularly. My order wasn’t perfect. But It’s the cleanup on aisle 3 that made me loyal.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k