FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Tire advice-Anyone Running Toyo r888r or Nitto Nt555r tires

Post Thanks / Like

Tire advice-Anyone Running Toyo r888r or Nitto Nt555r tires

I’m looking to replace my BF Goodrich G Force T/A’s with either a set of Toyo R888R or Nitto NT555G2 (front) and NT555R (rear). I’m also considering a set of Nitto NT01’s, from what I gather are similar to the Toyo R888R. I am running a no fender set up so I do have some concern that the soft compounds will kick up even more rocks than the crusty tires I have now. Tire size would be 255x40-17 in the front and 305x35-18 in the rear. If anyone is running either of these tires I would appreciate any input you have or if anyone has had good experiences with a different tire. Thx-Dave

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran the Toyo R888 on mine for a short time. They are very sticky tires and provide great grip on the road. But as you suspect, will throw gravel. I didn't find it nearly a problem on the body as a glancing blow has little energy, but without front fenders it did chip the leading edge of the rear fenders. If you run with no fenders and you are building a driver, you should be OK. A driver will always get some road dings no matter what tires you run.

And if you live close enough to pick them up, I'll give you a great deal on a set of lightly used Toyo R888 tires mounted on wheels. If you click on my album link below you'll find photos with them on my car. They are actually stickier than my DOT drag slicks and hook hard on launch and my car corners like on rails when I run them. Just don't expect 50,000 miles out of a set.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    The Toyo R888R superseded the 888R two or three years ago. I put a set on my roadster to replace the Nitto NT-01s that I'd run the previous couple of seasons. The two tires are very similar in performance and characteristics; the stick like a cat on carpet in the warm and dry, do not do well at all in cool or wet and will toss sand and gravel. I got approximately 5,000 miles out of the NT-01s and expect the R888R to be similar. The Nitto 555G2 is an entirely different class of tire---primarily a street cruiser with a somewhat lower performance threshold which will tolerate cool and wet and will last much longer. I'm not a fan of mixing drag radials and conventionals like you'd have with a 555G2 front and 555R combination. The soft and squishy sidewalls on the drag radials can result in some undesirable cornering characteristics. I autocrossed a friends Mk4 with them and it was something of a disaster---the tread sticks to the ground but the car moves all around on the squirmy, compliant sidewalls kinda' like what you'd get on an tall underinflated 15' tire! You have one other option that kind of falls in the middle; the Nitto NT-05. It's a higher performing tire than the 555G2 but not as extreme as the R-Compound R888R or NT-01. They can handle cool and wet (within reason and prudence) and will last much longer than the 01 or 888.

Jeff

4. Thanks GoDadGo, DaveT01 thanked for this post
    Likes Olli liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The Nitto NT-05. It's a higher performing tire than the 555G2 but not as extreme as the R-Compound R888R or NT-01. They can handle cool and wet (within reason and prudence) and will last much longer than the 01 or 888.

Jeff
    Jeff,

Thanks For This Tire Tidbit!
    Might be a second set of wheels at Camp Go-Dad down the road with some slightly stickier tires that can do quadruple duty.
    Street, Strip, Auto Crossing & Light Track Days.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran a set of 555R's on the rear of a 427 powered 32 I had, no curve chasing just occasional stop light romp, they were ok for this but in my 33 I am running a set of Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S's which I sense give me better traction. I run them at 28psi on the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamp View Post
    I ran a set of 555R's on the rear of a 427 powered 32 I had, no curve chasing just occasional stop light romp, they were ok for this but in my 33 I am running a set of Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S's which I sense give me better traction. I run them at 28psi on the street.
    Kamp,

I've seen these tires, and dig them. I'm curious to know which sizes you went with?!? Larger in the rear?

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger, for street tires on my hot rod I’m currently running M/T Sportsman S/R 26x6-R17 on the front and M/T ET Street S/S DOT 29x18.00-R15LT drag tires on the rear. This has an old-school hot rod look with the skinny fronts and 18” wide rear tires. The rears hook good on the street and with 15 PSI give a good ride considering what the car is designed for. And the 15” Weld Racing forged wheels clear the large 12.19” rear brakes I have.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, here's what those Toyo Proxies look like on a hot rod:Toyo Tires.jpgToyo Tires.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be a full fendered car, though at this point only have the rear fenders on. Back tires are the MT P275/50/15 and the fronts are Goodyear 205/65/15. I went with the 15" rims because I like the look of the higher sidewalls and think they may ride a bit better.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Nittos are sticky, but only after heating them up. The R888 are a nice tire, they threw more rocks up when I ran them. I will say they are completely two different tires. I personally think the Toyo tires are a better all around tire with great traction. They are very noisy though. I’ve been caught in the rain with both and the Toyo did better.