Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 10R80 Auto Trans

Post Thanks / Like

10R80 Auto Trans

Hey Guys. Planning my build and was wondering if anyone has used the 10r80 auto from a 2018 Mustang. I'm 6'2 with big clunker feet so I'm worried about the room in the foot box. FFR recommends auto trans for big guys so as I am doing some research, that seems like an awesome trans to strap to a 5.0 Coyote, but not sure if it will fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to reach out to Don Shapansky. Don got me started on my build. He built a 33 with a Coyote and AODE 4R70W. Now it was a Gen I and I believe FFR has made some changes to help with spacing. Don was extremely helpful. Here is a link to his album and you can PM him through the forum...https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=787

HTH
    JOP
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

3. Thanks eaglecook thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The 6R80 won't fit without some subtle changes to the trans tunnel. I would guess that with 4 more gears, the case will be considerably bigger. But I have not been able to find any dimensions for the 10R80.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

5. Thanks eaglecook thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Svtfreak and I are using 6R80 automatics and they barely fit in the stock trans tunnel. I understand that the 10R80 has a larger case (although I don't have dimensions to prove it), and probably will not fit without major mods. The foot box is small enough as is, and the shift lever sits higher than some folks would find comfortable. So, my guess is that a 10R80 could be shoehorned into a Hot Rod, but would cause so many other problems as to not be worth the effort. My recommendation is to get a 6R80 or 4R70 from one of the reputable aftermarket vendors.
    HTH, Keith HR #894

Just thought of another issue: FFR does not support any of these transmission options, so you will have to get a custom driveshaft built. Not a big deal, just something to remember to put on the build list.
    Last edited by progmgr1; 04-14-2020 at 02:27 PM.

7. Thanks eaglecook thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keith speaks the truth. The 6r80 fits but it’s tight. Any longer or larger diameter would cause more troubles than is easily fixable. Longer or wider at the back will result in hitting the frame. Anywhere in the middle will mean making the tunnel larger than it comes from ffr. I’m sure it’s doable but how much work are you willing to do?

Honestly, the 10 is a 4.69 first gear. The 6 is 4.1x. The hot rod is so light already, that low of a first gear will be very touchy. The 6r80’s is touchy also but workable with taller tire and rear gear. And I’m having the tuner make it not go to 1st unless dead stopped. If any mph, it’ll stay in 3rd. The close ratio is great for getting good mileage in a 4000 lb car but it’s gonna be a bit quirky in a 2300 lb car. But, if you do it, it sure will be freakin cool.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m trying to shoehorn a 6r80 in my hot rod frame now. Any suggestions on the modifications to the frame behind the trans tunnel that I need to make? I don’t think I can get the transmission far enough back and down to fit without some metal removed.7E95BD29-55FF-49C8-B6E0-9C958F924777.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod Truck #79
    Gen III Coyote with 6R80 A/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I'm having trouble finding dimensions for it as well. Sure don't want to loose space in the footbox as that is the entire reason for going with the auto trans. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    But, if you do it, it sure will be freakin cool.
    HaHa,.. part of me wants to do it just for that cool factor! :-) I've still got some time to decide (now that FFR is backed up months, even MORE time...). So I'll continue the research on the size, but your points about the twitchiness are solid. Thanks. I may just end up going manual as that is my preference. What kind of room do you have in your footbox with the 6 in there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglecook View Post
    HaHa,.. part of me wants to do it just for that cool factor! :-) I've still got some time to decide (now that FFR is backed up months, even MORE time...). So I'll continue the research on the size, but your points about the twitchiness are solid. Thanks. I may just end up going manual as that is my preference. What kind of room do you have in your footbox with the 6 in there?
    It’s kind of tight but not bad. Not having the 3rd pedal makes it live able. But there’s not much room for the second foot. I plan on running a clutch pedal sized pad to help with room. Even then, the left foot may find itself no place to hand out down there. To get an idea, I did not narrow the tunnel at all. Mr Bob did make a relief in his and moved his gas pedal over slightly. I haven’t looked at that yet. My next task is to move pedals around a bit, and maybe even build a whole custom brake pedal arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
    I’m trying to shoehorn a 6r80 in my hot rod frame now. Any suggestions on the modifications to the frame behind the trans tunnel that I need to make? I don’t think I can get the transmission far enough back and down to fit without some metal removed.7E95BD29-55FF-49C8-B6E0-9C958F924777.jpg
    Alaskan, if you see my thread “a prototype 6r80 mount”, it details lots of things. I show how I built my mount. Basically, the motor was close to right with the trans sitting on the factory mounts welded to the frame. I needed it dropped ever so slightly to get the right angle. So I cut them off, and built my own trans cross member and mount. It wasn’t hard, as long as you can cut steel and weld. I detailed a few things that are 6r80 related and still adding as I progress, to that thread.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.