Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk4 Roadster #7750 at 2015 Detroit Autorama: First Place Award

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Roadster #7750 at 2015 Detroit Autorama: First Place Award

This past weekend I took my newly completed Mk4 Roadster #7750 to the Detroit Autorama car show at Cobo Arena in downtown Detroit. This was the first public appearance for the new build and my second Autorama. I was very pleased to receive the first place trophy for the Homebuilt Sports class.

This is the trophy, slightly incomplete. A car statue that goes on the shelf for the first place awards was apparently delayed, so they are sending separately. Some assembly required I guess.

The event started for us on Wednesday with move-in, and waiting in the second longest car hauler line possible. The actual show was Friday through Sunday. I was there the entire time, most spent at my car talking with attendees, which I really enjoy. They didn’t announce attendance yet, but last year it was 170,000. There were people 4-5 deep by my car most of all three days. Many very positive comments about Factory Five, many questions about the build, numerous individuals who were either building or contemplating a build, and of course the multiple “Is it real?” inquiries. I was a little surprised how many people ask about cost, because I’m willing to bet most of the other 1,000 or so car owners weren’t asked those questions. But since much of what is there is unattainable by the average person, it’s probably natural they should ask to find out if it’s really possible for them. So I tried to see that as a positive. People were amazingly positive and complimentary about my car, and nearly everyone commented about the color. It really looked amazing. Thanks Rick (my painter) for suggesting it!

The Detroit Autorama, being the biggest, is also of course well known for the Ridler Award. The eight finalists were breathtaking, with a Chip Foose design winning this year, his fourth Ridler. It was fun seeing that award announced at the award ceremony. But it was a little funny because they do the Ridler award about halfway through all the various car class awards. By coincidence, the Homebuilt Sports class was the last one announced right before they announced the Ridler. So I was the last person on stage before that announcement, and can say that Chip Foose saw my car (they project them all on side screens as they are announced) and witnessed my award. I’m sure it was as memorable for him as it was for me.

Anyway, a long and exhausting weekend, and the first longest car hauler line possible for move-out. But a great ending receiving the award. Now just need the weather to warm up and the roads get all the salt washed off so I can get the new Roadster titled and driven.

Here is a slideshow, mostly of the Roadster from yesterday morning before all the spectators arrived. 2015 Detroit Autorama Slideshow by edwardb
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful build. Well deserved award.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Super nice! It shows well with the red paint and all that bling. Way to go, EdwardB!
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. She is a beauty. Nice job

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward-

Somehow it seems fitting that a home built award would have to be, well, home built.

Congratulations on a deserving award! Your build was excellent and the results speak for themselves. I hope spring arrives soon for you so you can get out and enjoy all your hard work!

Well done Sir.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward,
    Well deserved congratulations. Who is Paul, the owner?
    MK IV complete kit delivered August 21st, 2014. Ford Racing 427w with X heads. IRS. Upgraded Wilwoods, 6 piston front and 4 rear. Tremec t600 and Ram Dual clutch. Holley Terminator EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcww View Post
    Edward, Well deserved congratulations. Who is Paul, the owner?
    We are the same person. Edward is my middle name. Been using that as a screen name for years on multiple forums.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on winning the award. I know it makes you feel good to have your hard work recognized and appreciated!
    Mk 4 roadster #8495 delivered on 12-23-2014. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...r-Build-Thread Carbureted 4.6 SOHC, C-4 auto with manual valve body. Fox width rear with 2.73 gear. First start video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ie...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I was expecting at least one award for your car at this show! More will come... Cross the fingers for you for better weather soon and a nice spring for rock'n roll...
    Georg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Edward
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on a job well done!
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    First, thanks for all the kind comments. I had a blast with the build, fun sharing via the build thread, and a great weekend making its debut at the 2015 Detroit Autorama. I had so many positive comments and great responses from people that saw the car and talked to me about it, I kept telling myself no matter what happened with the awards all was good. But I have to say when I saw the pic of my car come up on the screen and the first place announced, I was pretty happy about it.

Anyway, last post on this topic from me, I promise! I was contacted by a reporter from Street Legal TV after the show who said he had seen my car at the show and wanted to do an article about it. After an exchange of information, he just let me know the article was posted on their website. Check it. Pretty cool write-up. Factory Five Cobra Wins "Best Hand Built Sports Car" In Detroit - Street Legal TV

And for those of you that don't know, that really is me he's talking about. As I mentioned in a previous post, Edward is my middle name. B my last initial. EdwardB has been my screen name for multiple forums, websites, eBay, etc. for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and most well deserved!
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice writeup on Street Legal, too.. great job and congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! What is the word I'm looking for here? I think it is...sensational!

I briefly considered heading down there this year (had not been to an Autorama in years), now I'm sorry I hadn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well deserved! Beautiful build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Coach !!! nice work... your attention to detail cant be beat. Absolutely beautiful.... and very gracious of you to offer the help you do on the forums. Somethings you cant put a price on. Thanks for your help when I asked. Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Obviously a well deserved award. Enjoy the sunshine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fordboy View Post
    Hey Coach !!! nice work... your attention to detail cant be beat. Absolutely beautiful.... and very gracious of you to offer the help you do on the forums. Somethings you cant put a price on. Thanks for your help when I asked. Bob.
    x2 on the above. Whenever I asked Edward a question I have always received a prompt and very thorough reply. My build is a mirror in many respects of what he did, but obviously not as meticulous.
    After a while using the forums you start to figure out who stands out as real experts. Not a slight on the other nice and helpful posters. Henry
    MK IV complete kit delivered August 21st, 2014. Ford Racing 427w with X heads. IRS. Upgraded Wilwoods, 6 piston front and 4 rear. Tremec t600 and Ram Dual clutch. Holley Terminator EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys again for the very generous comments. I've received lots of PM's from my build thread, and have enjoyed responding to them. I'm far from an expert, but happy to share my experience and what I've learned through two builds. I remember quite vividly the feeling when Mk3 #5125 showed up in my garage in October 2009 and I wondered what I had gotten myself into. Very grateful for all the people on both forums who have assisted me. Happy to pay forward what I've learned. For the new builders that have joined since then, welcome and enjoy the ride. I sure do.

Meanwhile, back in the real world... Today passed the 100 mile mark on the new Mk4. I'm still trying to decide whether to have it professionally tuned or bite the bullet and buy an AFR gauge and learn to tune it myself. But based on the odor, exhaust color, reading the plugs, and the gas gauge (!!!) the Quick Fuel SS-750 was way rich out of the box. Literature said it had 70's in the primary jets. Upon disassembly, turned out to be 72's. I've stepped down a few times and got to where it was clearly too lean, based on the plugs plus how it ran. Back to 68's in the primary. Getting into the swing of changing the jets pretty quickly now. Today had a very nice test run. It ran nice and crisp. A new plug in #1 looked just the way it should have after 30 miles. I've got 76's in the secondary, 8 up from the primary same as it came from Quick Fuel (72 and 80), and will leave it there for now. At this point, I'm not in the secondaries much. Before all of that, I did get the T-slots dialed in and the 4-corner idle mixture set using a vacuum gauge. It's idling at about 11-1/2 - 12 vacuum inches, so the 6.5 power valve seems close enough for now. There would be much more to check, and probably improve, with an AFR gauge. But for now it's running really well, and certainly not lacking for power. Letting the cruising season begin!
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-05-2015 at 07:29 AM.