BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seat Slider Options?

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Slider Options?

Part of the deal with my wife allowing me to build a Coupe was that she be able to drive it— small price to pay I guess...

Anyway, we've measured ourselves in the car, and it appears that we need around 5.5 inches of travel in the seat— I'm all the way as far back as the seat can go and she's 5.5 inches closer to the firewall. I've looked at the option provided by FFR, but I'm not crazy about it because it's single locking and it seems like it might not play nicely with the carpet. Also, I couldn't find what the travel distance was (does anybody have this handy?)

So I'm looking at other options and would love some ideas/inspiration. Here are the options I see available right now:

1. Seat booster pad. I like this idea, but my guess is that 5.5" is probably not safely possible?
    2. Find a standard dual-locking seat slider. I also like this idea, but they all seem like the lock bar is going to interfere with the carpet without some modification. Do you normally mount them on risers? Maybe I'm just over thinking it? Does anyone know of one that works well with the carpet and has at least 5.5" of travel?
    3. L-Track (airplane seating track: https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Truck...traps-Hardware). I have to admit I like this one the best. Seems low profile, strong, and versatile. I could see using a couple of these up front (https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Doubl...-w-Bolt-Thread) as a quick release mechanism. The cons of this setup are that those stud fittings seem to have a small amount play in them (I think it would still be safe, just annoying).

I don't care if it takes a minute or two to readjust the seat (as long as it can be done singlehandedly and without tools), so I'm open to options. I'm leaning towards #3 because it seems like there is a lot of room for different options, but any thoughts/ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. regarding the "all the way back as far as it can go"— it seems like the seat goes back another inch or so if you slightly angle it pointing towards the door. In fact the whole drivers side (including the steering wheel and pedals) appears to be slightly angled away from the centerline of the car. Am I crazy, or is that normal? Are other people mounting their drivers seats with a slight rotation (looking from above) to the left?
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 02-04-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    If I’m not mistaken you have a gen III so your seat choices are quite a bit wider then the gen II.
    Seat rails can be easily elevated off the carpet with a spacer/washers if needed. I would think there should be sliders that will conform to your needs.
    Ping EdwardB and see how much travel his seats have.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Part of the deal with my wife allowing me to build a Coupe was that she be able to drive it— small price to pay I guess...

Anyway, we've measured ourselves in the car, and it appears that we need around 5.5 inches of travel in the seat— I'm all the way as far back as the seat can go and she's 5.5 inches closer to the firewall. I've looked at the option provided by FFR, but I'm not crazy about it because it's single locking and it seems like it might not play nicely with the carpet. Also, I couldn't find what the travel distance was (does anybody have this handy?)

So I'm looking at other options and would love some ideas/inspiration. Here are the options I see available right now:

1. Seat booster pad. I like this idea, but my guess is that 5.5" is probably not safely possible?
    2. Find a standard dual-locking seat slider. I also like this idea, but they all seem like the lock bar is going to interfere with the carpet without some modification. Do you normally mount them on risers? Maybe I'm just over thinking it? Does anyone know of one that works well with the carpet and has at least 5.5" of travel?
    3. L-Track (airplane seating track: https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Truck...traps-Hardware). I have to admit I like this one the best. Seems low profile, strong, and versatile. I could see using a couple of these up front (https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Doubl...-w-Bolt-Thread) as a quick release mechanism. The cons of this setup are that those stud fittings seem to have a small amount play in them (I think it would still be safe, just annoying).

I don't care if it takes a minute or two to readjust the seat (as long as it can be done singlehandedly and without tools), so I'm open to options. I'm leaning towards #3 because it seems like there is a lot of room for different options, but any thoughts/ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. regarding the "all the way back as far as it can go"— it seems like the seat goes back another inch or so if you slightly angle it pointing towards the door. In fact the whole drivers side (including the steering wheel and pedals) appears to be slightly angled away from the centerline of the car. Am I crazy, or is that normal? Are other people mounting their drivers seats with a slight rotation (looking from above) to the left?
    I used a Sparco SRO-00493 Slider from Summit racing that seems to work fine!

I did use some spacers between the seat and the slider to tilt and raise the seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Corbeau makes dual locking universal seat brackets of varying heights. They are also designed for flat floor pans like in the coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Corbeau seats and their 1-inch tall C22059 single slider brackets. They have a very similar one that's double locking (both sides). Works great and bolts directly to the flat floor of the Coupe. I mounted them after the carpet was installed, and no interference at all. Not sure how these would work with brands other than Corbeau. But that's my experience. Seen in this picture from my build.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard of anybody having issues with the carpet, using the FFR slider in their roadster. Has this been an issue with the Daytona's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

What is the range of the slider, he needs 5.5”?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Paul,

What is the range of the slider, he needs 5.5”?

John
    I don't know to be honest. Unless Corbeau has it on a spec sheet somewhere. The seats I used and the position they're mounted I can only get 2-3 inches of range before the seats hit in the cockpit and don't go any further. More than enough for my intended use. No way to measure any further now that they're installed. Sorry.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Sparco slider can be bolted to the bottom of a Kirkey seat and will provide 10” of slide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the ideas!

My other concern is that I only have 2-3 inches before my head hits the roof so I'll need to figure that in as well. When you say you've had no problem mounting with carpet, are you just bolting it directly on top of the carpet? Or cutting notches in the carpet for it? Just seems like having carpet between the slides and the frame would cause a lot of mushiness (the carpet is pretty thick). I have the Kirkey seats and if you say the Sparco slider provides 10" of travel, I may give that a try.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Thanks all for the ideas!

My other concern is that I only have 2-3 inches before my head hits the roof so I'll need to figure that in as well. When you say you've had no problem mounting with carpet, are you just bolting it directly on top of the carpet? Or cutting notches in the carpet for it? Just seems like having carpet between the slides and the frame would cause a lot of mushiness (the carpet is pretty thick). I have the Kirkey seats and if you say the Sparco slider provides 10" of travel, I may give that a try.
    Yes, put the seats right down over the carpet. Plus whatever insulation you're using (within reason). If you're talking about the standard FFR carpet, it mashes down to nearly nothing. No concerns whatsoever with it being solid over the carpet. Whether sliders like my Coupe build or seats only like the Roadster builds, always over the carpet. Every build I've seen was the same way. Just not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay great. Good to know. Seems like I'm probably over-thinking it.
    Cheers,

--jim