Last Chance Auto Restore

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  6
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: My T5 is crooked

  1. #1
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like

    My T5 is crooked

    Hi guys. I'm really just looking for corroboration here. I received my Blueprint engine / transmission this morning. I'm a couple weeks away from being ready to put it in the car. I went with the 302 with a Holly Sniper and a T5 transmission. Within minutes of its arrival, I had the crate walls removed. Blueprint does a nice job of protecting and packaging the drivetrain. So, as I inspected everything about my new toy, I noticed that the T5 is about 8 degrees rotated towards the drivers side. Meaning that the shift bracket does not sit perfectly vertical. Where it mounts to the bell housing, the passenger side is much higher than the drivers side. I'm an OCD guy, so I noticed it right away. I spoke to Johnny from Blueprint and he asked me to email him pictures. He got back to me quickly and said that it's normal. I do trust him, but I guess I'm looking for anybody who has experienced this or has first hand knowledge. Thanks in advance for any comments. FYI, the yellow line in the picture is my addition with photoshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Gordon Levy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maricopa AZ
    Posts
    1,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    normal
    Go Fast Part and tech Specialist gordon@levyracing.com
    http://www.facebook.com/levyracing www.lrclassicsllc.com
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up
    Completed over 230 FFR builds in the last 25 years and still counting

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! I'm dealing with the exact same thing. I assumed it was because I hadn't trimmed the mounting tab on the PS just in front of the shifter (in your pic, the zip tie is through it). This tab might cause clearance issues with your e brake mount. I'm in the process of trying to trim this off with the trans already installed. I'll let you know if this fixes my tilt to the DS and also check my own bellhousing.

  4. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member edwardb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Posts
    8,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Gordon said, totally normal. Had a T5 in my #5125 build. These pictures show (1) it's rotated off to the LH side as you're finding, (2) if you zoom in on the second picture where the T5 mounts to the bell housing, shows the same as yours. I didn't remember exactly, but in the second picture you can also see I apparently trimmed back the tab on the side of the transmission to clear the e-brake. Other than that, the T5 fits easily. It's small compared to its TKO big brother which also fits.



    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Build Thread

  6. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NA5KAR View Post
    Hi guys. I'm really just looking for corroboration here. I received my Blueprint engine / transmission this morning. I'm a couple weeks away from being ready to put it in the car. I went with the 302 with a Holly Sniper and a T5 transmission. Within minutes of its arrival, I had the crate walls removed. Blueprint does a nice job of protecting and packaging the drivetrain. So, as I inspected everything about my new toy, I noticed that the T5 is about 8 degrees rotated towards the drivers side. Meaning that the shift bracket does not sit perfectly vertical. Where it mounts to the bell housing, the passenger side is much higher than the drivers side. I'm an OCD guy, so I noticed it right away. I spoke to Johnny from Blueprint and he asked me to email him pictures. He got back to me quickly and said that it's normal. I do trust him, but I guess I'm looking for anybody who has experienced this or has first hand knowledge. Thanks in advance for any comments. FYI, the yellow line in the picture is my addition with photoshop.
    just checked my T5, and this is the exact issue i'm experiencing. at first, i assumed it was the tab interefering w/ the ebrake mount. after closer inspection, there doesn't appear to be any contact between the tab and the mount. my trans to bellhousing is also a bit angled, leaving the top of my shifter plate to lean a few degrees to my DS. I was worried i'd need to pull the trans out to cut off this stupid tab. thanks for posting. very timely!

  8. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
  9. #6

    Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    GoDadGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    5,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    The angle is even worse on T-5's used in the 3rd generation Camaros from 1982-1991.

    Check out this jewel of a bellhousing to see it leaned even further to the left:

    https://www.ebay.com/p/659547843

  10. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
  11. #7
    Senior Member walt mckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Perkasie, PA
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    normal
    Why is the T5 rotated from level? Does the mount to the chassis need to be shimmed to compensate? Is the lube level affected? Being a plumb, level, and squared away kind of guy, that would drive me nuts.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

  12. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tybee Island, GA
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like
    NA5KAR, this would probably be the right time to notify you (If you weren't aware) that when you install the engine transmission combo, it's also normal that they'll be off center a little toward the passenger side of the car. Designed to be like that to offset the weight of the driver (I had asked the question when installing mine a few years ago).

    You're doing great and congrats on the combo from Blue Print
    Dave

    (Since you're in Coral Springs; did you see Nascar is allowing spectators for the Homestead Race?)
    Last edited by DadofThree; 06-10-2020 at 07:45 AM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

  13. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
  14. #9
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    NA5KAR, this would probably be the right time to notify you (If you weren't aware) that when you install the engine transmission combo, it's also normal that they'll be off center a little toward the passenger side of the car. Designed to be like that to offset the weight of the driver (I had asked the question when installing mine a few years ago).

    You're doing great and congrats on the combo from Blue Print
    Dave

    (Since you're in Coral Springs; did you see Nascar is allowing spectators for the Homestead Race?)
    Thanks Dave. I was aware of the PS offset. My OCD will allow that. I haven't been to a Nascar race in years. Would enjoy going, but lost interest years ago when I realized that the drivers were a bunch of rich cry babies. Thanks for the heads up.

  15. Likes Railroad liked this post
  16. #10
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    just checked my T5, and this is the exact issue i'm experiencing. at first, i assumed it was the tab interefering w/ the ebrake mount. after closer inspection, there doesn't appear to be any contact between the tab and the mount. my trans to bellhousing is also a bit angled, leaving the top of my shifter plate to lean a few degrees to my DS. I was worried i'd need to pull the trans out to cut off this stupid tab. thanks for posting. very timely!
    Thanks for the comments. I don't know what the effect will be on the e-brake, but I imagine it will be fine. I've received several confirmations that the tilt is normal. I'll consider it normal. Thanks

  17. #11
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    As Gordon said, totally normal. Had a T5 in my #5125 build. These pictures show (1) it's rotated off to the LH side as you're finding, (2) if you zoom in on the second picture where the T5 mounts to the bell housing, shows the same as yours. I didn't remember exactly, but in the second picture you can also see I apparently trimmed back the tab on the side of the transmission to clear the e-brake. Other than that, the T5 fits easily. It's small compared to its TKO big brother which also fits.



    Thanks so much for the confirmation. It caught my eye immediately when I unpacked the crate. I feel much better that it happened to others. On another note, I love your threads. They have been like a bible for me as I slowly move forward. Thanks for the help.

  18. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
  19. #12
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Ha! I'm dealing with the exact same thing. I assumed it was because I hadn't trimmed the mounting tab on the PS just in front of the shifter (in your pic, the zip tie is through it). This tab might cause clearance issues with your e brake mount. I'm in the process of trying to trim this off with the trans already installed. I'll let you know if this fixes my tilt to the DS and also check my own bellhousing.
    Glad I'm not alone in this issue. From the responses I've received, and the Google stuff I've read, this is normal. I'm interested in the results of your fitment issue. Thanks again.

  20. #13
    BluePrintEngines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad everything is confirmed and we're all set.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

  21. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Likes NA5KAR liked this post
  22. #14
    Not a waxer Jeff Kleiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    5,893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ford made it that way on purpose. And in case you didn’t already know, don’t be alarmed when you notice that the engine is not centered in the chassis...Factory Five did that on purpose too

    Jeff

  23. Likes Erik W. Treves liked this post
  24. #15
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Ford made it that way on purpose. And in case you didn’t already know, don’t be alarmed when you notice that the engine is not centered in the chassis...Factory Five did that on purpose too

    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I'm good with the offset.

  25. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NA5KAR View Post
    Glad I'm not alone in this issue. From the responses I've received, and the Google stuff I've read, this is normal. I'm interested in the results of your fitment issue. Thanks again.
    to make it easier, trim that tab off anyway. mine is clear of the ebrake mount, but it might make it easier to insert the drivetrain. I did the pulley modification of the ebrake as described by edwardb and was worried about the PS bias of the transmission getting in the way. there's room, but it's tight once the trans is in. if you plan on doing this mod, do it before you insert the drivetrain.

  26. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Likes NA5KAR liked this post
  27. #17
    Senior Member Avalanche325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Jax Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NA5KAR View Post
    I'm an OCD guy, so I noticed it right away.
    Wait until you put the engine in and find it doesn't sit level. Cobras and rulers are not a good combination.

  28. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Likes NA5KAR liked this post
  29. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    567
    Post Thanks / Like
    right wait until you see the body the right and left are not the same.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

  30. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Likes NA5KAR liked this post
  31. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tybee Island, GA
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like
    But in all of this imperfection, don't sweat it! Nobody will notice but you. They're stunning and a ton of fun, even with their flaws! (pic CSX 3102)

    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

  32. #20
    Senior Member GTBradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    1,302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    right wait until you see the body the right and left are not the same.
    David W
    What a relief! I thought I was the only one.
    Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.
    POM - July 2020
    Graduation thread
    The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

  33. #21
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    But in all of this imperfection, don't sweat it! Nobody will notice but you. They're stunning and a ton of fun, even with their flaws! (pic CSX 3102)

    Love that pic! You're right ... I'm the only one who will see it. I'm 100% ok with it. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this. Thanks

  34. #22
    Senior Member NA5KAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    What a relief! I thought I was the only one.
    that's the reason I started the post. Johnny from Blueprint was awesome when I asked him about it. He got verification from his techs and from FFR. I was satisfied with his answer. I only wanted to see if others had the same experience.

  35. #23
    Senior Member rich grsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    What did you expect, that is how it was designed?
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

  36. #24
    Senior Member Avalanche325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Jax Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember freaking out when I saw how crooked the hood opening was. The forum set me straight......well, set me crooked.

  37. #25
    Administrator David Hodgkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Corona del Mar, CA
    Posts
    5,791
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by walt mckenna View Post
    Why is the T5 rotated from level? Does the mount to the chassis need to be shimmed to compensate? Is the lube level affected? Being a plumb, level, and squared away kind of guy, that would drive me nuts.
    The Mounts line up vertically. When I was building ol' 5369 and saw how it went together I figured, "Huh. Leaning toward the driver... cool". The trans mount fit so I really didn't think about it again until this thread.


    FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)


  38. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the TKO 600 rotated the same way?

  39. #27
    Senior Member RoadRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Manor, TX
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
    Is the TKO 600 rotated the same way?
    No, it sits level
    James

    FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), delivered 4/17, driving 2/21! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link w/brace & sway bar, GT500 wheels
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 37 Ford, 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

  40. Thanks Joe D thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Martin's Dent and Collision Shop

Visit our community sponsor