Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clutch pedal hitting frame

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch pedal hitting frame

I've been avoiding this one for a while however the engine is poised and ready to be installed. The clutch pedal is hitting one of the 1" x 1" tubes before fully extending to the floor. Its a Mk4 complete kit utilizing the Wilwood pedal box. There is also a thread on the coupe forum discussing the same issue.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...pedal-vs-frame.....

Your thoughts?

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    The clutch pedal should not hit the frame. However, your engine and transmission should be installed so you can check if the clutch pedal is engaging fully before you cut or re-weld anything.
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    No frame cutting or welding in my future. I'll send you a few pictures.

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    P1140856.jpgP1140862.jpg
    Take a look. Please tell me I did something wrong.

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Same issue with my Mk4. The Pedal hits the frame when the pad is still about quite a ways from the rear of the footbox. Not sure how far the pedal needs to travel with the cable clutch. I know that this setup will not work with a hydraulic clutch without notching the frame tube. I am planning on sticking with the cable setup and hoping for the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked with Brian Z at Factory Five last week and he was going to speak with engineering and get back to me. Probably a good idea for me to call him back because as it stands today, its unusable without some modification.

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Will this also be a problem on my MK 3.1, if I change to the forged clutch pedal? Just wondering if they modified the tubes on the MK 4. Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Mark 4 complete with Wilwood box and have no clearance issue. Don't know what the difference is. I'll look mine over next time I'm at the shop.
    Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected! Mine touches but way deep in the stroke. Haven't fired it yet so I don't know for sure but it appears the clutch will fully disengage. May know more this weekend.
    Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Old style Wilwood pedal box or new one with the adjustable pedals.?

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Jason,

What's the plan?

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Fred,
    Did you ever get an answer on this issue of the pedal hitting the frame? Im having the same problem with my MK4. Let me know.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,
    I talked with Jason last week regarding the clutch pedal hitting the frame issue and he said they were working to resolve the problem and would hopefully have a solution within the next week or so. Today I called Factory Five on another issue and spoke with Brian, while I had him on the phone I inquired if
    they had made any progress on the clutch pedal hitting the frame problem and his response was to trim the clutch pedal to make it work. At this point, I
    am not very comfortable trimming the clutch pedal! It has been over three weeks that Factory Five has been aware of this design problem and from the
    discussion I had today, I could be wrong, but I did not have a warm and fuzzy feeling that a solution was imminent.

Harold

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very surprised to here that the fix is to trim the pedal. On the other forum there has already been a couple of the new style clutch pedal arms breaking above the pivot due to the clutch quadrant attachment method. These pedal arms appear to not be a strong as one might think and I would be very leary about trimming or modifying the pedal arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Harold,

I said that is what "I" would do. We are still waiting for an official solution from our engineers. Trimming a little off the forged pedal should still be stronger than using the other style pedal.

You also could just run the pedals. Even if the pedal hits the frame, you should have enough throw to fully engage the clutch.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,

I'm beginning to think you guys haven't looked at this. Leaving it as is, or cutting/notching the frame or pedal is not a viable option.

-Fred
    Last edited by FMJ; 10-05-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Tech Manager, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood Pedal Options for Mk4 or Type 65 Coupe

Hi guys,

After discussing with Jesper and Jim in Engineering, I have a couple of options. The primary option, if you have a clutch pedal that is contacting the chassis, is to contact one of the guys here by phone, and through Wilwood we can switch it over to the earlier style pedal. Here are the differences between the two clutch pedal designs:

Earlier Wilwood Clutch Pedal:
    - Cast aluminum construction
    - Narrower width (clears through full travel of clutch)
    - Fixed pedal surface

Current Wilwood Clutch Pedal:
    - Forged aluminum construction
    - Wider (causing clearance issue far into clutch travel)
    - Adjustable, bolt-on pedal surface

If you prefer to keep the existing pedal, I'd suggest creating a stop that the pedal will contact in a perpendicular fashion, to avoid any possibility of binding. The compromise here is that you don't have as much clutch travel, but in our experience, it's unlikely you'd need that much travel anyway.

If you prefer to swap to the earlier style pedal, you will be giving up the benefits of the newer one, but gaining the full travel.

Of course some people have modified the pedal or the chassis to create the conditions they're after, but that's not recommended.

If you need to swap your pedal, or if you have any other questions, just call (508) 291-3443 or email [email protected].

Thanks!

Jason @ FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason,

Wilwood part numbers for the brake and clutch pedals are 330-3343 and 330-3345. Should I just order them myself?

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprise, surprise, the pedals arrived at my door today.

Thank you.
    Last edited by FMJ; 12-13-2011 at 11:02 PM.