Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Whoch way to set up select shift?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forward up

2 100.00%
  • Backward up

0 0%

Thread: What do y’all think of manual shifting for auto preference...

Post Thanks / Like

What do y’all think of manual shifting for auto preference...

*edit*. Never mind! It’s already printed on the shifter so I’m gonna do it that way.

I am setting up my shifter for the select shift option today or tomorrow. Basically, with the 6r80 and controls pack ecu, I can use momentary switches to manually upshift and downshift. It’s supposed to be “paddle shifters” like in the new mustang, but my shifter has a function where you move it to the side from the D positions then you can bump it forward or backwards to upshift or downshift. So, do you folks think forward should be up and back is down, or forward is down and back is up? Neither one feels naturally wrong or right to me, but backwards being downshift does feel like it might be more right in a “downshifting to pass” type test (while sitting in my recliner). What do you more experienced hot rodders think?
    Last edited by Svtfreak; 05-27-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    my 350z is exactly like that - fwd to up shift - I like it

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Though I'm not a fan of "Paddle Shifting" I did have a manual valve body in my old Z/28 (Turbo 400) along with a transmission brake.
    It was fun to drive in spite of being an automatic that had to be shifted manually and launches were amazingly hard.
    My recommendation is to "Geaux For It" because it is your dream that you will be building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I went out and looked at it and, I’ll be dadgum if it ain’t already marked on the shifter lol! So, poll canceled. And it’s exactly as you said sread. I haven’t ever had a forward and back auto with manual shifting car so I didn’t know for sure.

Steve, this one will be auto still. But you can take over. Example, go to pass someone, I’ll be able to clock it down a few gears in advance and not wait for the trans to decide to. That’ll be especially helpful since I have it tuned kinda slow and soft to offset the super steep gears and almost-is-not-quite-enough horsepower. After you do that, it waits a few seconds then takes back over. Should be really sweet, useful and trick.

'33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.