Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: The Pipes Are Too Loud!

Post Thanks / Like

The Pipes Are Too Loud!

I have driven my Coupe about 135 miles now and I don't think I can live with these pipes at least not on the street … Too Loud even with earplugs!

I have a 5.0 Coyote with the FFR long tube SS Headers and the FFR stock Type 65 Coupe Side Pipes.

I really like the look of the twin side pipes … does anyone have a quieter solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you looked at Boig Motorsports Quiet Pipes?

https://boigmotorsports.com/product/...-coyote-coupe/
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Spintech does make a set of pipes for the Daytona; however, I have no idea how loud they are.

https://spintechmufflers.com/5-oval-...daytona-coupe/

Hope this helps give you an additional option.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can try these, they make different sizes and they will fit past turn-down ells: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-629022/overview/

I use two of these back to back on each header collector on open exhaust. If you position these before or after mufflers they will cut the noise down and are much cheaper than purchasing new mufflers.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Why are those side pipes so expensive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Two plug and play options that I am aware of - Bob Boig makes excellent pipes/headers that sound great and fit perfectly. His are single tube but they are working on twin tubes. Georgie from Gas N’ Pipes makes a twin tube set. I’ve had both and have nothing negative to say about either set.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's more information about the Gen 3 Coupe side pipe option from Gas-N that Henry mentioned. Posted this about six months ago. What's discussed and pictured there are the prototypes, and aren't polished. Since then, have received and installed the production polished version, and just updated the thread with a couple new pics. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-and-Sidepipes
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the inserts as suggested by NAZ ona Gen 1 coupe with a pretty wild 347. Made a huge difference but still resonably loud. The mufflers will get progressively louder the more you drive as the packing inside deteriorates.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently received my polished GasN pipes and they are magical. Georgie makes headers that normally mate with his side pipes. I had previously purchased Gen 3 coupe headers from GP headers(they match up with the side pipes that FFR ships). I believe the Gen 3 headers are identical to the roadster headers. I explained my situation to Georgie and he made a set of side pipes that fit the standard Gen 3 headers pretty well after a 1 1/2" wedge from Breeze. Its ideal to get the combo from GasN if you want his side pipes, but he can make it work if you already have the headers.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis500 View Post
    I recently received my polished GasN pipes and they are magical. Georgie makes headers that normally mate with his side pipes. I had previously purchased Gen 3 coupe headers from GP headers(they match up with the side pipes that FFR ships). I believe the Gen 3 headers are identical to the roadster headers. I explained my situation to Georgie and he made a set of side pipes that fit the standard Gen 3 headers pretty well after a 1 1/2" wedge from Breeze. Its ideal to get the combo from GasN if you want his side pipes, but he can make it work if you already have the headers.
    Cool. Glad those worked out for you. Georgie's parts are amazing. But for my Gen 3 Coupe with a Coyote, which was the prototype for his new pipes, the headers are custom and definitely not the same as standard Roadster headers. Glad he was able to accommodate the headers you already had. Sounds like he can do it either way.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

11. Likes jdavis500 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that, but I'm with the quote "if it's too loud, your'e too old!"
    FWIW I have the twin pipes and it sounds too mellow, almost constricted.

Troy
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like
    After flying jets I am not interested in an annoyingly loud car.
    There is a difference between a good sounding car and a loud and obnoxious car.
    Just my .02 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    You can try these, they make different sizes and they will fit past turn-down ells: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-629022/overview/

I use two of these back to back on each header collector on open exhaust. If you position these before or after mufflers they will cut the noise down and are much cheaper than purchasing new mufflers.
    How do these get installed? Say I wanted to install them in the FFR pipes that came with the kit, would a shop split the pipes at the weld to install them?
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    How do these get installed? Say I wanted to install them in the FFR pipes that came with the kit, would a shop split the pipes at the weld to install them?
    Full disclosure: I don't own a coupe or roadster and have never installed these in one of the typical exhaust systems that come with these cars. However, I have used these a few times with conventional 4 into 1 collector style header systems with collectors and exhaust pipes in 3.0" thru 4.0". The inserts are designed to install into the collector or somewhere along the exhaust pipe. They come in 3.0", 3.5", and 4.0" (perhaps more sizes that I'm unaware of). They do quiet down the exhaust with minimum loss of performance. If you want the exhaust OEM quiet, these are not for you. But they will make the exhaust quieter than the typical Harley running the mean streets of anytown USA.

If installing them near the turn-down, simply slip them in (small end first, i.e. small end toward the engine) past the ell. There are three fasteners that hold them in place (need two minimum). You need to drill the holes where appropriate. Of course you could also weld them as I did my latest set but they are designed to be removable.

I used two in series for my bad boy, installed ~1" apart. They are made from perforated S.S. sheet metal that has an open area larger than the diameter of the pipe and provide little back pressure and work by forcing the gas flow to turn which reduces velocity each time it makes a sharp turn. You can run as many as you can afford in series until you get the sound you're after. You just need enough open pipe to allow enough room to insert them.

If it looks like this may work for you buy them from Summit Racing. You can test fit one and if it doesn't work out Summit will take them back and even pay the return shipping via a postage paid shipping label that comes in the box. They just need to be in salable condition on the original package. Can't beat that.

Or you could buy a new exhaust for much more $$ and try selling the old one.

If you want a super trick set-up you can get a shop to weld a Supertrapp disc system on your existing side pipes and these can easily be tuned like a piano for whatever level of sweet music you want to hear: https://supertrapp.com/shop-products/universal

17. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Full disclosure: I don't own a coupe or roadster and have never installed these in one of the typical exhaust systems that come with these cars. However, I have used these a few times with conventional 4 into 1 collector style header systems with collectors and exhaust pipes in 3.0" thru 4.0". The inserts are designed to install into the collector or somewhere along the exhaust pipe. They come in 3.0", 3.5", and 4.0" (perhaps more sizes that I'm unaware of). They do quiet down the exhaust with minimum loss of performance. If you want the exhaust OEM quiet, these are not for you. But they will make the exhaust quieter than the typical Harley running the mean streets of anytown USA.

If installing them near the turn-down, simply slip them in (small end first, i.e. small end toward the engine) past the ell. There are three fasteners that hold them in place (need two minimum). You need to drill the holes where appropriate. Of course you could also weld them as I did my latest set but they are designed to be removable.

I used two in series for my bad boy, installed ~1" apart. They are made from perforated S.S. sheet metal that has an open area larger than the diameter of the pipe and provide little back pressure and work by forcing the gas flow to turn which reduces velocity each time it makes a sharp turn. You can run as many as you can afford in series until you get the sound you're after. You just need enough open pipe to allow enough room to insert them.

If it looks like this may work for you buy them from Summit Racing. You can test fit one and if it doesn't work out Summit will take them back and even pay the return shipping via a postage paid shipping label that comes in the box. They just need to be in salable condition on the original package. Can't beat that.

Or you could buy a new exhaust for much more $$ and try selling the old one.

If you want a super trick set-up you can get a shop to weld a Supertrapp disc system on your existing side pipes and these can easily be tuned like a piano for whatever level of sweet music you want to hear: https://supertrapp.com/shop-products/universal
    i have used the perf cones before and did very little i wouldnt waste my money on these

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any pictures of the Pipes on your Gen 3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Same principal as flowmaster slimeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 7tvette View Post
    Sorry to hear that, but I'm with the quote "if it's too loud, your'e too old!"
    FWIW I have the twin pipes and it sounds too mellow, almost constricted.

Troy
    Are you running a 5.0 Coyote?