Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build Wiki

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Build Wiki

Is this going to be a true wiki where anyone can add/edit material or is it going to be done by selected people?

I think a wiki has a real shot of organizing information so we dont end up with what we had/have at the other forums...that is a fairly broken faq section on build options and the related endless threads asking the same few questions over and over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that is why I asked for a FAQ section and I'd suggest an online type of build manual done by builders. I always like the Build a Roadster in 50 steps that we used to have as well. That was a long time ago but could be rebuilt. Especially seeing as the MK IV is out. There should be one for the '33, Coupe, and GTM as well as the new car coming out. I know it will be more than 50 steps but for the new people it is a good reference manual for planning purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a rookie getting ready to build this spring I'm very interested to see a Wiki style Wiki.

I have the electronic version of the build manual although I've only been through the donor dismantle section. I've read lots of posts regarding how the manual could be more thorough and I believe even the dismantle portion could be a step by step guide, with the tricks experienced guys have found.

There are kits in garages all over the world...sitting incomplete. Some of those could get on the road with step by step instructions, with detailed options.

Hell, if all this data was together in one place you could make a form with customization choices and it could populate a build manual for you specifically. It could even link to the FFR parts catalog and advertising vendors for required parts to complete mods!

I really believe that Factory Five has a chance to help out builders here while giving recognition to owners/builders for their own developments and customizations. I read in another post that the reason why the build manual is a loose guide rather than a definitive plan may be due to the possible liability of offering step by step instruction that might not be read correctly. A wiki would simply be a publication of submissions by builders, a do at your own risk set of options.

Since you are listening Dave, I'm not bad with a wrench, and although I spent years as a construction company owner and in High Tech development and management I'm a terrible project planner. If I had a great set of instructions in front of me I can follow them to a T. I would be able to finish my roadster to very close to perfection if simply given clear expectations. I pick up my car in April, and I'm man enough at 40 to say I'm afraid I'll half arse it without a guide...

Open up a Wiki. Let the public start to populate it. Use the Wiki model of certification. If it doesn't work...pull the plug on it, let the forum members know it could go. The feel I get from reading posts the past few months is that the FFR family will build a Wiki guide to be proud of, and I know it will help my build.

Cheers,
    Vic
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Admins...Dave...

This is the guy hoping you open up a wiki to help me get my build done.
    My newest daughter Charlotte is just 10 months old, she wasn't available for this shot.

Yep, I'm drawing on heart strings guys...5 daughters...some of my hair is still dark brown, but it's a losing battle.
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink A hero!

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaFFRer View Post
    Admins...Dave...

This is the guy hoping you open up a wiki to help me get my build done.
    My newest daughter Charlotte is just 10 months old, she wasn't available for this shot.

Yep, I'm drawing on heart strings guys...5 daughters...some of my hair is still dark brown, but it's a losing battle.
    God Bless you, sir! That's a lot of women in your house and you're keeping a smile! I'm sure it isn't too hard - you look like you're having a blast.

Helicopter Wrench-Bender ChopperJustin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a family! You can't go hijacking a thread with this mooshy gooshy stuff!!! (j/k) You're gonna get us all teary-eyed! Next thing you know we'll be hugging!
    "Gravity, It's The Law"

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, but back on topic... What exactly is a build Wiki? (Apologies for hiding under a rock) is it like mk4build dot com?
    "Gravity, It's The Law"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperJustin View Post
    OK, but back on topic... What exactly is a build Wiki? (Apologies for hiding under a rock) is it like mk4build dot com?
    It could be so much better than mk4build. It could be a custom build manual.

For an official definition of what a wiki is see:

Wikipedia

Generally a wiki is...like wikipedia a collection of articles about subjects that are freely created and edited by whoever is interested in writing or editing one.

In short, I could write an entry about installing my IRS rear end with picture and everything like a build log..someone else with maybe an english degree could come along later and correct my terrible grammar and maybe add to it. Yet another guy could come along and create an offshoot of my article with links to how he used willwood brakes and cobra sized rotors as apposed to my stock setup.

The main point being, no one person is responsible for maintaining it, so it never goes stangnant or gets put on the back burner. As new techniques are used or new mods invented, they can be added by anyone at any time forever.

In the end, you could conceivably go through the entire wiki picking what options you wanted and what mods you wanted to do to those options and have to search through endless forum threads.

Example..you could go to interiors and there could be a sub-category seats and you could click on Miata and find an article by someone who used donor miata seats with the speakers in the headrest and how he installed them. You could then do some research and find out that the article was deficient and only seats from say 02-07 miatas had the speakers (pulled those numbers out of my behind) and update the article to say which year seats to look for at the junk yard.

Basically there could be an article about every facet of building these cars. Every step, every mod, everything. It would be so easy to find information that it should stop all the repeat threads by people asking for basic information thats buried in mk4build or the faqs or some old thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the hijack...

Well defined RyanH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider me schooled. Thanks
    "Gravity, It's The Law"