FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hatch Glass install-small problem

Post Thanks / Like

Hatch Glass install-small problem

Hi Everyone.

So i began installing my hatch yesterday. The glass quality is truly amazing. perfect fit.

installed the hangers and the mounts for the glass struts.

So i received both styles of strut mounts. Collars and same style as Cowl hood.

I setup the collars at 7 inches as per assembly manual. Hatch opens only 12 inches at the latch area in the 7 inch measurement. others have this problem? Did you move the collar up or down an inch.

Nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit only came with strut mounts like the hood pieces. Not the collar type. Mine also came with 18-inch gas struts (opened) and if attached down on the roll bar at the 7-inch mark, I'm guessing it wouldn't open very far either. Mine opens about 30 inches. Right at eye level. Just looking at the pictures in the manual, looks like the collar version has longer struts than I do. Maybe that's your problem? You may need to use the mounts on the lip of the body like the hood. They work fine. Mine is visible in this video: https://youtu.be/w2pLNjTEJOM?t=174.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-06-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    My kit only came with strut mounts like the hood pieces. Not the collar type. Mine also came with 18-inch gas struts (opened) and if attached down on the roll bar at the 7-inch mark, I'm guessing it wouldn't open very far either. Mine opens about 30 inches. Right at eye level. Just looking at the pictures in the manual, looks like the collar version has longer struts than I do. Maybe that's you problem? You may need to use the mounts on the lip of the body like the hood. They work fine. Mine is visible in this video: https://youtu.be/w2pLNjTEJOM?t=174.

Your right Paul, struts are like yours. 18 in. They are not long enough. Damn. will have to change to the hood peaces or buy longer struts

Nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    So, i did some measurement and moved the roll cage collar to the 10" Mark using the 18 inch struts.

It game me an opening of 24 inches on the nose. Im gonna leave it for now. See if that will do.

Nelson

hatch 3.jpg
    hatch 2.jpg
    hatch1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 18 inch struts and the collers like you have. I have mine set to open about 20 inches. I was worried the strut would come off the ball on the hatch end with the angle so I did not make it open higher.
    The instructions are not correct. I found the hood strut instructions were off as well.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019