FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Motor are you thinking about putting in your F9?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ferrari V12 (from 456GT or F12).
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are missing the easiest and best option. 5.2L V10 from a 2006-2011 Audi S6 (no, it is not a lambo engine but can sound like one)

Post Thanks / Like
    found a video on the Connaught Type-D with that little 2L v10. skip to about 7:12 to hear it purr. click over there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ford Performance Crate "Godzilla" 7.3L V8 comes Stock with 10.5:1 Compression, 430 HP, 475 lb/ft.

Big Block Push Rod Engine, not as wide as the Coyote Engine!

We think the New Godzilla is an interesting alternative.

John Nizman
    Last Chance Auto Restore.com
    FFR Preferred Builder, Canada
    fms-m-6007-73_bc_xl.jpgfms-m-6007-73_bc_xl.jpg
    Last edited by John Nizman; 11-30-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narkosys View Post
    found a video on the Connaught Type-D with that little 2L v10. skip to about 7:12 to hear it purr. click over there.
    I liked the idea. However, A 2 liter engine would hardly be strong enough to pull this car. One thought about it. A 10 cylinder 2 L engine would have lots of internal friction, a 2l 4 banger would have been a better use of resources.
    Ask any 818 owner <grin>
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of talk about using a V12, but no one mentioned a Falconer V12. Kindigit design put one in a old Lincoln.

https://falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

7. Likes cnutting, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Falconer V-12 is my vote

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    well, not buying it, but Surprised no one has mentioned a Jag V12 or BMW V12.
    Jag V12 is going to be a heavy lump in there but i really like the idea of a V12 in this car and at least 6.0L Mercedes also do a good V12 engine. I'm also looking at AWD options from the Nissan GTR but thats going to be a lot of chassis rework to fit it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since we are getting into "pie in the sky" type of choices now, how about a Judd V10? LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXa8Xt-64U
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an aspirational build for me because as a college student, I can't afford to build one right now, but building a Factory Five F9 has been my dream since it was announced as the GTF. After doing a bit of planning for my aspirational build, which I'll probably be able to do in around 5-10 years if I play my cards right I've come to two very attractive engine options. For me ultimately I want to build the car, but I want to enjoy the car and drive it as often as I could get away with and one barrier for me would be the fuel efficiency of the engine.

I'm currently used to my dad's old ford with nearly 200k miles on it, but at least it gets 20 mpg. It would be hard for me to move to something without at least comparable mpg and still feel alight driving the wheels off it as frequently as I'd like... especially if I want to build it at a younger age, then double the gas prices is more significant relative to my income.

With that in mind, while I'd love to go with a Ford, I also want a minimum of 600 hp, which really limits my options, and I don't really see any options from them that meet both of these criteria that excite me. Instead, looking at chevy, like the idea of an LT4 or an LT5, they get nearly 3x the milage of their LS counterparts at the cost of a bit of reliability from what I've seen. I think it's a fair compromise. And since the fords are more expensive per hp I think the search really stops there, but idk.

I especially like the idea of stuffing one of these engines in that lightweight car. Now I've estimated the weight of the car to be 2100 lbs, with a payload of 400 lbs (myself and a 200lb buffer). I put those into a physics calculator and that's a conservative 0-60 is sub 3 sec for the LT4 and LT5. What I like about it, even more, is I don't have to deal with any of the hassle of using turbos to meet my desired power threshold or any turbo lag. In a decade when those engines are depreciated a bit, they could be solid options for me, because while I want to build the car on a budget, I won't compromise so I'll save until I can afford to build the car that I want.

Thinking about the interior possibilities already has my brain spinning with excitement, I've got some ideas already stewing based on the Phil Frank renders but I look forward to seeing what everyone else does in the meantime. Cheers everyone
    Last edited by DiceMan; 03-24-2021 at 06:16 PM.

12. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Complete Tesla 3 motor setup out of a Model 3 Plaid would be truly ludicrous! It moves a 5000+ lb sedan to 60 in under 3 seconds, what would happen with half the weight??

Otherwise, probably an German V10 or V12. Unless I could track down a Murcie V12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Russellmn View Post
    Complete Tesla 3 motor setup out of a Model 3 Plaid would be truly ludicrous! It moves a 5000+ lb sedan to 60 in under 3 seconds, what would happen with half the weight??

Otherwise, probably an German V10 or V12. Unless I could track down a Murcie V12
    While that's an interesting thought of an electric F9, the Bulk of a Tesla's weight comes from its batteries. They would also be necessary to run the F9 if you wanted to run the Tesla motors. So while the F9 is right around 2500 lbs, there are 1,200 lbs of batteries you would need to install to get the motors spinning at their maximum performance. With the motors too, you're looking at a 4000 lb car at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely a bit torn between 3 options. I loved my voodoo engine in my 2016 gt350, there is the v12ls that I got to see in person last June, and Nelson Racing has been teasing a flat plane ls. While I love the voodoo, I can't make custom headers myself. Also vibration will be an issue with flat plane engines. I'm hoping I get to see the v12ls fired up come June when I make another trip to factory five. That would be the best 30th birthday present ever!

Post Thanks / Like
    now available as a Crate engine. Godzilla v8 from Ford. Cheap too!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34491/...a-crate-engine

part number M-6007-73, available for a cool $8,150
    On sale, $7000.00
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of a Mopar (CAT) Hemi motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    So...assuming we'll have a 700 lb-ft torque engine in a <3000lb car. How does one produce enough friction to keep the rear wheels on the ground without, at least, doubling the car's weight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Traction control

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    AWD Tesla motors
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

21. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Davis View Post
    Traction control
    That's kind of a funny solution. Since traction control's purpose is to reduce power to the wheels - which defeats the whole purpose of having a big engine. Except, of course, bragging rights...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DiceMan View Post
    While that's an interesting thought of an electric F9, the Bulk of a Tesla's weight comes from its batteries. They would also be necessary to run the F9 if you wanted to run the Tesla motors. So while the F9 is right around 2500 lbs, there are 1,200 lbs of batteries you would need to install to get the motors spinning at their maximum performance. With the motors too, you're looking at a 4000 lb car at least.
    I'm curious on the overall weight difference, to get to 85kwh you add about 900lbs in batteries, and then a Model S drive unit is like 300lbs, and then the charger and whatnot, but you remove the engine weight, gas tank/fuel weight, as well as rear end (depending on what you're using, could be chunky). I know it would still be heavier than a gas setup, but id be curious to the more exact weights?

Post Thanks / Like
    On sale, $7000.00
    Motor1 : Ford Twin-Turbo Godzilla Engine In Development: Report.

News on twin turbo Godzilla

https://www.motor1.com/news/510476/f...odzilla-rumor/
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014

Post Thanks / Like
    something that came to mind. I wonder if you would be able to grab the entire driveline off an Audi quatro and make the F9 AWD.

Post Thanks / Like
    On sale, $7000.00
    Just looked at Summit Racing .... $ 6849.99 ... not fully dressed , but a good start ..... Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Something crazy. How about an Aston Martin-Cosworth V12? 6.5 liter 1,000 HP @ 10,500 RPM with a 11,000 RPM redline and emission compliant and weights only 454 pounds. All you need is $$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    something that came to mind. I wonder if you would be able to grab the entire driveline off an Audi quatro and make the F9 AWD.
    Not bad idea. Audi is good at stable operation of key components, Audi's transmission is reliable, it can serve as a basis for upgrading a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not really crazy about EFI motors but if I had to chose I think a nice simple naturally aspirated LSX454 would be a great fit for an F9 project.
    FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, SA QA1's, Breeze LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto NT555 G2 245/285/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly I don't think a big single turbo 6BT will fit under the hood so either going with LS or 3/4 rotor depending on what the bank account says.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE KNIGHT View Post
    Just looked at Summit Racing .... $ 6849.99 ... not fully dressed , but a good start ..... Mike
    Whatyameanbunky not dressed? Just needs a belt and air cleaner :-)
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014

Post Thanks / Like
    Viper 8.4L V10 and it’s small and light.

33. Likes rczap liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not mind a Ferrari or Aston Martin engine. They are reliable and powerful. I also like engines from old American cars such as Chevrolet or Ford from the 60s and 70s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contemplating an sts turbo 416 lsx that I'm building. STS to keep all the heat from the turbo out of the engine bay and save the carbon fiber.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hearing rumors that the 2023 Corvette Z06 will have a flat-plane crank 5.5L NA V8 with a redline of ~9000 rpms. I wonder if Chevy will sell it as a crate engine and if it will have the same vibration issues as the Ford Voodoo engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d like the 4.7L Ferrari engine out of a late model Grand Turismo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got a few thoughts on this one:
    1) inline 6, Toyota 2JZGTE, Nissan RB25DET, or BMW B58
    2) inline 4, Honda F20C with a little turbo to spool fast.
    3) 3 or 4 rotor wankel, of course turbo as well
    4) hayabusa motor.

Either way, if you hadn’t noticed I’m think high revving antics and a HP goal between 350 and 450.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about the new Mopar Hurricane 3.OL twin Turbo Inline 6 cyl? Are they even available as a performance crate engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d be good with that too from what little bit I’ve seen on it. Wasn’t aware of it when I posted the three other I6s I listed

Post Thanks / Like
    How about an LT4.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it comes Painted, red or CARBONED, 6.0L express van alum block, t56 OR CD009 with a fabot clutch kit, usable 1st gear ratio. maybe one big s470 turbski or twin, whatevers availible 4 asthetics or asmatics ur choice. since v8 weight is further behind front axle line vs V10-12 HENCE better weight distrobution.. all that saved up $ will put GAS / 50 ethtenol in it!!!. 50 state parts availibility... LS all of it!!!! anybody got a date or cost? of said F9, should it ever come to market.

gh426

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking more along the lines of a V10. One thing I do know is that I DO NOT want it to sound like a muscle car. To me, this car is an exotic and should have the proper song. I may see if I can wiggle one of Borla's polyphonic exhausts into the mix.
    My thoughts exactly. This is not a muscle car. it should not sound like one. As much as I love muscle car sounds (Ford Coyotes sing a heavenly song) it would just be awkward in this build. It would be the car version of a giant muscular man with a squeaky, high voice.

That being said, part of why I'm here is to look for ideas and a starting place to figure this out for myself.

It looks like we might have a year or two before we can pull the trigger, so I'm trying to plan and prepare as much as I can.

The Audi Ideas I've seen are nice. I'm kind of partial to Ferrari or Lambo v10, it's just up to finding a good one for a decent price relative to what it is that's also reliable enough to not need a rebuild.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123