Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk me out of a GTM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    What are we calling the new Mustang GT500?
    Answer:...Fast!

https://youtu.be/OkZWEq262Mo

Post Thanks / Like
    Corvette after over 40 year decide to do mid engine one should wonder as why?

There is something about mid engine cars VS Muscle cars, not the same, GTM must be different than all the cars on the road, by just putting the mid engine FF where 99 percent there, now it looks like all the others, they should have worked on the challenges of the mid engine and fix the issues and make it easier to build instead of punting.

Front of a muscle car will never look the same as Mid engine front, they are just no the same, it is not just power for a lot of people, it is also the look.

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want us to talk you our of it, we can do that, or if you want us to talk you into it, we can do that too

I can only share my experience. I started working on cars in my dad's shop when I was 11, then he made me get another job when I was 16 so I could make more money. Through that time I learned how to do a lot of things all the way up to rebuilding engines. That's how we actually got our first cars. Customers would bring in cars that required more work than what they were worth to fix, so the kids bought them, did the work and bam we had our first cars. I always wanted to build a killer high horsepower car project with my dad, but unfortunately he passed away when I was in college.

Over the years, I never lost the desire to build a car, with his old tools that I now possessed, and was originally going to do the 33 Ford. I spend two years researching, but one rainy weekend I stumbled on the GTM and fell in love. It reminded me of the desire to build something totally off the wall with him and changed my mind to the GTM.

I'm two years into this project and I love it. It is a royal PITA, sure sometimes, but once I accomplish a task its very rewarding. I'm about to take delivery of my Mendeola Transaxle and I will officially have all the large pieces to make this happen.

I have an aerospace engineering background and was very fortunate on one real estate deal to do a high budget build. But it doesn't have to be that way. You can likely build one for $50K easily, just don't let the shiny stuff lead you astray. You can also learn all the body work and do that yourself as well. I've never wired a car from scratch, let alone build my own Mil-Spec engine wiring harness, and I'll be doing all the tuning myself from a blank canvas on an AEM Infinity ECU. These are the challenges I wanted to take on with this build and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Its really up to you. If you want to do it, just do it, if you don't, then don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad has a C5 Corvette in great shape that I can eventually pry away from him for a GTM build. I’ve done the maintenance on his C5 and can’t help but notice that as time goes on, parts get harder and harder to come by. I think the GTM is absolutely breathtaking and the builds here are inspirational to say the least. That being said, Factory Five has already signaled that the GTM, even if continued, may not be getting much attention moving forward. If parts are getting harder to find, the healthy donor pool is shrinking, and FFR intends to focus on other development projects, that makes it harder to commit to a build as challenging as the GTM. Seeing Ford vs Ferrari renewed my interest in the type 65, and then the stunning F9 concept reveal by FFR stole the show. I’d probably lean toward the F9 assuming it reaches production. That seems like a much more modern project with a juicy parts market to support it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost all supercar have mid or rear engine, so lets not call proposes new FFR a supercar. not in a supper car category if engine is in front in my view...

So if you want to build a supercar, do not wait for new one from FFR just by the GTM, just find a good deal, I am sure there are some of these seating around and almost untouched.

If you want a Muscle car, then wait for new FFR xxx. it will spin the wheels well for you and make lot of smoke but not supercar....

Mostafa

6. Likes rolfer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rolex 24 GTLM Class > Does Mid Engine Really Define A Super Car?

#1....BMW (Front Engine & Rolex 24 Repeat Winner)
    #2....Porsche 911 RS (Mid Engine Debut 2019)
    #3....Porsche 911 RS (Mid Engine Debut 2019)
    #4....Chevrolet Corvette (Mid Engine Debut 2020)

With this little tid-bit shared I can't wait to see the final product for the new Factory Five Super Car.
    I just hope they can do it with some sort of production door that can be re-skinned to have really well functioning windows & latches.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-28-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was actually Watching on Sunday.

Is it just about speed and winning for me it is also about the look of the car that makes a super or car or not, as I love BMW, but the BMW looks like sedan relative to most of the others.

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ford GT, and new corvette all have mid engine, sell for 100s of thousand of dollars and over a million on some cases and none will win the Rolex race but people still love them, so wining is not every thing.

Aston Martin Vulcan is one of very few that have so call Front Mid engine that still looks like a supper car, engine is almost inside the car.

Just my view!

Thanks,
    Mostafa

9. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Once the rush is over, the base model C/8 is priced at 60-K so I'm sure they'll have a tough time keeping up with the sales volume.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...te/1lt-pricing
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-28-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere that there are so many "supercars" that the term for the exotics now is "hyper car" ?

ToddOOOOO - how old is your son? I would estimate build times with his age as a major factor! Lets say the GTM does not go as fast as you would like, will he be in collage or moved away and you are still not quite finished?

I would consider the 818, they are fast and turn heads, also, how much car can he handle? Does a boy in high school get to drive a GTM to school?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KGTM View Post

Aston Martin Vulcan is one of very few that have so call Front Mid engine that still looks like a supper car, engine is almost inside the car.

Just my view!

Thanks,
    Mostafa
    Don't know if you are aware, but the current version of the F9 has the engine so far back you could almost fit another V8 between the engine and the radiator. I would say the front of the engine is around a foot back from the front axle centerline. Word is that the weight distribution is just about 50/50.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

13. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did not know it has 50/50 distribution, but know it is close.

I think for me it is also the look, Typical font engine cars just do not the slim look of rear engine, as the nose gets longer it gets worse.

May be new GTM-X should have been taken parts from the new corvette and build chassis around that for all those that want to build their own car with parts to come for years.

I just think there is something more special about Mid/rear engine cars, as only small percentage of cars on the road have that , so out the gate it make it more special.

Mostafa

15. Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mannnn...... I'm getting a good feeling about this new FFR model...! but Street version. I don't think I could handle the 747 wing and the ground effects.

I also thought that the wheels that they had on the SEMA chassis look great.

Elegant but Fast.

Stig

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    2 letters:

F9.

It will accept mustang parts, and the end result will be as exotic, if not more so.

Coming later this year from FFR!

Last edited by The Stig; 02-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12