BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noob painting attempt

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious what clear you're using that only allows you a pot life of 30 minutes? I use either 5 Star Extreme that gives up to 5 hours or PPG Vibrance 5700 which is 2.5 hours. Don't get in too big of a rush between coats; in addition to having it take off and run you can end up with solvent popping.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    20200608_184939.jpg This is the paint and clear coat system. I'm happy with the way the base goes on but due to a missed run in the primer that appeared when I was wet sanding the clear and several dirt specks due to poor cleaning after sanding and before painting I re-sanded the doors. First with 80 then 220. Will reapply the black primer that came with the kit and try again.

20200608_184740.jpg

Was able to remove the clear coat runs easy enough then worked progressively from 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000 to a polisher to make sure I was happy with the finish as a test prior to re-sanding for a retry.
    Last edited by miller7448; 06-08-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent 2 weeks chasing problems with repainting the doors. Finally took them all the way down, and restarted. 20200621_143429.jpg20200621_143450.jpg20200621_143435.jpg20200621_143537.jpg

I like the appearance. They look good from 10 feet away .
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

4. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf, DSR-3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    20200625_175043.jpg
    3 Full body base coats, no hose whips, no bugs, no runs! Getting slightly better or just lucky. Other than sweating like mad, 80 degrees seems like a good temp for this paint.
    Last edited by miller7448; 06-25-2020 at 06:21 PM.

6. Likes MVRight liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    20200625_175043.jpg
    3 Full body base coats, no hose whips, no bugs, no runs! Getting slightly better or just lucky. Other than sweating like mad, 80 degrees seems like a good temp for this paint.

Always go with "lucky". As soon as you say you are getting better karma will slap you like a red headed stepchild. I've been running on luck for years. Couldn't tell you the horror stories of how I got "karma slapped" when I was young and picking apart someone else's work. TEN FOLD I got it back....biblical proportions I tell you...da Bat. keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    20200627_161949.jpg

Well, it's good enough to get it on the road. Should have known better that the "kit" was not enough to properly complete the car. I don't think the clear coat is thick enough to allow finishing the surface, but I ran out after barely 3 coats. Not sure what the options are for adding more later. I enjoyed the process but would not recommend it .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Always go with "lucky". As soon as you say you are getting better karma will slap you like a red headed stepchild. I've been running on luck for years. Couldn't tell you the horror stories of how I got "karma slapped" when I was young and picking apart someone else's work. TEN FOLD I got it back....biblical proportions I tell you...da Bat. keep up the good work.
    Absolutely spot on! Always better to be lucky than good, to much to contend with when car painting.

Looks good

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    cobra1.jpgcobra2.jpg

Looks OK from 20 ft . A lot of defects but I'm still glad I gave it a try. Would have been interesting to have access to a true paint booth and the limited knowledge I have gained. Biggest mistake was believing the paint "kit" would be enough to cover the car. In reality should have had 2 gallons of both top coat and clear. Doors have major runs and on one lifting which will need to be redone over the winter. Still not sure what the final plan will be but will likely run with it as is for a year.

11. Likes DSR-3, MVRight liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123