Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body and paint help. Eastern Utah

Post Thanks / Like

Body and paint help. Eastern Utah

Hey everyone I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a kit. I’ll detail my build below. So I’m a younger guy located in Eastern Utah in a small town. I have limited knowledge and experience with cars, but I’m interested in learning. I figured this would be a great path to learn. I am running into an issue with the fiberglass and paint work. I have received 3 quotes, all around $15k to do the work. This is more than I had budgeted. So I’m now debating on getting a Factory Fiver builder to do a roller for me and I drop in the engine and transmission.

What would you suggest be my best route? I am looking for any resources or advice at this point. I definitely don’t want to cut corners on the body and paint portion. The small town definitely makes it a challenge ha.

Feel free to give and critique or advice on my suggested build:
    MKIV
    Painted chassis
    Coyote Gen 2 ford performance
    TKO600
    IRS
    Willwood front brakes
    Mustang rear brakes
    Power steering
    Hydraulic clutch
    31 spline driveshaft
    Leather seats
    GPS gauges
    18” wheels
    Front sway bar
    Rear sway bar
    Battery cut off switch
    EFI fuel system

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff Miller in Temecula, CA does the body/paint with stripes for quite a bit less than that and is one of the best in the business. Jeff Kliener is in Indiana. There is a another guy in northern CA, but I don't know his name.

I brought mine to Miller on a trailer, left the fiberglass, went back three months later and put it back together.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    The other in CA is Ken Pike in Yuba City. https://streetrodpainter.com/home. I'd trailer or have shipped to either CA location. Not only because it will likely be a bit cheaper but also because they've done so many of these and know what to do. Local shops will tackle it. For a price and will learn on your dime. Just happen to know that.

Separate off topic note: You list a Gen 2 Coyote. Planning on a donor? New ones are in short supply and mainly not available. Have been out of production for several years now. New is likely going to be a Gen 3.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect I’ll look into both of them. Are you able to just leave the fiberglass or would they need the car to check fitment?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll definitely contact him. So I have a gen to planned with a builder. I’m having a builder help me and using his garage. He told me he can get a gen 2 new. Would you recommend a gen 3? Thanks for pointing that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfunk View Post
    Perfect I’ll look into both of them. Are you able to just leave the fiberglass or would they need the car to check fitment?
    They need the whole car to fit the body to the chassis, hang the doors, hood, trunk lid (they attach to the chassis, not the body), gap, do body work, etc. Then remove for painting (usually) and re-install. Check to confirm, but 99% sure the quotes you would receive from Jeff Miller or Ken Pike include all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfunk View Post
    I’ll definitely contact him. So I have a gen to planned with a builder. I’m having a builder help me and using his garage. He told me he can get a gen 2 new. Would you recommend a gen 3? Thanks for pointing that out.
    All I can say is the Gen 2's are not in production and most suppliers don't have any left. Ford Performance certainly doesn't. If your buddy has one stashed somewhere or knows where one is, OK. But if you're expecting to go searching and find one, good luck. The Gen 3 is more powerful and more available since it's a current production engine. It is more expensive, the engine cover needs help to look acceptable, and a custom tune is mandatory. I've built with both. The Gen 2's ran much better with a custom tune, but could be run without. Not true with the Gen 3 once you don't use the stock cold air intake. Which doesn't fit in our builds. Installation is nearly exactly the same between the two.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.