FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Ol' Blue - My 1956 Ford Pickup

Post Thanks / Like

Ol' Blue - My 1956 Ford Pickup

A long time ago in the Milky Way Galaxy on planet Earth... Eh, you get the picture. This was my old 1956 Ford Pickup Truck that I owned as a very young (18 years of age) kid! I always dreamed of two vehicles; an AC Cobra, and a lowered and customized 56 Ford Pickup. I knew it would be many, many more years to when I would have the finances to get a Cobra, but when I saw this 56 Ford Pickup, I knew it had to be mine! Long story short... I made an offer to the previous owner, who at the time wasn't selling it, but he took my cash offer and I bought it. Now to begin my dream to customize and trick it out. And so I added a; 390 Ford, Front (Torsion-bar) Suspension kit, Cadillac tilt steering column and a front-end tilt for starters. I had BIG plans for it. I also wanted to shorten the rear axle with monster meats in the back and could picture it with the new oak wood bed. Oh man, she was going to be sweet!

Well, the years went by and then I got married and had 3 children. I had parked Ol' Blue on the side of my garage for a couple more years, but that's when life got difficult for us financially. And sometimes we have to make sacrifices. To this day I still think back on this truck and wish I never would've sold it! One of my top 3 mistakes I've made - LIVE and LEARN!!!

As for the pictures, listen kids, we didn't all have cell phones back then like we do today. I still remember borrowing my Mom's Kodak camera and taking a couple snaps here and there, and then having to wait weeks or month(s) for them to be developed. My Mom is the one who took the picture of my friend (Curtis) and I. She was so tolerable and supportive when I took up a chunk of driveway space while doing this crazy customization. Anyway, to add more to the sadness, we experienced a major flood in our basement many years later. We lost all kinds of sentimental items, including a few photograph albums. So, these are the only photo's I have left. I don't even have one with the front-end opened up. I'll no doubt think about Ol' Blue a lot, since it actually is the basis of my Roadster Build.

So, when I sold Ol' Blue all those 30+ years ago, my wife (Jill) agreed that someday I would be able to get a Cobra in exchange for the sacrifice of selling my 56. And, well, now it's is "someday" and I'm so looking forward to fulfilling this heartache and replacing it with a FFR Mk4 Roadster, that, and a BIG SMILE on my face! I so can't wait to get started!

Ol' Blue https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1650 Photo Album

Dj

{*NOTE: I'm playing w/adding pictures and links in preparation for documenting my build.}
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great story, looks like my parents driveway used to look like.

4. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, great story - thanks for sharing. Lots of similarities to my 18-year-old self, all the way down to locale. I was a bit farther south of Greeley (Littleton), but your photos bring back memories of what the Denver area looked and felt like back then. My first car was a '68 Cougar much like the one shown below. (Similar to you, I have a hard time finding photos of the actual car as electronic copies were years in the future). Bought the car for $180 from the owner who had blown out the timing chain (remember the nylon coated timing gears?) and had a hard time putting it all back together. Threw all the parts in a box, towed it home, had it running within a couple days. It had a small block 302 with a top-loader 4 speed that I always wanted to change out for a big block 390. But before I could get around to it, I crashed the car in an April snow storm, putting an end to that dream. The car was heavy, handled poorly, braked even worse, but I still miss it.

My Cobra is a Cougar reincarnated, but with modern solutions to everything the Cougar lacked. It transports me back every time I drive it, and I'm sure yours will, too. Congratulations on the realization of your dream!

-Karl

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

6. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Tony, my parents were very supportive and I know that helped a bunch by not having the pressure to finish it quickly.

I love the Cougar, Karl! I always fancied those and especially the headlights, that and the sequential taillights stand in a class of their own in regards for function and design! As for the nylon gears, yeah, put those in the pile where the Pinto is? You know, looking at your photo, a person has to stop and fully realize that the late 60's and early 70's really had the most beauitful cars! Karl, you also have a keen eye! That pic was taken from a neighborhood in Thorton.

I guess in the end, sometimes all we have left are the memories, but hopefully there are some "Good and Great Times" to he found within them? I know this is the basis of my desire, that is, in regards to me wanting to build a roadster. I know I'll carry the spirit of both my Mom and Dad with me throughout the entire build as it takes shape and whenever i'm driving it in the future...

Dj
    Last edited by ydousurf; 01-07-2020 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Typo/Grammar