Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Price Point?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Price Point?

Purely speculative but what would be the price point at which you feel the F9 is buildable for you? Personally if this kit can go for around $35,000 then it would be an extra $50 - $75,000 to finish right. Thoughts?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would think 75K is a starting point. Most likely higher depending on options, engine, ETC.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

3. Likes Frank818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I would think 75K is a starting point. Most likely higher depending on options, engine, ETC.
    You might be right with an all carbon-fiber body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering if they got the windows right on this one. Doubtful based upon their past products.

6. Likes Aircontroller, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although the base price of the kit may go up due to the carbon body, there’s significant savings to be had if FFR delivers on the reduced bodywork promise. You may be able to get away with skipping the paint or only opting for extra clear coat. It’s hard to tell the quality of the bodywork in the teaser video but my goodness is that a sexy looking car as is.

8. Likes Aircontroller, Santiago liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered my 11th kit this week. First time building a Hot Rod. It's your basic $20k kit, but with options, I'm writing a check for $30k and I didn't get wheels and tires. Using similar ratios, I'm guessing that if the kit price is in the $35k range, that it is likely that a typical purchase price will be in the $45-50k range. I'm not criticizing FFR. I think they provide good value and I'm not opposed to them making money, that is what pays for new product development. Anyway my guess is that when we build our F9, which I hope to do as soon as they are available, I'll have $85-100k in purchases not including paint.

Chris@forma
    Chris

10. Thanks DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, sounds like you’re spot-on. Be careful not to scratch those finished panels! As hard as I try to be careful, I’ve still managed to scratch some of my body panels during the build process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about protecting the panels...They will live in bubble wrap for a very long time. As for the windows, when I last talked to them about windows, they hadn't yet worked through that step, though it was my understanding that they would have windows. If they don't, I will probably develop our own. We are getting close to having fully functional Gen 3 Coupe windows. They were quite the challenge but they work really well.
    Chris

13. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    75k starting would be a hard pill to swollow. You can buy a fully loaded 2020 Corvette for not much more.

15. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA504 View Post
    75k starting would be a hard pill to swollow. You can buy a fully loaded 2020 Corvette for not much more.
    Just joined and that's your first post? Not on board with the "built not bought" concept I guess. Sure, you can buy a new Corvette. Which I agree is a really cool ride BTW. But so can anyone. The enjoyment and satisfaction of the build and making it your own is something else entirely. If that's not for you, buy the Corvette.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

17. Likes Frank818, Jetfuel, DSR-3, UpNorth, blitzace1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just guessing, but I'm thinking since the chassis is pretty much the gen 3 Daytona coupe with some changes, the price to get a running gocart would be comparable, maybe a couple of grand more. So now you're left with the body and probably a more expensive interior. How much of a price difference? Maybe 10-15K? Now, if the body is as nice as they say, it would not necessarily need paint. So that saves 10k compared to a completed coupe. I bet edwardb can tell you exactly what a nice Coupe build costs!
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Just guessing, but I'm thinking since the chassis is pretty much the gen 3 Daytona coupe with some changes, the price to get a running gocart would be comparable, maybe a couple of grand more. So now you're left with the body and probably a more expensive interior. How much of a price difference? Maybe 10-15K? Now, if the body is as nice as they say, it would not necessarily need paint. So that saves 10k compared to a completed coupe. I bet edwardb can tell you exactly what a nice Coupe build costs!
    Everyone's definition of nice is different. But yes, I do know exactly how much my Coupe cost. My wife also knows (thanks for asking...) and that's as far as it will go. The build is all new, has a bunch of high end parts (Gen 3 Coyote, T56, Torsen diff, Wilwood brakes, power steering, heat and A/C, etc. etc.) and it adds up in a hurry. The biggest single wildcard on these builds IMO, and the one with the most variability unless you do it yourself, is the paint. I'm very pleased with how mine turned out. But the body work and paint was very expensive, no way around it. People keep saying no paint on the F9 equals a $10 - 15K savings. Short of DIY or a friend or family in the business, I say it's quite a bit more than that if you want a quality job. If the F9 body really doesn't need paint, that's a huge savings and maybe could be built for around the same price as a Coupe. But Factory Five hasn't given us an answer on the actual kit price and understandably won't until later in the process. So it's all conjecture at this point.

Of course people in this thread, and others, are bringing up some pretty exotic power plant ideas for one of these. Many make the $10K Coyote option seem like a bargain. That's yet another wild card.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-08-2020 at 05:48 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Just joined and that's your first post? Not on board with the "built not bought" concept I guess. Sure, you can buy a new Corvette. Which I agree is a really cool ride BTW. But so can anyone. The enjoyment and satisfaction of the build and making it your own is something else entirely. If that's not for you, buy the Corvette.

Yes, everyone has to have a first post. I've been modifying cars for 20 years and have always considered a Factory Five kit car due to it's price point and uniqueness. I'm all on board with 'built not bought'. But for a 75-100k price point a person can buy a new vette and build it. My perspective is that it's not much different buying a kit vs buying a car and building it. I'm in it for the wrench time.

I hope the F9 won't be priced out of my comfort zone and I'll be able to help support this community.

Post Thanks / Like
    People keep saying no paint on the F9 equals a $10 - 15K savings. Short of DIY or a friend or family in the business, I say it's quite a bit more than that if you want a quality job. If the F9 body really doesn't need paint, that's a huge savings and maybe could be built for around the same price as a Coupe.
    Agreed. Many don't understand the work that goes into just getting the car ready to be painted. We spend HUNDREDS OF HOURS on bodywork on the GTMs here, just to get them ready for primer....and then spend another $10k after that to get them primed, blocked and painted. Yes, if you're doing absolutely all of this yourself, then it's just mostly time and effort....but if you're paying someone to do the bodywork and the paint, a body that needs no bodywork or paint could potentially be a savings of $20-$30k.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is the kit will cost 30-35k with the rest being up to the builder. I can see them selling it for 30 with lots of options available like full custom interior, custom dash and gauges, power windows, and wheels.
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Been gone a long time and excited to be back. Quick hello to EdwardB! I'm excited to see this coupe coming to fruition! I think everyone is barking up the right tree. My feeling is it will roll out similar to the truck and hot rod... probably a body price and then a rolling chassis price to "soften the blow."

I also agree with Edward... I sold my Type 65 Rolling Chassis, damn near ready to drive for more than what I paid for my first Viper (a very rare 2004 White Mamba Edition Gen3) a few years ago, but it was totally a different purchase and direction. I'm working on finishing up an RX7 (track car) and hoping to have it done in time to get in on the F9R now that I have A LOT more spare time and much older baby in the house and one child moved out.

Excited to see what transpires, and I think my only "price concern" is it becoming dangerously close to the SLC (Super Lite Coupe) which is track proven and about the same price. I think for the money I'd go SLC after riding in one. It's also a MUCH more comprehensive kit. Hopefully the F9R rivals it.

Anyway... hope all is well with everyone!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2022 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. I think that I would be interested in building one of these... Wow.

The body looks absolutely amazing! Great Job Guys!
    Do I care that it's made in China?
    No: as long as it wasn't in a Wuhan Lab.

From what I can tell, the Price Point on this guy would be in the 85k-ish range, if done right.

My head is flying after seeing the video of body...

I think that I would use, either a Ferrari 456GT or F12 - 12 Cylinder engine in this car.
    MoTec ECU that will handle a 12 Cylinder Engine, for reliability, performance, as well as Catalytic Converters.
    The Ferrari Trans may need it's own TCU, but not sure...
    Ferrari Ignition and Key. (Ferrari 456GT) Key - Not a Fob.
    I would have a custom Borla Exhaust system made, that is not annoyingly loud, but provides a wonderful, yet slightly muted 12 Cyl symphonic rumble.
    I would have an adapter made to match an earlier 6-speed manual trans (probably from a 456GT), driving a matching Ferrari differential.
    Full Italian leather and alcantara interior. (Probably Cream/Beige or a Burgundy Red.)
    A set of Ferrari seats if they will fit. Otherwise, a custom built set of seats (again).
    Bentley wool carpets.
    A lot of DynoMat sound deadener.
    Vintage Air HVAC System
    A nice Sound System
    As much as I would hate to do it, I would paint the body, Ferrari - Silverstone Grigio - Medium Grey. (And also maintain as much of the beautiful carbon fiber as possible).
    Michelin PS what-evers on 19 & 20" HRE Wheels. (Because I prefer Michelin Tires over Pirelli).
    And a hydraulic lift kit.

Did I say 85k? If I used a Mercedes AMG Engine, Trans, and Rear Diff, I could probably do it for that amount.
    With the Ferrari drive train, the price would probably move into the 100 to 115 range.

But it would be a fun and beautiful car!

I'm smilin'.

See you guys soon...!
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-18-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward, I agree with you. The experience is in the build.
    I was asked the other day if I could have bought a finished car for less. My answer was why would I buy someone else’s creation. This is my dream!

Callahan

26. Likes blitzace1 liked this post