Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission options for those with health problems: Flappy Paddle Gearbox

Post Thanks / Like

Question Transmission options for those with health problems: Flappy Paddle Gearbox

No I'm not talking 5 sp vs. 6 sp. I'm asking if an automatic with a flappy paddle gearbox could ever be feasible.

Hear me out.

I’ve never driven anything other than manuals. My 818 is going to be a manual. However, there’s someone close to me I’m trying to interest in one of these projects and he has some health problems that may put a manual transmission out of reach. He’s a racer at heart though, and I thought if there was any way I could get him at least some paddles to shift (it’s like a Ferrari, man!) then he’d be onboard and we could do this together.

Help forum Obi-Wan Kenobi’s, you’re our only hope.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of someone over on the Lotus forms who made his Elise a 500 - 800 HP Fappy Paddle monster. You can go out and buy these gearboxes - but be careful - they are quite expensive and require some know-how to put it together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option would be a factory 4 speed auto with a custom controller that allows direct access to each gear.

Transmission control is really just controlling a few soliniods at the right time and in the right sequence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Since the 818 "platform" will also support a to-be-determined eco-engine, and you're already building a kit car, why not go with an engine that is already available with the flappy-paddle gearbox? Sure, it would become a 2-donor kit and you'd have to do your own fab for some stuff, but isn't that half the fun?

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't have to cannibalize another powertrain, it can be retrofit to the existing gearbox. Ariel Atom owners have already done it. It'll lighten your wallet for sure but it is cool, if untraditional.

http://www.geartronics.co.uk/paddleshift.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
    You don't have to cannibalize another powertrain, it can be retrofit to the existing gearbox. Ariel Atom owners have already done it. It'll lighten your wallet for sure but it is cool, if untraditional.

That's pretty cool. It appears to control the existing shifter rod and throttle with air cylinders. The overall shift speed would still be dictated by the scyncros.

Very cool, but expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested in this as well. I have a medical condition that makes it very hard to drive a standard.

Why not use a auto from a Impreza and then tune the pcm for the turbo motor?

Or something like this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...item35b531847d

Post Thanks / Like
    What about running an Impreza auto trans and PCM then retune it for a turbo engine. Then maybe something like this
    http://mastershift.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's great! Looks like about $5,000 on the low end. How did you hear about these guys? Is there anyone in the USA doing something of similar quality?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought people hade already dome this to there Subarus. I will have to check on nasioc
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

GTM Builder/Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    From reading what they have on their website, it sounds like there is still a clutch. If you friend is disabled and can't use a clutch, then I don't think that this is a solution. They list "clutchless up/down shifts" which includes a cylinder to 'blip the throttle'. So I think that it still requires a clutch to start off from a dead stop.
    GTM #26
    Stock LS-6. PHII G50-50, Shane's Louvers, Nordskog Dash, Shaved Door Handles,
    David Borden's Aluminum Dash Cover for Nordskog Dash,
    Roll Bar Covers -- http://quickracingproducts.com/html/interior.html

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Doc FFR,
    I can understand your concern for your friend. I, too, had a health concern. Bad hip made clutch pushing a possible issue over time.

However, if your friend is a real hot rodder, he might be able to live with a more simple solution. I just read an article about a Mustang racer running high 11's at the strip with a similar engine setup that many people use on the forum (400+ hp) and a C4 trans with a 4500 stall TC. And the surprising thing was it was not a full race trans. You can shift manually with the right valve mods and get a pretty good manual trans feel (or not shift). Just my opinion. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Downs View Post
    From reading what they have on their website, it sounds like there is still a clutch. If you friend is disabled and can't use a clutch, then I don't think that this is a solution. They list "clutchless up/down shifts" which includes a cylinder to 'blip the throttle'. So I think that it still requires a clutch to start off from a dead stop.
    Dang. I'll have to read their website a little more closely... I was hoping not to put him through the a clutch pedal.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Required reading before you try to paddle shift a tranny.....Lots of breakage:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...e-shifted.html
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you have time, go to Mastershift.com. They are advertising that "the other guy" had a Daytona Coupe with paddles. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    I thought people hade already dome this to there Subarus. I will have to check on nasioc
    Most likely you're thinking of a sequential dogbox that skips the H pattern for the front-back shift lever. No synchros in those so you can keep the skinny pedal flat but they tend to be noisy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered an auto box with a ratchet shifter like the drag guys use? Might be the most cost effective solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most likely you're thinking of a sequential dogbox that skips the H pattern for the front-back shift lever. No synchros in those so you can keep the skinny pedal flat but they tend to be noisy.
    Not even close to what i was thinking. I Was just thinking of the universal paddle shifter kits you can get for automatic transmissions...

Like...
    http://www.tunersgroup.com/Products/...ddleshift.html
    http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...PADDLE-SHIFTER
    Last edited by StatGSR; 09-24-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    05 Outback XT - DD

Post Thanks / Like
    A true auto trans setup would make this a reality, and as others have pointed out simple aftermarket shift control systems would make paddle ****ing easy, or even a steptronic trans shifter. In the end shifting a 4 spd auto is like binary code, it's very simple and many aftermarket systems support this. With proper line pressure and race fluids, I dont see the trans dieing on him, and in fact I see it being faster in a straight line and holding up better to launches. You do have an added weight associated along with an additional trans fluid cooler. With a turbocharged engine you don't need to run all that loose of a torque converter, which keeps it much better for streetable manners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Downs View Post
    I watched some of the videos and it looks like the guys are using their left foot to get the car going from neutral to 1st gear. I've driven cars with paddles before... No clutch pedals there. I guess the difference is starting with an automatic transmission vs a manual transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    So... The answer is a 4 speed auto tranny with one of the aftermarket paddle shifter kits? Okay. There's not a five speed auto tranny for subaru's that would fit is there?
    Last edited by Doc_FFR; 09-24-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose one could use a newer five speed automatic. It would all depend on your donor.
    05 Outback XT - DD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    I suppose one could use a newer five speed automatic. It would all depend on your donor.
    What year donor would I need?

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, 5 speed automatics are only factory installed behind the 6 cylinders. Not sure why though. 4 cylinders went straight to a CVT from the 4 speed.

Also, the 4 speed auto is available from the factory in 2WD form in pre-96 cars. I'm not sure how easy it would be to convert a 5 speed to 2WD use.

IMHO, with the light weight of the 818 - combined with Subaru's generally higher than normal 4cyl torque - I can't see a 4 speed being that much of a detriment. It might even be better in some aspects because of the wider gear spacing.

Post Thanks / Like
    New Legacy's have 5EAT. However, it isn't easy to hook up the ECU with the TCU. I have heard they won't talk to each other. I had talked with the people at IPT about it before. Why not a 4EAT with a modified valvebody and high stall TC?

Post Thanks / Like
    I Have a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (also call Legnum in JP) V6 2.5lt twin turbo east west mount 4WD with 5 speed auto/ manual box INVECS (Intelligent & Innovative Vehicle Electronic Control System)
    maybe this engine and trans combo may fit your needs?

INVECS-II
    Despite sharing its name with the previous system, the second version of INVECS was a radical development, based on Porsche's Tiptronic semi-automatic transmission technology.[5] As with Porsche's version it allowed for either a fully automatic mode, or a clutchless semi-automatic mode if the driver wished to control the up- and down-shift points. It also offered the same Adaptive Shift Control software which monitored and "learned" the driver's habits over time and adjusted the smoothness or aggression of the gearshifts to suit his or her driving style.[6] It was first implemented in the new Mitsubishi FTO in 1994.

INVECS-III
    The third version of INVECS was further advanced, and now offered a continuously variable transmission when in fully automatic mode, or a six-speed clutchless manual if the driver wished to control the up- and down-shift points. A further innovation for Mitsubishi was the introduction of paddle shifters allowing the driver to make manual gearchanges while their hands remain on the steering wheel.[7]

INVECS-III was introduced in 2000, in the eighth generation of the Mitsubishi Lancer.[8][9] The paddle shift option was first seen on the second generation Mitsubishi Outlander which debuted in 2005

Technical specificationsEngine

Configuration — DOHC 24v V type 6 cylinder
    Code — 6A13TT
    Bore/stroke, capacity — 81.0 × 80.8 mm, 2498 cc
    Compression ratio — 8.5:1
    Fuelling — ECI-MULTI, premium unleaded fuel
    Peak power — 206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp) at 5500 rpm
    Peak torque — 367 N·m (271 lb·ft) at 4000 rpm
    Transmission — 5 speed semi-auto / 5 speed manual
    Suspension — Multi-link (front & rear)
    Dimensions
    Length — 4,680 mm (184.3 in)
    Width — 1,760 mm (69.3 in)
    Height — 1,420 mm (55.9 in)
    Wheelbase — 2,635 mm (103.7 in)
    Curb weight — 1,520 kg(3,400 lb)
    Fuel tank — 60 L
    Wheels/tyres — 225/50 R16 91V
    Performance0–100 km/h (62 mph): 6.0 seconds (depending on shape and trim, this can vary)
    Top Speed: approximately 244kmh (152 mph) when derestricted
    Last edited by Fast818; 09-28-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally a twin clutch manual automatic like in the Misubishi Evo MR or the Nissan GTR would be the perfect type of transmission however I cannot think of any out there that would be remotely cost effective. (Think Lambo/Ferrari) Nor would they be able to control the drive-by-wire properly to "blip" the throttle during shifting. A full blow automatic would be this simplest way by far if you can find one from a car whose electronic control is independent of the ECU for the motor. I bet an older subie would have one. MAYBE a Porsche boxer transmission? Did they do the manumatic thing?

The boxer motor is what is holding you back for a paddle shifter. There would be a number of options if they did come out with the TDI setup.....a transverse mounted motor would do the trick......hrm Evo MR motor and trans anyone? :-)

Something like this perhaps. I fear the orientation of the transmission might be backwards though for what we are looking for. The Porsche site says it's Mid rear instead of rear rear. Can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by Exidous; 09-29-2011 at 03:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm assuming from all this talk that the WRX never came with an automatic, or its crap? Can someone please confirm this.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was available with an auto from 2002-2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's just that 4 speed autos are out of fashion now, so they don't get any attention. The WRX unit is reasonable enough, some WRX guys actually prefer it over a 5 speed for drag racing.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be extremely hard to convert a Subie automatic to front wheel drive...all the 5-speeds have an electronic center diff just like the STi 6-speeds. Hopefully, though, we will have another option. If FFR builds the eco-818 to use the TDI transmission as well as the engine itself, that opens up a WHOLE NEW can of awesome! VW/Audi's DSG (6-speed dual-clutch) transmission will be a great choice! Very easy to use paddle shifters, no clutch pedal, and shifts like a madman! That would also let us use a whole host of VW engine options in addition to the Subie stuff. A 3.2 v6 or 2.0 turbo engine with a DSG box would be a BLAST to drive, and even the wife could drive it on occasion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Doom View Post
    It will be extremely hard to convert a Subie automatic to front wheel drive...all the 5-speeds have an electronic center diff just like the STi 6-speeds.
    you can convert a Subaru 4EAT into FWD by putting in a fuse..... seriously, there is a fuse box in the engine bay labeled FWD.... done... it may not be the "right" way, but it is a very easy way

or
    05 Outback XT - DD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Doom View Post
    It will be extremely hard to convert a Subie automatic to front wheel drive
    Did you know that if you pull a certain fuse on any automatic Impreza, be it 2.5i or WRX, it becomes FWD. I believe this is true for many other Subaru models as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ you have to put a fuse in actually... it is normally removed

also, to late!
    05 Outback XT - DD

Post Thanks / Like
    Beat me to it. Is it pull a fuse or insert a fuse? Might have changed at some point. Either way, it's just a fuse that's needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    The old 4speed auto has the front drive part connected directly to the output shaft of the transmission part. The RWD part is enganged by a clutchpack controled by a duty cycle soliniod. When the clutch is at full lockup technically the whole front/rear is locked together, Subaru calls this 50/50. This duty cycle soliniod is bypassed when the fuse is inserted, there-by releasing the clutch and sending all power to the mechanically connected FWD output. Normal operation has the solinoid control the duty cycle of the clutchpack varying the RWD portion betwen 10%-50% torque.

This applies for 90% of the 4speed automatic USA models from 1990-2007. There is a very small percentage of 4 speed autos that have a "real" center diff, these are called VTD (Variable Torque Distibution) that do not have the directly connected FWD output.
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 09-29-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think adding the fuse still allows the rear to get around 10% of the power instead of 50/50. Also, I believe that only the 4EATs have this option...I don't think the 5EAT has that fuse. It would be awesome if we could use the Subie transmission as many/most donor cars at least have an automatic option, but I think the DSG VW box would make a GREAT Autox/Track transmission. The more options the better!

Edit: After more research, the center diff does unlock fully with the fuse. Still leaves the mechanical end, but it should be possible!
    Last edited by Admiral Doom; 09-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    I'm assuming from all this talk that the WRX never came with an automatic, or its crap? Can someone please confirm this.
    it isnt the worst automatic out there and i could certainly live with it for a daily driver wrx... i drove one in a modified wrx (03) and it worked quite well to put the extra power down, seemed a bit slower off the line then my manual but shifted fast and smooth. the automatics are common as most people want to get rid of them in favor of the 5speed or 6 speed

i imagine in a car with far less weight and only 2 tires the automatic will be even better hopefully others who have lived with that transmission for a longer period then an afternoon can offer more insight

Post Thanks / Like
    On such a light car you could put a small stall on it and it would probably become a monster. At least in a straight line. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    400WTQ WRX engine waiting for a new home...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast