Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Mk IV Wipers

Post Thanks / Like

Mk IV Wipers

You guys did so good with my sun visor installation, I thought I would use you again for my wipers.
    I have the motor and all wiring done. Body is in gel coat and on the car.
    I will be reading the threads that are easy to find, but will be glad to hear any tips on mounting and assembling the tubes, boxes and blades.
    thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s a monkey motion setup that sounds like it is self destructing when running...that’s normal ( remember, it’s a British design and execution!) Despite that they will work. White grease is your friend; use it liberally on the wheel boxes and cable. Do your setup without the arms and when you finally install them don’t run the blades on dry glass—put a paper towel between the blade and glass while testing.

Cheers,
    Jeff

3. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...and make sure the wheel boxes are gapped correctly. The gears will strip if there is too much play.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

5. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest bytch of the install is bending the supplied Stainless Steel guide tubing used between the motor & wheelboxes. Go slow & easy and it'll work.

**Tip**
    Make 100% sure that the threaded ferrule that attaches the guide tubing to the motor lines up square & perpendicular. It needs to start & thread on with finger pressure. Don't try and pull it into alignment with tools. The threaded stub (housing) on the motor is made of die-cast "Chineseum" and will strip out in a heartbeat.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

7. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    It’s a monkey motion setup that sounds like it is self destructing when running...that’s normal...

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff, that has to be the best advertisement I've yet heard for the wipers. :-)

Thank god they're not required here in Cali for title/registration.

- m
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

9. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    The biggest bytch of the install is bending the supplied Stainless Steel guide tubing used between the motor & wheelboxes. Go slow & easy and it'll work.
    Very true! I found that my portable air tank from HF had just the right radius, so all I had to do was bend the tubing over it with my hands.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

11. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t have a flaring tool that would do the SS tubes so I used Nicop 3/8 fuel line instead.
    If I was doing it again I might have drilled the body holes symmetrical like the original cars instead of offset to the drivers side as per the FFR instructions.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

13. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After following all the good advice that you will receive on this issue, coat your windshield with rain-x and turn the wipers on only as a last resort.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

15. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Likes Gromit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Replies and advise greatly appreciated. I have been told by a fellow owner, the wipers are useless. I do not doubt it, but want them on the car, before it goes for paint.
    Do I need to open the gear box on motor and grease it up? I have the old instructions.
    It looks like I am missing one of the wave washers and want to look at edwardb's substitution of the rubber sleeves.
    I might bend the wiper arms, depends on how the install goes and looks.
    Thanks again for the help.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used mine in heavy rain yet, but I do have a softop and plan to take my car on long trips. I have used the wipers to clear light rain and they worked fine for that. They are small and British, but like on a Jag or MGB they will work okay.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a soft top and have been caught in the rain a couple of times and the wipers worked good. The wiper boxes and tubing supplied with my kit in 2012 didn't match up well. The cable would barely engage the wheels in the boxes. I took everything apart and reworked the tubing attach points to make the cable fully engage on the teeth on the wheels. My daughter accidentally proved they can run on dry glass without damage trying to turn on the aux power for the stereo. After that she sprayed us with wiper washer fluid. This lead to the father daughter talk about "think then do" not, "do then think" and if you don't know ask.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

19. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    Thank god they're not required here in Cali for title/registration.

- m
    Hey Mark - is this true that they are not required or is it simply that they are typically not checked for? Backup lights are technically required, but from what I've heard they are never checked for in an inspection in CA. If wipers are actually not required, I'd love to not install them. We don't get random rain storms in the summer here, so I foresee zero instances of being caught out in the rain unexpectedly. If I can avoid installing wipers I'd love to do so.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.