Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New Car Build Questions for New York . . .

Chairman Cuomos Peoples Republik of Central New Yorkistan
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car Build Questions for New York . . .

I will be starting a Type 65 Coupe later this year with a BluePrint 347 carbureted motor, not sure yet if it will be a single Holley 4 Barrel or 4 x 2 barrel Webers . . . are there any emissions hoops I will have to jump through here in NY State? This is my first Kit Car.

I am just finishing up a 1991 Porsche 944S2 with a carbureted SBC and it has to pass a visual emissions inspection (CAT, O2 Sensors . . etc)

Thanks in advance.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard From The Deep Dark Dart Sided South!

..........Good luck with your quest & the Emissions Police in New York.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-13-2020 at 10:17 PM.

3. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends as to whether you are upstate or downstate. If you are upstate I am pretty sure all you need is a PCV valve. At least that is all that was required as of several years ago. Downstate is another story which I am not familiar with but I know there are more requirements.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtlw View Post
    It all depends as to whether you are upstate or downstate. If you are upstate I am pretty sure all you need is a PCV valve. At least that is all that was required as of several years ago. Downstate is another story which I am not familiar with but I know there are more requirements.

Todd
    Hi Todd, I am Upstate in CNY about 20 miles south of Rome. I understand that the emissions requirement depends on the car the donor motor came out of . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    I live near Albany NY and built my basic roadster kit using a 1996 mustang gt donor with a 4.6 SOHC engine. It is my recollection and experience that in upstate, NYS does not actually do an emissions inspection on home built cars. My recollection is that during the registration process you are asked to affirm that your car has all the emissions equipment that was installed in the year the donor was built. the form has a list of items like Cats, EGR, PCV, charcoal canister, etc. The State does not inspect the car to see if the equipment is actually there; they take your word for it. Unbelievable, I know, but that's how it worked for me. In this public forum I will not state what equipment my car had or didn't have, what I said it had but didn't have. I will leave it at this. It is registered and has passed safety inspection for the past 4 years. Also, with regards to annual inspections, I have found that who does the inspection makes all the difference. As one person said to me, "not every shop knows you to inspect these cars." You can PM if you want to discuss my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Hauser View Post
    I live near Albany NY and built my basic roadster kit using a 1996 mustang gt donor with a 4.6 SOHC engine. It is my recollection and experience that in upstate, NYS does not actually do an emissions inspection on home built cars. My recollection is that during the registration process you are asked to affirm that your car has all the emissions equipment that was installed in the year the donor was built. the form has a list of items like Cats, EGR, PCV, charcoal canister, etc. The State does not inspect the car to see if the equipment is actually there; they take your word for it. Unbelievable, I know, but that's how it worked for me. In this public forum I will not state what equipment my car had or didn't have, what I said it had but didn't have. I will leave it at this. It is registered and has passed safety inspection for the past 4 years. Also, with regards to annual inspections, I have found that who does the inspection makes all the difference. As one person said to me, "not every shop knows you to inspect these cars." You can PM if you want to discuss my experience.

sent you a PM Joel