Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: muffler question

Post Thanks / Like

muffler question

I attended the build school in Feb 2020 for the 33; videoed the end result, my wife thinks it's too loud. Has anyone put another type of muffler to reduce the sound on their build?
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Many builders have used Magnaflow or Borla mufflers for better sound reduction in the cabin but loud out the pipes. (Verify these part numbers - this is old data I had saved and may no longer be accurate) Magnaflow 11255 (11365 alt., but 2” shorter) or Flowmaster 842442 mufflers (nice rumbly sound) that fit '33, or SLP Performance 31065 2 ¼” inlet & outlet 4”h x 9.75”w x 13”L, but check inlet/outlet sizes & offset or 14362 or maybe 14325. Walker 41956 extensions fit if need to fill gaps. Another builder recommended the Flowmaster 40-series delta flow product line.

Or, you could go completely off the reservation and use a muffler from a Cadillac CTS-V (lots of welding and fabrication required):20190607_165058.jpg Still a work in progress, but you get the idea.

HTH, Keith HR #894

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too loud? You sound like my dad when I was in High School. Ear plugs are cheap.

OK, so I did put mufflers on my car -- just quiet enough so I don't get pulled over. But don't listen to me -- I do wear ear plugs when I drive mine as between the low back pressure baffles and solid motor mounts it is loud inside the cockpit.

Longer pipes and multiple mufflers may give you what you're looking for. When the exhaust exits farther to the rear it helps lower the noise in the cockpit. And the bigger / longer the muffler chambers are the more it will slow the exhaust velocity and dampen the sound.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

4. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I added resonators infront of the rear axel. It makes a real nice mellow tone. 12" long made of stainless, perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too loud? It is a hot rod. Mine has a little bark but not bad. Try driving a Daytona Coupe after it has 1000 + miles! I had a state cop tell me it was "a menance to society" and if he saw me again he would impound the vehicle. My 33 has the rear exhaust which softens the noise. I'd recommend driving it first (not just in the garage) and then if unacceptable try some of the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am able to run down the road at 80mph with the top on (FFR Kit Rear Duals) playing the radio and still listen enjoyably. I find the wind noise and road noise to be more of an annoyance than the exhaust. You may want to build it then make mods to exhaust if and when needed.

HTH
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    I had a state cop tell me it was "a menance to society" and if he saw me again he would impound the vehicle.
    WOW! A little harsh..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    The MA State Police can be a tough crowd to deal with at times.
    I'd always be careful when heading down the Cape going around the Bourne rotary where they're located.
    My wife thinks the 33 and my BMW need mufflers, I keep telling her they have them.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worse problem is they can hear you a long way off. Here is how it sounds to the LEO's, 8 seconds in

11. Thanks RoadRacer, Ty's33 thanked for this post
    Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! Music to my ears. Just the right bark.:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody has Copywrited that tune yet either

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone tried putting side pipes from the cobra roadster on a 33 hot rod?? like to see what they look and sound like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lwkinderknecht View Post
    anyone tried putting side pipes from the cobra roadster on a 33 hot rod?? like to see what they look and sound like.
    I explored it, but with the doors extending down so far by the time you hang the side pipes beneath them you are going to have very limited ground clearance. would probably look cool but not be very practical

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, just curious.