FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ontario ownership

Post Thanks / Like

Ontario ownership

Hello Fellow Canadians

I have a Ontario ownership question that I think I know the answer to, but I thought I would ask it anyway. I have a chance to buy a 818C that is partially assembled. The only problem is it has no Ontario ownership, he only has the paperwork from Factory five and Transport Canada. It is my understanding that only the person who's name is on the paperwork can go through the process and apply for the ownership - is this correct?

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you posed that question to Ryan Valin?
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi FF33rod

Yes, I sent him an email. Waiting for a reply.

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone

After several day of trying, I was able to talk to a real person at the MTO main office yesterday. Basically they are saying (as I suspected) that only the original person who imported it into the Canada (the person who's name is on all of the FFR & TC documents) can go through the process and get the ownership. They also said it is possible to get an ownership for an incomplete car. It would be listed as a unfit vehicle on the ownership. Once the car was completed and inspected, the unfit status would be removed.

I have been emailing the person selling the car and the latest bit of information he told me is that he is not the person who originally purchased the kit from FFR, it was someone in Saskatchewan who sold it for health reasons. I think I am going to pass on this one, too many potential problem with getting it registered.

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience in registering 2 "kitcars" in the past (in Ontario) is that the people in the licensing offices don't know much about the process for registering these cars. If you go in with the more-or-less proper paperwork, tell them what the process is, they will register the car. I find it hard to believe that you were told by the MTO that only the original importer can register the car; I don't see anything like that in the information on their website. But the second part of what you state, ownership for incomplete car, is the same as registering any car that is bought as unfit, so there should be no issue with that. Get the ownership in your name for the "unfit" vehicle, and when it is finished and the safety check has been done, go back to the license office and get it changed to "fit". The way you've stated it sounds like that is an alternate way to get the car registered, or was that in addition to being the original importer?

Someone once told me that if you are being given a hard time at a licensing office with trying to register a car, just go to a different office and try again. There is some truth in that.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    I did end up buying that car (assuming it was the same one you were describing). Bought and partially built by a guy out west, then sold to a guy in Mississauga who decided he didn't want to finish it, so I bought it. The build quality so far seems very good and there was certainly a lot spent in optional parts when he ordered it, and after). I haven't tried registering it yet; not keen to stand in line at the license office for an hour these Corona-days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi FFRWRX

Please let me know how the registration works out when you get that far, I would be interested to know what you needed to make the MTO happy.

If it would have been a Type 65, I would have gone for it for sure. The 818 would be #2 on the list for me (even though I do own 2 Subaru's).

With all that is happening at the moment and the really bad exchange rate, I don't think I will be purchasing one for a while - unless FFR has a super sale when they are able to get back to work.

Thanks John