Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: CA DMV registration questions

Post Thanks / Like

CA DMV registration questions

Can't believe it is time to start chasing paperwork. From what I have read, it looks like the most current process for step one of registration is to visit DMV with forms Application for title or registration (REG343) and Statement of Construction (REG5036) and take engine, kit, transmission, and certificate of origin paperwork along with a check to DMV. Is this about right?

I do have specific questions for the forms though if anyone has any info, really appreciate it. This is probably the scariest part of the build for me!

Registration form:
    1. I assume I leave VIN, make, model, year blank for DMV to fill, right? If not, what should I put in?
    2. What do I enter for section 5? No idea if I should leave it blank, or answer any of those questions.
    3. Similarly what do I enter for section 6? Any thoughts?
    4. I assume I just mark Section 7 as "N/A" and leave the rest blank

On the Statement of Construction form, I only am not sure what to do for section 7?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
    MKIV complete kit #8523, IRS, Coyote Engine, TKO 600, 3.55 rear end, PS, and a whole lot more! Graduated in May 2021.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, have you confirmed you can start the registration process right now? I thought all DMV offices were closed due to Covid?

Regarding your questions, here is what I did when I started the process in February which worked for me.

1. I assume I leave VIN, make, model, year blank for DMV to fill, right? If not, what should I put in?
    Leave VIN blank, DMV had me put the FFR chassis number but easy to do on the spot.
    Make: Factory Five
    Model: I put Type 65 so I'd assume MKIV for you
    Year Model: 1965
    2. What do I enter for section 5? No idea if I should leave it blank, or answer any of those questions.
    If this is the first time registering it then you leave the first two lines blank (Date entered/operated)
    Fill in other lines about driver's license and date purchased. If bought new from FFR check new, check outside CA
    3. Similarly what do I enter for section 6? Any thoughts?
    I checked PURCHASE and entered the invoice price from FFR plus eng/trans
    4. I assume I just mark Section 7 as "N/A" and leave the rest blank
    That's what I did

For statement of construction just leave section 7 blank or write N/A

Other thoughts are as most mention, it's a roll of the dice what experience you'll have and how knowledgeable the person is. For me the clerk was very friendly but had no idea what she was doing her. I gave her the memo number (VR-2002-25) and she was very grateful but got stuck at the VIN. She said I couldn't complete the process until I got a VIN from CHP and was not going to give me a sequence number. Fortunately her supervisor came over, knew exactly what to do and had the process completed in a few minutes.

FYI, they said the sequence number would come by mail in 10-15 days but it took about 7 weeks for mine to arrive.

Good luck

3. Thanks soaringDude thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Tuftster! That definitely helps.

Last I heard DMV was open for essential business. I have not confirmed if I can make a DMV appt for this or not, but figured prepping everything and educating myself is the the first step. As soon as I can visit DMV, I will do that part.

BTW, does this men you had to wait 7 weeks before going for your CHP VIN assignment?
    MKIV complete kit #8523, IRS, Coyote Engine, TKO 600, 3.55 rear end, PS, and a whole lot more! Graduated in May 2021.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. I had many of the same questions so if I can help I'm glad to do so.

Unfortunately my sequence number didn't arrive until after the shelter in place was imposed. My goal was to complete the car to a point it was ready to register so that I could take it to the Huntington Beach show. With the show postponed, and everything else going on (three small kids) I haven't had time to finish and I'm not sure if CHP/BAR are open for inspections. My 60 day temp permit expired but I was able to get two single day permits when the car is ready and inspection stations are open. So close but yet so far.

I'm interested to see what you find in regards to availability of appointments/inspections.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can imagine. Sorry you missed Huntington, I was planning on taking my chassis there this year too. Who knew! Instead I am making great progress on the project and unexpectedly I found myself wanting to register so I can drive it around a bit before paint. I am hoping I will have everything ready and wait as soon as they open DMV appointments again. Stay safe and best of luck with the kids. I know it can be a handful at times. Will report back...

Post Thanks / Like
    soaringDude,

Huntington Beach has, to the best of my information, been postponed until September 12th . . . more than enough time for some of the "just missed it" builders to complete their cars.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I will be "finished" by then, but I am definitely planning on bringing her down for it - assuming it won't get delayed or pushed back. Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friendly DMV clerk too... Except she missed 2 things on entry of the data; an extra leading 0, and she transposed one of the DMV codes. I missed the code, and re. the serial number she said "It's OK, ask for me when you come back and I can fix it then". She was right- I got shot down at the BAR and had to go back just to fix it! That and the code f-up cost me 2 extra trips to the DMV, and delayed the process for over a month. *They will extend the temporary tag on request. I had read "don't leave the first appointment without the sequence number". They tried to "send" it, until I pushed and her boss had to call Sacramento, yes- it was that easy. That saved weeks as you need it to make the CHP appt.
    Check every single detail on the first printouts, and be sure they are 100% before you leave!
    San Jose CHP was a breeze.
    Last edited by DSR-3; 05-09-2020 at 01:00 AM.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advise everyone. I finally got a chance to go to DMV today and got my SB100 number and the pink sticker! All the advise helped a great deal and the registration went pretty smoothly. Now gotta get back to the build and get her ready for the CHP appointment

11. Likes DSR-3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Getting that SB100 number is the biggest hurdle. CHP and BAR should be pretty straight forward. Make sure you have a DOT approved hose from your air cleaner to the oil breather for the pcv closed loop system.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    For the pcv advise; not sure whats needed if you have a coyote

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not registered yet, but my understanding is that you need both hoses indicated in the attached photo. The PS hose is already attached to the crate motor, and the DS is usually fabbed or maybe you can use the OE hose that came with the crate motor. Sorry for the poor photo. Car is up on the lift and I was just holding the phone over my head to get the shot.
    HTH, Keith HR #894
    PCV hoses.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct, both are needed. Mine is setup very similarly with the factory hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Major milestone - registration complete!!!

It was pretty painful and I am very happy it is behind now. The whole process took exactly 3 months to the day. Initial registration at DMV was pretty easy, walked away with my 60 day TOP and a sequence number (80 if you are wondering) and finally could start driving the car! Called CHP to request appt as I was walking out of DMV! Took a whole 2 months to get CHP appointment and I may still be waiting if it wasn't for multiple calls when my TOP was about to expire. Actual CHP inspection was super easy too. In/out and had the FR5 serial number as VIN.

Call the ref and schedule the virtual appointment. But they need the actual certificate of sequence in hand. Wait a bit more, nothing; call DMV SPU, hours on hold talk to human, no idea what SB100 is! Online chat claims I never get a certificate of sequence and ref should change that requirement! Finally go to DMV, stand in line for a few hours, nobody has any idea how to find out what happened or what to do to request one! Super frustrated, go get mail, oh-what's this!!! Got the virtual ref appointment done, now wait and wait for someone to call you to schedule the in person. 2.5 weeks of calling and asking and not getting anywhere. Finally lost it last Friday, and the guy immediately set up an appointment for Monday morning ��

Got that done, back to DMV, they now want brake and lamp (I knew it was 50/50 whether I get away without it or not). Go find an inspection shop, pay $140 and he did absolutely nothing! No headlight adjustment, no actual brake check - a complete waste of $140! Back to DMV, a few more hours, and I finally walked out with registration tags and license plates! Yay, feels like I finally have a car!

And to those that are about to go through the process. My best advise is to give it lots of time, have lots of patience, and maybe start a meditation practice - you gonna need it ��

Tomorrow I am trailering it to Ken to get the bodywork started. Finish line is definitely in sight. Many thanks to all who helped with my registration questions.

17. Likes Straversi, DSR-3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome! Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, brother! Wow, we're only on sequence 80, and it's September? Glad you got through it all. The varying amount of experiences with SB100 just blows my mind. Anyone reading this: If you can run your SB100 process through the Placerville office, I highly recommend it. They knew what they were doing with mine.

BTW, when you're at Ken's tomorrow, look for my car. He's redoing the hood to correct a couple of errors.

- m
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, saw your car today We will get them together for a cruise soon!

Note that 80 was as of 3 months ago, but yeah pretty low number. I was surprised when I got it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    Congrats, brother! Wow, we're only on sequence 80, and it's September? Glad you got through it all. The varying amount of experiences with SB100 just blows my mind. Anyone reading this: If you can run your SB100 process through the Placerville office, I highly recommend it. They knew what they were doing with mine.

BTW, when you're at Ken's tomorrow, look for my car. He's redoing the hood to correct a couple of errors.

- m

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the total cost of the Ca. registration? I was told its really expensive. Does the date of the engine matter? Such as a 1970's verses a 2010?
    Great news for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tax was the biggest part of it at 9.75%! Outside tax, I think outside tax, it was about $600. Date of engine does not matter (assuming you are registering based on body style).

Quote Originally Posted by mark jones View Post
    What was the total cost of the Ca. registration? I was told its really expensive. Does the date of the engine matter? Such as a 1970's verses a 2010?
    Great news for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. The outside tax of $600 was a bite. So total about $800?
    I have been told the bodies are a bit rough or need lots of prep etc. Whats your
    thoughts on that?
    I'd love my wife to see your car, could help convince her it would be a great thing to have

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is at the paint shop. I should be getting the chassis back in a week or so but body won't be back for a while. Be more than happy to show you what I have once I get the chassis back.

Total registration depends on how much you spend on the kit/engine/tranny but it will be way more than $200! A complete kit is 20k+ and 10% of that is 2K. I think I paid $3500 or so if I recall correctly.

Body has the mold joints that are rough but not too bad. I didn't do any sanding and drove it around for a month or two and it was OK. Even in that condition its a head turner

Post Thanks / Like
    They will hit you up for "labor cost" believe it or not, so start thinking about your answer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mind to give any feedback on what has been accepted for the labor cost? 40 hours at $10/hr?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    Mind to give any feedback on what has been accepted for the labor cost? 40 hours at $10/hr?
    I went to the CA dmv with receipts for my tires, tranny, engine and kit and thats it. I built my engine and paid tax on some parts and no tax on others. Some receipts i even returned stuff later. It was a bit of a mess and after they got through that i think i tired them out. Never was any labor costs discussed. I registered my car before any of the bodywork was even started aside from attaching the doors and trunk. Hell, my CHP inspection was only on the go cart. No fiberglass installed whatsoever. If you present a reasonable amount of receipts and dont declare the car cost $2k, i dont think you ll have any questions asked.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think like so many of the steps, much comes down to the individuals involved- DMV, CHP, BAR, "Sacramento", etc. I was declined when I listed $500 under Value not supported by invoices or bills (form REG 5036), and was told to include labor there. $1,500 total was accepted. At one point "Sacramento" even required more pictures of the build as "proof"...
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    I added $0 for labor. I claimed I had built every part of it which was true at the time (since then paint project has started ). Strangely, BAR asked for pictures and they insisted to see pictures that showed me working on building the car. I had very few which I submitted to them and they accepted it without really telling me why they needed it.

The only cost considered for the value and hence tax calculation were kit, engine, transmission. Neither DMV nor CHP asked for anything else. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    I think like so many of the steps, much comes down to the individuals involved- DMV, CHP, BAR, "Sacramento", etc. I was declined when I listed $500 under Value not supported by invoices or bills (form REG 5036), and was told to include labor there. $1,500 total was accepted. At one point "Sacramento" even required more pictures of the build as "proof"...
    Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by soaringDude View Post
    I added $0 for labor. I claimed I had built every part of it which was true at the time (since then paint project has started ). Strangely, BAR asked for pictures and they insisted to see pictures that showed me working on building the car. I had very few which I submitted to them and they accepted it without really telling me why they needed it.

The only cost considered for the value and hence tax calculation were kit, engine, transmission. Neither DMV nor CHP asked for anything else. I hope this helps.
    Interesting. Thanks for the responses. I definitely havent taken any selfies working on the car, I guess in CA these days selfies are pretty much the standard so I guess I need to start taking a few

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine took 18 months. Mostly due to the clerk at Sacramento handling the case bc I bought the car (not drivable) from out of state and I had to repair body off and rebuild. She just couldn't imagine that the car did not need smog even with the BAR giving me the smog certificate. She was bent that every car from out of state needs smog so she wouldn't complete the registration and send my plates. She said "Your smog certificate is incomplete, all these things from BAR says Not Tested". (that's btw what it's supposed to look like when the cert says no smog requirement)

So I said "Ok I'll go to a smog station and ask for a cert, what year does it need to smog to?" She went "What?". I said my registration says 0000. What smog test do I tell the smog station to do for year 0000? She said smog to the year on the registration, so two choices, 0000, or 1965 for the motor. Smog station had no idea what to do, since it's exempt in their computers, and they called BAR. BAR said, that car is exempt already, we put a sticker on it and gave you a cert, you're good to go. I told them what was going on and had to return so they could double check paperwork. They confirmed, you're SB100 and you don't need smog. Back to call DMV Sacramento offices....

This went on even after the Sac clerk's managers and directors had cleared it ages ago, this one lady kept holding my papers up saying she couldn't find them and had to search some digital archive. Finally I got a number to a compliance section and at the same time another manager helped me again, who helped me a year ago to get the sequence number when said clerk denied it first. This manager probably couldn't believe it and asked for copies, said it was never scanned into the digital archives, she did get the job done inside 24 hours and plates showed up a couple of days later.

I did have a temporary tag from the local DMV office that lasted through May and I mostly did track days and upgrades so wasn't getting fired up over it, and I sort of enjoyed every required trip as an excuse to drive the car on the road since.

It's all about the clerk than ends up with your papers in front of them. If they want to cause trouble, they can. But policies and management have proven to be helpful and know what to do. If the Placerville location is as good as the reference above says, even if it's a 3 hour drive for someone, it can save 12 months in my experience.

BAR at Las Positas were very knowledgeable. CHP in Dublin were awesome car guys. Local Pleasanton DMV on first visit was efficient to a level never witnessed before. Staff seemed more Silicon Valley than legacy DMV.

As for paperwork, there's no template and they won't ask you really, they'll just approve or deny. So load up with TONS of photos, be factual, descriptive, provide major receipts, use reasonable labor estimates, describe your story with the car, such as purchase, arrival, loading and setting up to build, milestones, show it at your house / address if that's where you are building it. Their number one concern, and same at BAR and CHP, seemed to be a worry that someone else built it for profit motive for you. Debunk that up front and it should be ok.
    Last edited by RR46; 12-20-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Restored GTM #82 w help of friends. Now cruising, tracking, upgrading.