BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wipers??

Post Thanks / Like

Wipers??

I was just wondering if very many guys run wipers.... At $499.00 for wipers, I'm thinking Rainex.

Superannuated Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looked into it and it seems to vary -- some do and some don't. Sometimes they are required by the state, but even when required any given state may or may not seem to care.

FFR Rookie Craftsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy,

I'm building a Spyder and since I do not have a roof or sidewindows wipers are not that big of an issue.

What I'm planning on doing is using a wiper assembly off of the tailgate of either a mini-van or an SUV. Either one should be fairly small since they would have to fit inside the tailgate and should work for my needs.

Paul
    FFR 4859GT 414W (stroked 351W, 4.0" stroke, 4.060" bore). Tremec TKO 5spd. IRS w/3.55 and Torsen diff. 13" dual-piston front disc brakes (Mustang Cxxxra parts), 12" rear disc brakes (Corvette parts). 2003 Mustang Coxxa wheels, 275/40 front, 315/35 rear.

Possibly the only person in the world that is currently building a Spyder GT.

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose to go without but living in So Cal made that an easy decision.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
    I chose to go without but living in So Cal made that an easy decision.
    Are you bragging abour your weather?? Here in Indiana our state doesn't seem to care, we have no state inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose to go with wipers. After having a Roadster without, I often found myself with VERY limited visibility with misting conditions.
    Build photos at: http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/...Daytona_Coupe/
    Coupe #510 ordered 10/28/2010 - Picked up 12/17/10 FIRST of the Generation 2
    Roller 02/22/11
    IRS, All aluminum Forte 408W with Weber stacks

Mark III, 514, TKO 600, IRS - SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Georgia Coupe did you use the kit from FFR? I"m just suprised at the cost.... I assumed they came in the complete kit but found out otherwise. I run hot and cold as to what to do.
    By the was I assume that is your coupe in your avitar and it looks great! I love the red and hope mine looks as good as yours when we get done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go down to YOU-PULL-IT, find any small car or truck and for $15 bucks you'll have a system much better than the Lucas.
    Built to be driven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Horse, I think you have a good point, back in the day I used to go to junk yards for a lot of parts when I built streetrods. Now I'm older and I forgot I can still fabricate instead of just buying everything prefit so like you said for a few bucks I will just have to think a little harder. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the DMV certifying the car for road w/o wipers?
    Last edited by Shawnski; 09-26-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think our state has a problem with no wipers although I don't want to leave them off and then find out they do. Like mentioned earlier in this section I'm going to seek an alternative to the FFR wipers and then I'll be okay with the state just in case.
    There are plenty of street rods around here with no wipers......

Post Thanks / Like
    I put in wipers, and I've been caught in the rain once so I was happy I did.

That said, I did the FF5 kit and I would look else where next time. They were probably the most difficult thing on the whole build to get working.

Post Thanks / Like
    My "complete kit" came with a wiper kit. Box 14.
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJBergquist View Post
    I'm going to call FFR and ask about that... Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rj35pj View Post
    Georgia Coupe did you use the kit from FFR? I"m just suprised at the cost.... I assumed they came in the complete kit but found out otherwise. I run hot and cold as to what to do.
    By the was I assume that is your coupe in your avitar and it looks great! I love the red and hope mine looks as good as yours when we get done.
    I am using the FFR supplied kit. Is you do use their kit, check out the wiper install section on this site. Really helped me out on the install. My car is not on the road yet, so I can't be sure of the function. They seem to work pretty good in my garage without a windshield .

As far as my Avitar, it is a rendition of what I want my car to look like. My son made it for me on the game Forza on XBOX. Check out my photobucket album.
    Build photos at: http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/...Daytona_Coupe/
    Coupe #510 ordered 10/28/2010 - Picked up 12/17/10 FIRST of the Generation 2
    Roller 02/22/11
    IRS, All aluminum Forte 408W with Weber stacks

Mark III, 514, TKO 600, IRS - SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rj35pj View Post
    Are you bragging abour your weather?? Here in Indiana our state doesn't seem to care, we have no state inspection.
    Yes but I really don't plan on driving in the rain and it doesn't rain that much here anyway. I keep the windshield waxed so even when it does get misty it just rolls off. If parked outside at night I get a layer of mist on the window like anyone else but a quick wipe by hand to get me going and clears it right up.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed wipers in my MKII, never really intending to use them. The state of MA can be fickle with its regulations, and I did not want to be turned down for initial registration for lack of wipers. Mounting them was insurance against that. That said, I have never used them (in five years and 13,000 miles of driving), nor do I ever intend to. They are of course all set and ready to go at a moment's notice, except that I removed the fuse for that circuit. You see, I don't want to have them scratch my windshield. In those two times I have driven in showers, here is what I noticed: 1. Rainex does a good job of maintaining the windshield clarity, especially when applied to both sides of the windshield; 2. Moisture deposits itself almost equally on both sides of the windshield at speed, and 3. the bodywork curve between the left fender and the hood does a remarkable job of directing water to the base of the left windshield post, and ultimately to my thigh waiting below. And yes, the car does handle differently in the wet!
    At yearly inspection time, I insert the wiper circuit fuse so, if I am asked to operate them, I simply lift the wiper arms off the windshield and run the system. I have cable-tied a good fuse to the spent one for that sircuit, and I keep the spent fuse in the wiper space of the fuse box. That way, if I ever really, really, really need to use the wipers, I only need switch the two fuses and I am in business.
    Last edited by Pierre B; 09-27-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added information

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJBergquist View Post
    I called FFR today. About a year ago the wipers were no longer included as part of the complete kit. So I wasn't supposed to get wipers with my kit. There is also no price break...but I did ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hay Bob I'll sell you mine never installed brand new for 1/2 price.
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have wipers and have driven in heavy rain 3 times. 2 weeks ago it rained for my entire heat of autocross. I found that once I dropped the hammer I never noticed any visibility problems. I was just too busy trying to keep the car from spinning. I learned that driving in the rain is much different than racing in the rain....especially when there are championship points involved.

If I see there is a chance of rain I just rain-x the windshield before leaving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAZC5ZX View Post
    Hay Bob I'll sell you mine never installed brand new for 1/2 price.
    Chaz...
    Chaz, you have a deal and I sent you a PM also. Let me know the details.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a challenge series roadster that I run on the street, as well as the coupe which is street legal, but we primarily race it. I do not have wipers on the roadster, but have wipers on the coupe..... A couple of quick observations and tales from the street/track:

1. The roadster windshield carries more "rake", and if maintained clean and slick (RainX, or ??), the water beads off well...I've driven in downpours through Yellowstone and never had real a problem seeing.....The only real issue is if you are following a car that's throwing up lots of spray, or when you are travelling on the freeway in rain and something like a truck passes you (yes, there are cr*** trucks flying by at 75 mph in a downpour)....The filthy water and dirt can make it hard to see at that point.....That said, I've never had to pull over due to lack of visibility.

2. The coupe windshield is a completely different animal (IMHO), sitting much more in an upright position when installed. The nature of the windshield is to not shed water as well, and dirt/mud or road grime from other cars just films over pretty readily....I can see how autocrossing may be fine, as you wouldn't have the added challenge of traffic around you throwing a dirty mist into the air, which then just sticks to the windshield.......If you'll only be driving in fair weather (which is cool), then save the trouble, as the kit is relatively expensive, and quite frankly, it's a bit spindely for the job.....Our wipers failed at the 25, so ask me how I know (BTW...There's a trick to installing the FFR wipers so they don't fail, and when my car was built, the secret decoder ring was not available)...We ended up tearing out the dash on a "pit stop"..Ya, that was fun.....Bottom line...We're replacing our wipers and adding a washer unit for the 25 hours and for the street (our coupe goes on road trips).....I would not drive a coupe without wipers, ever.

K
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen, Thank you for your info and experiences.. I have agreed to purchase a set of the FFR wipers etc and as of yet don't know if the sercret decoder ring comes with my set, if you would be willling to enlighten me concerning how to install the wipers so they don't fail I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    PS you are replacing your wipers with what......

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob,

The main keys to having wipers that work, is to insure that you use the correct tubing, with flares at the tube ends, where they lock into the wheel houses. Additionally, many have replaced the small studs that the wheelhouses have, with more robust bolts and nuts, this insures a very firm clamping between the two pieces of the wheelhouse. Lastely, it may take a little bend to insure that the cable engages the wheel suffeciently. I've attached the URL for the new instructions on this site, specifically to help clear up how these should be install. Don't forget, that these wipers have been in use for many years in MG, Triumph, Jag, and many other British made cars, so they do work.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/conte...-Type-65-Coupe

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 09-28-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hank,
    Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob I sent you A PM
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed wipers from FFR, and I have used them many times. We use he car a lot oon the street, and take long trips - yellowstone, Deadwood, New mexico, etc. I have driven in rain and snow many times.

Just like my truck, moderate to heavy rain is no problem. Water beads up and runs off, and visibility is pretty good without needing to use the wipers. But in very light rain, mist, tire spray, and snow, you really need wipers to keep the windshield clean. In most wet situations that you'll be driving in, you'll need the wipers. If it's a downpour, you'll try and find a place to hole up.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for interpreting Hank.....As both Bob and Hank noted, the FFR supplied wipers do work, and I'm sure if mine been installed with attention to detail in the first place (ours was a running car when we purchased), I wouldn't have the memories of trying to drive with zero visability, or of loosing more than an hour in the pits fixing the wipers in a relentless rainstorm.......Gotta love this forum and the information available here.

Check out post #486 in our thread from the 2010 25 Hours
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr-...-hours-17.html

Wanna drive with no wipers? (Pass the Windex please!)
    http://www.vimeo.com/17945979

http://www.vimeo.com/17911611
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!