Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: PLEASE READ: Community, and the 818 forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exclamation PLEASE READ: Community, and the 818 forum

I took this from Wikipedia, which surprisingly, is quite accurate as it relates to our forum:

------------

Community:

a group of interacting people, possibly living in close proximity, and often refers to a group that shares some common values, and is attributed with social cohesion within a shared geographical location, generally in social units larger than a household. The word can also refer to the national community or international community

The word "community" is derived from the Old French communité which is derived from the Latin communitas (cum, "with/together" + munus, "gift"), a broad term for fellowship or organized society.

------------

We are a group that is dispersed thruout the world. Some of us are experts at mechanics and design, some of us are complete novices, most of us are in between. But we all have at least one thing in common: A shared interest in Factory Five and their products.

In coming up with the charter for this site, there were a few key words that drove our thinking. Community, and respect. At TheFactoryFiveForum.com, one cannot exist without the other. We cannot act condescending toward those of us who are less experienced, at the same time, we must respect the fact that there are those here with more experience than ourselves. If the experts don't respect the newbies for their desire to learn something new, they are no better than those who lash out because they feel belittled. It's the same if you are new to the world of mechanics and design; you have to realize that your questions can be quite basic, and every once in a while someone gets tired of basic questions. However, that is not an excuse for not treating each other with MUTUAL respect. We cannnot grow as a community if MUTUAL respect isn't one of the pillars the community is based on. We have to understand that mentorship is not the same thing as patronization, and that as a community, the teachers cannot survive without the students, and vice-versa.

We must INSIST that you treat each other with respect. The 818 forum has been lacking in this since it's inception, and it MUST change. In the interest of promoting community and mutual respect, we will dole out infractions as needed going forward, and if we feel that the community is better served without certain members due to either passive aggressive or condescending attitudes, we will make the hard decisions in the interest of the community and move forward.

Thanks for reading,

TheFactoryFiveForum.com moderators

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

2. Thanks stevenjmeyer thanked for this post
    Likes stevenjmeyer liked this post
    Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you David, One of the reasons I always enjoyed the FFCars site was the lack of petty bickering and name calling so prevalent on other forums. I hope this forum can follow suit.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure if it is the best place to post feed back but after watching Dave Smith video on the 818 project I would personaly go for the high mileage version since the US market is poor in that regard, times are rough, and people on the budget are not looking for 16mpg answers. I would very much see "my" 818 fitted with a VW diesel engine with 5spd tranny which considering the other tech data would probably deliver a very promising 60mpg combine use.....I can't hardly wait. keep up the good work. Gil

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said and agree with you David. the 818 threads have been pretty virulent ... I guess it is what passion brings when it goes to the extreme.
    I kind of gave up on those threads because of theirs bad vibes and conflicts.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I wish everyone would be more respectful.

Post Thanks / Like
    David, we really need a like button
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like common courtesy to me. The link is pretty fun to read too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree David. Glad you are keeping an eye on this. No one likes to be belittled because of their lack of experience. I hope those who are offending get the message and straighten up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the 818 kit ready for purchase? I read about guys tearing down the donor cars but thought kit was not out yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    CarbonTuner, welcome to the forum. The 818 is not yet available. We are all waiting for SEMA to catch a glimpse of the new 818 that should be available sometime around the first of the year. FFR has provided a list of items needed and folks who are committed are already tearing down donors. Here is a link to the FFR site with the list of needed items off the donor:

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/proj...what-you-need/

Hope That Helps (HTH),

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Read through the OP and can't wait for more info to be released at SEMA

Post Thanks / Like
    Newbe...Will the 818 have any tops and windows available???

Post Thanks / Like
    An optional top for the 818S has been promised by FFR to be available at or soon after production launch. However, it will have side curtains rather than windows. It is possible that later iterations of the 818 may have more sophisticated top and window systems ----- but that is speculation at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bringing this back to the top. IMO the "ugly stick" thread title was insulting and troll-ish. It has been closed.

Posts that insult the membership as a whole, Factory Five or individuals will be moderated more aggressively in the future.

Opinions are always welcome. Mature discussions are the hallmark of a vibrant forum. Petulant, demeaning or insulting posts - and those who make them - cannot be tolerated. The mods can and must do a better job of dealing with those issues in the future. We want to foster and encourage our community based on respect for one-another and Factory Five. We are sure that this is your desire too. So we will do our part to build that environment. You can do your part too by reporting any posts that you think violate the spirit of this site. There is an icon on the bottom of every post that you can click to report it to the mods. It is the triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. Please help us keep the spirit of community on this forum by reporting posts that go against our charter.

Thanks for reading, and being a part of the Factory Five Community!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking care of that David.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here here brother. Way to put the foot down with poignant articulation. A true moderator.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup..needed to be closed a few days ago...I was going to close it myself if it didn't happen by Friday...less than a productive thread...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said, David.

Our yellow lab Sunny is the sweetest dog you could imagine. Yet every once in great while I need to be the Alpha in the pack and reminder her of our home's behavioral bounderies.

Da Bear

Sunny at Yosemite.jpg
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

Post Thanks / Like
    MY WIFE SAID YES, to an 818R/S, for our second car for our Florida house. We are international teachers and make it home for summer. We have a house in Tennessee, which has some incredible back roads. I used to race motorcycles and still have a vintage air cooled 1989 "BIG POPPA" 1458cc Yosh. Suzuki. And a TL1000R (try's to kill me every time I ride it). So when she heard my new project had 4WHEELS, she was ecstatic.
    KDJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading the 818 forum now since I placed my order in November.
    I have to say that I have been really impressed by the respect and professionalism of almost every single post (with one exception - that most of you acknowledged).
    I am eagerly awaiting my kit, due in May 2014. I am cleaning and organizing my garage..... buying tools, reading build threads.
    I know that I will benefit from the work done by those before me, and I hope I can help those who follow.
    Thanks guys....looking forward to a great build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the fray...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's been a couple of years now since I started this thread and I must say, I'm very impressed with how the 818 community has come together. It was a little bit like the wild west during the design competition but now that over 100 818's have been built by the factory, all the wild speculation and theories have given way to great support for each other as we build our dream cars.

I'm hoping to get in line for my own 818 soon and will have a lot more to do than just administer the site! The great news is, I don't have to keep as close an eye on things as I did in the beginning.

It's great to have so many great folks on the forum now!

Post Thanks / Like
    David well said. I find this forum most effective and valuable to both FFR and me, when we are all learning things together that we probably would not be learning alone. I have found the people I interacted with to be very responsive and giving of there time to help me. Perhaps I just tune out the conversations that are not motivated to be learnings and discoveries to be shared. But thanks for your oversight and focus.

BTW, is there a current thread that provides known business that are capable of providing services to 818 customers:
    As an example: There is AWJ and the list of what they provide. There is VCP and what Wayne contributes. Adam at Somerset Subaru. What other regional sites are there that have been performance tested and vetted? RalliSpec? Cosworth? AndrewTec? Outfront Motors? Speed Tuned of GA? Where are the talented engine builders, tuners both Cobb and Stand alone? Transmission rebuilders? Harness creators? etc. Or, have I just missed it?

I do see the vendor section but I have not found something that has been community generated because of someone's direct interactions other than the known exceptional ones like VCP, and AWJ. Forgive me if I have overlooked some obvious ready now players.

Thanks for you help with this, BC

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point BC.
    I've seen Wayne's thread and the products he offers. Like many others on this forum, my list grows everytime Wayne offers something new. I've got wheels, shifter, and the rear link on my list so far.
    I'd like to see what other related products are out there that I may have missed, or vendors I could use. I may have missed it but is there a place for all these links?

Thanks, Harley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    It's been a couple of years now since I started this thread............................................ .................................................. ...
    The great news is, I don't have to keep as close an eye on things as I did in the beginning.
    You heard him folks, time to party!
    Frank