Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Validation question on my roller

Post Thanks / Like

Validation question on my roller

Making good progress, brakes bled with a nice firm pedal, just dropped to the ground for the first time and am somewhat surprised with how much effort it takes to push the car around, the tightness is in the rear end, I presume that is simply the nature of these cars, but i can push my GT500 at 4000 lbs when in neutral with ease...normal?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the wheels all turn freely when the car is in the air, think rolling resistance and toe in at this point. If things don't move freely with no weight, double check brake installation.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Something isn't right. I can push mine around the garage in neutral with ease. No reason for these cars to be any different than any other. If your alignment is way off, could see that affecting it I guess. But it would have to look really wonky IMO. Sounds like you maybe have brakes dragging. Just a guess though.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, let's back up to the Moser rear end straight out of the crate, hand turning the input shaft was all but impossible, hand turning the axles was doable with both hands and significant effort, does that seem normal/abnormal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yahrt View Post
    Ok, let's back up to the Moser rear end straight out of the crate, hand turning the input shaft was all but impossible, hand turning the axles was doable with both hands and significant effort, does that seem normal/abnormal?
    Did you add fluid to the diff yet?
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, Lucas 85w-90 HD gear oil + friction modifier, ~ 2 quarts total

Post Thanks / Like
    That doesn't sound right.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Not normal.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, i just called Moser tech support and they said it was normal and would loosen up with use...I guess next step will be to call FFR when they open up again

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a Ford Service Tech I've rebuilt many Ford rear ends. You should be able to turn the pinion by hand with some resistance oil or not, if it is "all but impossible" to turn without the brakes installed that indicates there is a problem. The pinion bearing pre-load spec for new bearings is 16-28 inch pounds of turning resistance. There will be a bit more once the carrier and axles are installed but still easy enough to turn by hand, certainly no where near "all but impossible". If the pinion is hard to turn as you described AND the brakes were not installed, contact the builder to coordinate a return for inspection / repair. Do not run it in this condition -- it won't heal itself and it won't "break in and then run smooth" like some will likely tell you.

BTW, I purchased a Moser 88 and it was not especially difficult to turn the pinion. Unless your definition of all but impossible is an exaggeration, I call BS on Moser's advice to run it like it is.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...htM-4209-8.pdf
    Last edited by NAZ; 04-08-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, wish I had posed the question earlier, i was somewhat suspicious when i first received the rear end but attributed it to the small diameter of the pinion and poor leverage, thinking wheels would dramatically improve things, I will back up and get it taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like
    As NAZ said a rear end will not "wear in". It might eat itself up though...

Jeff

13. Likes BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contact FFR through their "info@" email. I sent a question a week or so ago, and Tony responded the next day, so they are monitoring the emails.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly the least experienced responding here and would put more stock in the above responses. However, any chance your E-brake cables are being compressed when there is weight on the rear suspension due to their course near the control arm?
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish that was it but they are not currently connected

Post Thanks / Like
    back to my problem outlined above, with my car on jack stands and the wheels on, it takes about 55ft/lbs of torque to turn the rear axle when using a socket on one of the lug nuts, i would be grateful if some of you could run the same test on your car and post a number to see how mine compares, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    should have also specified that the driveshaft is not connected

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would actually more informative if you could determine the torque required to turn the pinion with the wheels off the ground. It does require using a dial type torque wrench that most folks don't have but you may be able to find a loaner. That way you quantify the amount of torque rather than a perceived notion of what it takes to turn the pinion. I would take that info back to Moser, you might even ask them first what is the max allowable on one of their axles before you share.

Remember, the max torque required to turn a properly pre-loaded pinion is 28 inch pounds. Adding the friction of the ring gear, carrier bearings and axle bearings & seals will increase that required torque and I don't have a spec for that and none exists to my knowledge so you have to use experience to determine what seems reasonable.

As an after thought, I should have converted inch pounds to foot pounds for you as most never work with inch pounds and may be more familiar with what foot pounds feel like. 28 inch pounds is equal to 2.3 foot pounds.
    Last edited by NAZ; 04-11-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

20. Likes Ian G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    back to my problem outlined above, with my car on jack stands and the wheels on, it takes about 55ft/lbs of torque to turn the rear axle when using a socket on one of the lug nuts, i would be grateful if some of you could run the same test on your car and post a number to see how mine compares, thanks
    That sounds like brake drag.
    Your first explanation made it sound as if this problem existed before you assembled the brakes. Is that true? Take the rear tires off, remove the brakes, then see how difficult it is to turn the axles. You can redo you measurement with the tires off.
    Last edited by rich grsc; 04-11-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint