Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: In-tank EFI Pump

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In-tank EFI Pump

I have a BluePrint Ford 306 with a Holly Sniper EFI system. The instructions state to put the in-line (included?) as close as possible to the tank. I have heard/read that I may want/need an in-tank pump.

Question: Do I need/should I install an in-tank pump? How about a fuel pressure regulator?...or is that only for higher h.p. engines? How about a fuel pressure gauge?

Confused but learning,
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sbc 383 blueprint with Sniper. I went with in tank pump just to keep the clutter down and make a little quieter. The Sniper has a built in regulator so no need for external. I put a gauge right at the fuel inlet on the Sniper just so I would have a means to trouble shoot and monitor. It has proven to be useful already. Make sure to use the Sniper wiring to power the pump. I tapped the large blue into the FFR wiring harness to the pump. If you go direct to the FFR wiring your pump says on all the time with key on, were as with the EFI wiring it monitors the need and shuts down when not needed. Also affects the log data if you have problems.

Hope that helps
    Bruce

3. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Likes FLFrank35 liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rock Autp has some great 94 mustang in tank pump setups that work well with the FFR supplied tank. here is what I used.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...34188&jsn=2096

5. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a dart 347 with a fi tech , in tank pump. No regulator needed the fi tech controls fuel psi. From what I researched and asking mike forte the in tank pump is Always The first option. Rob.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

7. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the excellent posts!

Since doing my initial inventory after the delivery last August, I reopened my fuel tank box the other day and got the parts out for the install. I didn't see any of the EFI parts from BluePrint nor did I notice the separate parts list for EFI from FFR. I went on a work trip and brought the EFI manuals and documents I did find. After some reading and on-line research while on the road, I got home and did some digging and rechecked...I DO have an in-tank pump, regulator and pressure gauge that were apparently in one of the many boxes delivered with the kit.

I really appreciate the responses/recommendations...you guys filled in the answers I needed and provided some great tips/resources! I feel more confident about how to proceed now.

Thanks again!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Frank. Sounds like your new to the Sniper EFI like I was so thought I'd pass on some info so you don't make same mistakes I did. Turns out this thing dose not really learn and adjust itself until the vehicle is actually in motion. I assumed it would learn as soon as it reached the 160 degrees and the handheld says its learning. Not so. I had the motor in and running long before I had the chassis in go cart stage. So while starting and running up to temp to verify operation of fan, heater, cooling, ac, et I kept starting it and running at idle. And of course just starting to hear it every now and then It dose not like that! Ran extremely rich, went through a couple sets of plugs and had some other intermittent issues. Some issues I had I'm not sure were related to that but ended up having to send in to Holley. Once it came back I did not start until I could actually drive the chassis. luckily I have some property and was able to do laps in the back pasture. Once I did that it made the mixture corrections and all works fine now. Thought I had more issues cause the pump kept shutting off but turned out to be bad connector at the pump.

So in short. Try not to run to much until you can actually get it moving!

10. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks bnelson...Good to know! I heard from somebody that it learns as it's driven about the 1st dozen times, but like you, I would not have thought starting it occasionally would screw it up. I'm sure I'll be tempted to start it as soon as possible, but after hearing your story I'll definitely wait until I can drive it.

Thanks for the education!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sniper/fuel pump wiring...just to be clear

Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I have sbc 383 blueprint with Sniper. I went with in tank pump just to keep the clutter down and make a little quieter. The Sniper has a built in regulator so no need for external. I put a gauge right at the fuel inlet on the Sniper just so I would have a means to trouble shoot and monitor. It has proven to be useful already. Make sure to use the Sniper wiring to power the pump. I tapped the large blue into the FFR wiring harness to the pump. If you go direct to the FFR wiring your pump says on all the time with key on, were as with the EFI wiring it monitors the need and shuts down when not needed. Also affects the log data if you have problems.

Hope that helps
    Bruce
    Yes that helped, but I have begun the wiring and am getting confused with some of it.
    With regard to the fuel pump wiring, so that I understand you correctly, when you "tapped the large blue into the FFR wiring harness," do you mean that you spliced it to the FFR fuel pump power wire in the harness so the pump is getting dual power (from the fuse panel as well as from the EFI) and is on all the time, with the key on?

Thanks,
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLFrank35 View Post
    Yes that helped, but I have begun the wiring and am getting confused with some of it.
    With regard to the fuel pump wiring, so that I understand you correctly, when you "tapped the large blue into the FFR wiring harness," do you mean that you spliced it to the FFR fuel pump power wire in the harness so the pump is getting dual power (from the fuse panel as well as from the EFI) and is on all the time, with the key on?

Thanks,
    Frank
    No. I simply cut that wire in the harness and connected the Sniper blue wire to the end going to the fuel pump. Just to save having to run new wire and to utilize the harness wire that already has the fuel pump connector on it. I then used the wire from the fuse panel to connect to trans control which requires a key-on/crank supply.

PS: The sniper has a safety mechanism built into it so do not need to go through inertia switch. I just eliminated that when I used that circuit for the trans control.

Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No. I simply cut that wire in the harness and connected the Sniper blue wire to the end going to the fuel pump. Just to save having to run new wire and to utilize the harness wire that already has the fuel pump connector on it. I then used the wire from the fuse panel to connect to trans control which requires a key-on/crank supply.

PS: The sniper has a safety mechanism built into it so do not need to go through inertia switch. I just eliminated that when I used that circuit for the trans control.

Hope that helps

Oh, ok! I misunderstood. I think I got it now. And good use of the wire for the trans control. Haven't started on that yet, but since you mentioned it...I installed a trans oil cooler (as suggested by Wallace18) and I think it needs a key-on power supply. You think I can piggyback the fan control and the trans control power to the same supply?

Thanks,
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, ok! I misunderstood. I think I got it now. And good use of the wire for the trans control. Haven't started on that yet, but since you mentioned it...I installed a trans oil cooler (as suggested by Wallace18) and I think it needs a key-on power supply. You think I can piggyback the fan control and the trans control power to the same supply?

Thanks,
    Frank
    I would think. I don't think that trans control has much of a demand. I'd check with whomever trans control you are using. Your trans control may have wiring to support the fan in its harness and activate as temperatures dictate??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would think. I don't think that trans control has much of a demand. I'd check with whomever trans control you are using. Your trans control may have wiring to support the fan in its harness and activate as temperatures dictate??
    Thanks! Sounds right.

And speaking of the trans control...I have the MSD transmission control module. It has 2 connectors with a bunch of wires and not clear enough instructions for my limited level of experience. I searched the web but haven't found anything helpful.

Have any experience with that? Any better resource on how to wire it?

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Sounds right.

And speaking of the trans control...I have the MSD transmission control module. It has 2 connectors with a bunch of wires and not clear enough instructions for my limited level of experience. I searched the web but haven't found anything helpful.

Have any experience with that? Any better resource on how to wire it?

Frank
    I also was totally new to electronic transmissions. Give me a rock crusher any day! I went with the TCI EZTCU. It was supper easy to set up and a whole bunch of YouTube videos out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!