Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: A few fuel tank questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few fuel tank questions

Hey all,

I'm getting back to my build after a few months off. I'm currently working on the fuel tank, and have a few questions. FWIW - I'm using the following upgrade items:

- Pro-M fuel pump hanger with Walbro pump
    - Breeze big-bore check valve
    - Ford OEM filler neck seal

I've got the tank mostly together and ready to install in the frame, but have a few questions:

1) the FFR kit came with a round profile o-ring for the fuel pump hanger. The Pro-M hanger came with two flat o-rings (a wider one and a narrower one). Does it matter which of these three I use? I've currently got the wide flat one on there, but now's the time to make the change if needed.

2) I've read that some folks use Permatex form-a-gasket on the fuel gauge sender (presumably with the supplied round profile o-ring). Should I also be using the Permatex on the fuel pump hanger gasket?

3) I'm trying to get the rearward ends of the tank straps in place prior to lifting the tank in place, but the eyes on the straps are nowhere near big enough for the 3/8" bolts to be able to pass through. Is there a trick to enlarging these without completely mangling them? I've tried to see if I could lightly tap the bolt through with a rubber mallet, but it's waaaay off from fitting through there. would replacing these with 5/16" x 2" stainless bolts (rather than the supplied 3/8" x 2") be a bad idea? I'd still use 3/8" bolts on the front ends of the straps (probably stainless 3/8" x 2.5")

Thanks,
    John

Last edited by JohnK; 04-24-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.