FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: gen 3 inner fenders

Post Thanks / Like

gen 3 inner fenders

looking for advice the gen 3 manual dies not give much detail on front inner wheel well splash guard
    it looks to me that i could screw it to the fiberglass flange that is under hood without using rubber
    what have others done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Assume you're talking about the front upper splash panels that go on the underside of the hood. The manual shows using bulb seal only on the curved section where it pushes against the outside curve of the body. Also says to use silicone RTV there. But I didn't find that necessary because it wedges very tightly between the wheel well lip and the flange that's on the inner shell. Then it says to rivet the smaller section that goes forward to the inner shell flange. Which I did.

I personally added more bulb seal. I added a piece along the bottom of the section that goes forward. Found that it sealed things a little better. Comes down in the area of the hood strut. I also added bulb seal on the two sides that match up with the lower splash guard. Helps to seal things up better there too.

I don't have any specific pictures. But was able to crop this picture showing only those areas, and change the contrast enough that things are visible. Hope that helps a little. I guess the main message is install it so it does the best job of closing things up. Also, I powder coated mine and also added undercoat (UPOL Rapter like I used everywhere else) on the side that faces the tires.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-26-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Assume you're talking about the front upper splash panels that go on the underside of the hood. The manual shows using bulb seal only on the curved section where it pushes against the outside curve of the body. Also says to use silicone RTV there. But I didn't find that necessary because it wedges very tightly between the wheel well lip and the flange that's on the inner shell. Then it says to rivet the smaller section that goes forward to the inner shell flange. Which I did.

I personally added more bulb seal. I added a piece along the bottom of the section that goes forward. Found that it sealed things a little better. Comes down in the area of the hood strut. I also added bulb seal on the two sides that match up with the lower splash guard. Helps to seal things up better there too.

I don't have any specific pictures. But was able to crop this picture showing only those areas, and change the contrast enough that things are visible. Hope that helps a little. I guess the main message is install it so it does the best job of closing things up. Also, I powder coated mine and also added undercoat (UPOL Rapter like I used everywhere else) on the side that faces the tires.

did you fit yours to the outside of lip under hood or to inside ? looks like i could just use no bulb seal and just mount to flanges that are fiberglassed under hood ?maybe im missing somthing ? are yours behind lip at wheel well or in front
    as walways thanks for advise

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted mine without bulb seal to the outside of the flange. I have bulb seal betwen the upper and lower inner fenders
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    I mounted mine without bulb seal to the outside of the flange. I have bulb seal betwen the upper and lower inner fenders
    David W
    i did see a picture of yours but couldnt tell for sure but that looks like best plan .did you have to trim yours any? mine looks like its not going to fit in that section without trimming

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
    did you fit yours to the outside of lip under hood or to inside ? looks like i could just use no bulb seal and just mount to flanges that are fiberglassed under hood ?maybe im missing somthing ? are yours behind lip at wheel well or in front
    as walways thanks for advise
    It's intended to go between the wheel well lip and the flange (as I mentioned before) at the bottom corner. And then on the outside of the underhood flange going forward. There's no other way for it to go in without cutting something. I guess you could rivet the curved section to the flange instead of using bulb seal per the instructions. Not sure what the advantage would be but can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    the inner fenders fit with no trimming and I put them in with rivets all the way around the curved section. Bulb seal just between the upper and lower.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019